Started on: 01-04-2016 07:00 PM
Replies: 10 (565 views)
Last post by: CJB118 on 01-10-2016 12:33 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you post a (maybe) $2000 car on Craigslist, asking $2500, and it doesn't sell for the duration of the ad, what makes you think that if you repost it again for $500 more that it will sell, then?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple answer

If it is priced "fair" sometimes people think fair is too cheap. Many people figure if it is too cheap there must be something wrong with it and they won't call.

The buying public seems to live their lives to b itch and if they have nothing to b itch about then they try to find something to b itch about.

The buying public also has in their head that they must buy things at 20-50% off of the asking price. By listing a low price and taking the low-ballin' out of the equation the buyer doesn't feel like he has won.

Raising the price actually makes everyone happy.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Simple answer

If it is priced "fair" sometimes people think fair is too cheap. Many people figure if it is too cheap there must be something wrong with it and they won't call.

The buying public seems to live their lives to b itch and if they have nothing to b itch about then they try to find something to b itch about.

The buying public also has in their head that they must buy things at 20-50% off of the asking price. By listing a low price and taking the low-ballin' out of the equation the buyer doesn't feel like he has won.

Sounds funny but I had the same thing happen. Years ago I listed a car for $400, no response. Listed it again for $695, sold 2 days later for $550.
Raising the price actually makes everyone happy.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 01-04-2016).]

robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the one you are talking about...lol
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always best to ask for more and let the buyer 'beat you up' and buy it at a lower price! (Your price)
I once worked at a sports store that sold golf 'pond balls' (retrieved by divers) $.45 each or two for $.99. It took a couple of weeks before the customers caught on but they all thought they were getting one heck of a deal!

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 01-04-2016).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People do some very funny things. We had a new house in the neighborhood that sat for a year priced at $300,000. It was then priced at $325,000 and sold within two months without any changes to the house, paint, or landscaping.

Nelson
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I tried for weeks to sell my '96 Tahoe for $2k but sold it in one weekend once I raised the price to $2600. Guy felt real good negotiating me down to $2200 and we both walked away very happy.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone with a slightly different car for sale always wants to put price up as after placing car for sale as you get so many calls from interstate which can't even kick tires just bother you. So overprice the car and negotiate down to locals that can actually buy.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 01-05-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2016 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you post a (maybe) $2000 car on Craigslist, asking $2500, and it doesn't sell for the duration of the ad, what makes you think that if you repost it again for $500 more that it will sell, then?

It's Craigslist.

Trick is, post it for sale for double of what you actually want, because everybody is going to just offer you half right off the bat anyway.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not so much putting a high price just to let people beat you down, it's more putting a high price to show yours is in better condition. I've had a better time selling cars if I hardly budge on the price. Because people realize I must be honest with the price and it's fair, so I'm not budging much. If I go down 1,000 dollars I look desperate to sell it. Also like some have mentioned some people arnt cheap asses like most of us lol. I couldn't sell my CB350 for $400. But someone bought it within an hour after I changed the price to $1000. Because he thought it must be nicer since he's paying $1000 bucks not $400.

So price it high, but fairly. Let them negotiatiate but don't budge to much. Take good honest pictures!!!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've noticed a widebody Fiero turbo on NH CL for months now at $8000.00. Just popped up again in my search, but now it is at $9000.00....

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock