88 am/fm cass radio by 03Showbike
Started on: 12-15-2015 06:57 PM
Replies: 16 (258 views)
Last post by: Thunderstruck GT on 12-16-2015 10:16 AM
03Showbike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 03ShowbikeSend a Private Message to 03ShowbikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any help out there. I think I might need a new radio. The passenger rear speaker is crackling pretty good. I changed it out with another one that I know is good, did the same thing. Front passenger is soso. Drivers side front & back work ok. (Sub woofer sucks). Any ideas. I took the radio out and blew air in the connectors. Am I going to need a new radio? If so, anyone have an 88?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are rebuilders out there that will make your radio like new again, or there are other radios that will fit. OR....you can ask in the MALL and probably get a stock one.
I had mine rebuilt for not much money and it works great.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-15-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your radio is not the UX1 it will be easy and cheap to find a replacement.

But to answer your question, your problem is common. I don't know if there is some sort of home brew fix but everyone I know just buys another unit.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone explain this to me, why does everyone want a stock radio now, it was always the first thing I would swap out in a car.
03Showbike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 03ShowbikeSend a Private Message to 03ShowbikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radio in my 88 is the factory an/fm cass with equalizer and sub woofer. I want to keep my fiero all original. So, my choices are, find someone and have this one worked on or find a donor replacement of the same.
Can anyone out there help?!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't crackling in the speakers a common problem with dirty volume controls? I think for that people just take the cover off and spray some contact cleaner on the volume control then work twist it back and forth stop to stop a few times. Repeat the process 4 or 5 times and put it back together. At least I thought I read that on here somewhere.

Does it get worse or pop louder or anything when you turn the volume control?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-15-2015).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually if the speaker crackles it is the speaker, the sub probably has no surround left, common for factory subs, you can get a new surround and glue it on, I have done that a few times on the factory subs they they sound as good as they do, better than most replacement subs of the same size. If you come to Vegas I can test your deck for you as I made a deck tester to see if it is the deck is bad or not.
03Showbike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 03ShowbikeSend a Private Message to 03ShowbikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try cleaning the knobs. I air sprayed all over. I know it's not the speaker, I took the rear passenger side speaker out and put another one that I knew was ok and it did the same crackling sound. Yes, it does change as I turn up & down the volume. Its frustrating.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
then go to rat shack and as posted above they sell cleaner.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 03Showbike:Yes, it does change as I turn up & down the volume. Its frustrating.

Then I would use some electrical contact cleaner on the knob and the sub level slider near the map light. Blowing with air won't really help. You need a liquid that will soak in and dislodge any corrosion or dirt/dust. Some people have used WD40 with some success but it wouldn't be what I would suggest using. WD40 will leave an oily film which while it may work at first will be quicker to attract dirt/dust most likely causing the problem to return quicker. That and the solvents used in WD40 can make plastic brittle.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Someone explain this to me, why does everyone want a stock radio now, it was always the first thing I would swap out in a car.

I can't speak for the others, but I can't stand mis-matched controls in the car. Aftermarket stereos always stand out like a sore thumb, in my opinion. I'd probably feel differently if I was an audio buff, but I'm not. I listen to the radio and I still have lots of cassettes.

For awhile, I had one of the late-90s Grand Am CD radios in my Fiero, but it always bugged me because the rounded "organic" knobs and buttons always screamed "90s Grand Am" to me. Eventually I switched back to an 80s Delco cassette from another Fiero because I liked it much better.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

css9450

5423 posts
Member since Nov 2002

Originally posted by 03Showbike:

Any help out there. I think I might need a new radio. The passenger rear speaker is crackling pretty good. I changed it out with another one that I know is good, did the same thing. Front passenger is soso. Drivers side front & back work ok. (Sub woofer sucks). Any ideas. I took the radio out and blew air in the connectors. Am I going to need a new radio? If so, anyone have an 88?

This thread might help: Seems to be a common problem and its always the passenger's (right) side.

http://www.a-body.net/forum...tatic-thumping-noise

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Isn't crackling in the speakers a common problem with dirty volume controls? I think for that people just take the cover off and spray some contact cleaner on the volume control then work twist it back and forth stop to stop a few times. Repeat the process 4 or 5 times and put it back together. At least I thought I read that on here somewhere.

Does it get worse or pop louder or anything when you turn the volume control?

I agree, contact cleaner I have used it with a lot of successful results on a lot of electronic devises. But don't spray everything, start with just the volume controls, let it dry before turning it back on. I also think changing a $750 radio with a hundred dollar one is a mistake, makes the dash look bad, not to mention they don't sound as good as what OEM does, but that's just me.

GM spent a lot of money on building testing and such for the cabins and abuse a auto radio gets, not sure what kind of testing a aftermarket radio gets but I am sure it is not as much.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-16-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

If your radio is not the UX1 it will be easy and cheap to find a replacement.

But to answer your question, your problem is common. I don't know if there is some sort of home brew fix but everyone I know just buys another unit.

Originally posted by 03Showbike:

The radio in my 88 is the factory an/fm cass with equalizer and sub woofer. I want to keep my fiero all original. So, my choices are, find someone and have this one worked on or find a donor replacement of the same.
Can anyone out there help?!

That is the UX1

Good luck finding one. They are out there but the pickins is slim.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Because people want their cars "factory correct". Like mentioned in other threads about people hacking up cars to modify them, it's their car... it's their money.

Some people like to hack them up, some don't.

Kudos to the OP for preserving history.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

Originally posted by css9450:

This thread might help: Seems to be a common problem and its always the passenger's (right) side.

http://www.a-body.net/forum...tatic-thumping-noise

DAMN!

That's an awesome link. Now I can fix a few that I have laying around.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock