Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  N.O.S. - Reproduction - Quality Used - Hell, I don't care, a part is a part.....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
N.O.S. - Reproduction - Quality Used - Hell, I don't care, a part is a part..... by Thunderstruck GT
Started on: 01-01-2016 07:26 PM
Replies: 23 (522 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 01-05-2016 10:13 PM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What parts do you buy for your car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In order of preference:
Authentic Fiero (almost always used then of course) but don't usually care what year... *
AC Delco preferred if I have to buy 'wear' items, but not if other brands are good quality & cheaper enough...
Reproductions if necessary, and very grateful for the availability!

*For my '84 SE's 30th birthday, I got excellent condition seats from a local yard advertising an '85.
When I got there, the seats were the brown striped cloth exclusive to '84 SE. $30 each + professional cleaning ($50?)
The car actually was an '84 - verified by other items & the VIN. Got the dash for $70 & some other parts. Happy day!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 01-01-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOS if I can find it.

Repo if I can't find it NOS

Used if I can't find it in either above.

One extra rule Repo if they made it better than the original because of a factory flaw.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

NOS if I can find it.

One extra rule Repo if they made it better than the original because of a factory flaw.

Other than service parts, what is out in the market that is better than OEM?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Rodney Dickman
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What parts do you buy for your car?

The ones I need, whether to repair something, modify it, or to prepare for a longer term project for building the car I want.

So far I've bought quite a lot of parts for my car, which comprises a very lengthy and expensive list.
Here's a few non-GM/Delco manufacturers I've collected parts from for my build:

Callies
Lunati
Harland Sharp
Isky
Del West
Black Cat Customs
Showa (Honda NSX/S2000 steering rack)
Champion Radiator
Comp Cams
Wiseco
ARP

That's ignoring all the things already on the car, and stuff from other GM vehicles that will be swapped in. And there will be plenty more added to the list in the future.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Rodney Dickman

Beat me to it. Rodney is the FIRST place I look for anything. If Rodney doesn't have it, THEN I start looking elsewhere. I'm talking about ANY part.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who ever is cheapest, sorry on a fixed income now and parts prices for NOS and Delco, are in outer space. But then my Fiero is a Daily summer driver, if we ain't getting animal feed, 7 or 800 lbs at a time we drive the Fiero, Hey it gets a lot better ,mileage than ether of our 4x4 trucks.

Now if money was no object or I was restoring something for shows it would be,

NOS, Delco, NAPA best quality parts, but the world is not the same for everyone.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Who ever is cheapest, sorry on a fixed income now and parts prices for NOS and Delco, are in outer space. But then my Fiero is a Daily summer driver, if we ain't getting animal feed, 7 or 800 lbs at a time we drive the Fiero, Hey it gets a lot better ,mileage than ether of our 4x4 trucks.

NOS, Delco, NAPA best quality parts, but the world is not the same for everyone.

Steve

I've played the "whatever's cheapest" game plenty of times in the past, and sometimes I win, most of the time I lose. Usually buying "whatever's cheapest" costs MORE money once you have to go buy the same part a few times after it fails, and then finally spend the money you SHOULD have spent in the first place to buy the quality part that you would only have had to buy once.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney and even the Fiero Store has offered Repo parts that address the failings of the OE parts. Not a lot of them but enough that it makes a difference if you have one of the bad OE ones like the V6 EGR tubes etc.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked at a parts store on and off for over 4 years before I became an Automotive Engineer. Still have my ASE Certification after renewing it last year. Part quality varies WILDLY. I used to go to 5 parts stores in town to get parts to work on different cars, because I knew who had the best parts of a particular type, and the best prices. Certain brake and suspension parts are downright dangerous. Where I buy the parts, depends what I need.

The problem with some NOS parts now is, the rubber is too old, the plastic gets brittle over time, the glue softens u and deteriorates, etc.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll go out of my way to aquire an NOS or used GM/Pontiac part over an aftermarket or repop part because I have an American Pontiac not a Taiwan one.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on what is is, I'd rather go the wreckers and get an original OEM part in good used condition than a brand new aftermarket replacement. Front '88 wheel bearings/hubs are a good example of that.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-02-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in my antique Harley days 45 WL's were pulling $12,500.00 tops when restored with high quality repop parts.

I got $18,000.00 for my 1942 45 WL because I went out of my way to use original and NOS parts. Did it cost me more to build? Yes! But nowhere near the $5500.00 difference and while other seller sat on their's for quite awhile, mine sold FAST!.

Making it right makes a difference no matter what it is.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the replacement after market there are many now that specialize in replacement parts and not only are they equal the quality but often improve the part.

Case in point The plastic 3.8 Intakes from GM crack. Dorman makes a replacement that takes care of this. In fact Dorman makes many parts the MFG no longer make too. Many times these are better than any junk yard part.

Lets face it unless you have had an accident many times you are replacing a part because there was a failure. Also in the era we are working GM did not always have things sorted out and often used the lowest bidder.

Same at Ford. Dorman does the same for their parts as does Brodix. They make V6 heads that will not warp or crack for the Taurus.

Napa also makes things many MFG will not supply. I had a GM wiper motor with a delay. It has a short and would wipe and stop when ever it felt like on or off. GM wanted big bucks for wiper motor. NAPA had the part that needed replace. A small board that I could change on the car for $15 in place of $179 from GM.

Like stated above you need to know what you are dealing with and were to go. Stop worrying about who made it and where and just worry about the quality. The fact is part from China are all junk is a myth as is all parts made here are perfect. You get good and bad from all places and just need to focus in the parts themselves.

In fact things like Rotors etc. it is difficult to get them from America anymore for most cars.

Parts are now coming from all over. Not only America and Asia but India, Australia, England, South America, Mexico, Canada etc.

Generally the one thing to watch is if you are getting a really good deal there may be a reason. Check the part well.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same here

Originally posted by hyperv6:

NOS if I can find it.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the part. Most regular maintenance items I buy over the counter parts. I'm not looking for NOS or reproduction light bulbs, tires, shocks, etc.
Last time I did brakes, I used NOS loaded calipers because I could find them.
That said, if Rodney Dickman sells it, he's my first choice regardless of the part. Some of the Rodney Dickman parts on my car:
*Ball joints, upper and lower
*Shift cable.
*Shifter rebuilt kit
*Sport OEM shifter
*Slave cylinder
*Tie rods
I'm sure I've forgetting a bunch. Short answer, if it weren't for Rodney, my car wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

If he sells it, it's the best quality you're likely to find. The only exception would be if you could find NOS '88 front wheel hubs. I'd still take his parts of used ones, though.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2016 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In some cases the OEM parts are better and in other cases the reproductions are better. For instance lets take the repro dew wipes sold by seajai. His are IMO better than old OEM stock and cost less.. The are made of fresh rubber, and the form fit and function are exactly like the originals. Even a show car expert could not tell the difference. Same with Moog suspension parts. Now in the case of the quarter windows sold by Chris Cook they are good but not exactly like the OEM windows and you won't fool a car show judge with them.
It all depends on the part and who makes it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

In some cases the OEM parts are better and in other cases the reproductions are better. For instance lets take the repro dew wipes sold by seajai. His are IMO better than old OEM stock and cost less.. The are made of fresh rubber, and the form fit and function are exactly like the originals. Even a show car expert could not tell the difference. Same with Moog suspension parts. Now in the case of the quarter windows sold by Chris Cook they are good but not exactly like the OEM windows and you won't fool a car show judge with them.
It all depends on the part and who makes it.

That's good to know about the weatherstrips.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

I've played the "whatever's cheapest" game plenty of times in the past, and sometimes I win, most of the time I lose. Usually buying "whatever's cheapest" costs MORE money once you have to go buy the same part a few times after it fails, and then finally spend the money you SHOULD have spent in the first place to buy the quality part that you would only have had to buy once.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Everything I bought from Rodney, was top quality...and will continue to purchase / support his company.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must also agree on Rodney as a source of quality parts. His steering rack bushing and lift strut sets are particularly good.
Fiero Store is another top notch source on most repro parts. Ordered the Fiero Store GT door moldings and for $18.95 ea they fit exactly like stock.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney's ball joints are top notch. I couldn't recommend them enough.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Steve

I can understand your low budget. It probably works ok. However, regardless of budget, you should never "cheap out" when it comes to critical suspension parts like ball joints and tie rods.
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock