Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Recently got my uncles 1986 Fiero GT, I would like to increase its power

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Recently got my uncles 1986 Fiero GT, I would like to increase its power by Thoard
Started on: 12-07-2015 10:59 PM
Replies: 13 (343 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 12-08-2015 05:23 PM
Thoard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThoardSend a Private Message to ThoardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to put more horsepower into my car, but my uncle has told me that this V6 isn't the best for mods, that if I really wanted to increase the power it would be best to do an engine swap, because I'm still new to the car, I have no idea what my options are and which ones would be best for me, and I feel bad asking him everything all the time, maybe you guys can help? My uncle did suggest the 3800 sc swap
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the 3800 is notably the easiest and more economical of the swaps available. From start to finish, it is not a cheap process however. Expect to pay around $4,000 as a bare minimum for everything you need to be able to get in, turn the key and drive it. That price is if you do most of the labor yourself.

Not trying to discourage you, just being upfront and honest. I am in the process myself right now

Have a LOOK HERE for some threads and more information on what all is involved.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where in Nevada are you? Private message me if you don't want to share. I do just about everything with Fieros I may be able to help.

See my sig.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Thoard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThoardSend a Private Message to ThoardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, and yes I now what is going to be involved but the way I see it, a beautiful car like this deserves some muscle, my uncle has made it very clear it's going to be a pain, but nothing worth gaining is easy, and I'm in the Vegas area but my uncle Kurt gives me any assistance I require, I just feel bad bugging him all the time, I will look into those threads thank you both
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
try to find someone out there who has a 3800SC and ask if you can ride along (or drive). if you are into muscle the plain SC may not quite do it for you. And if you have the money to play with upgrading the 3800 with a cam, intercooler, Gen V supercharger (in place of the Gen III), throttle body etc you might consider doing it while you have a motor on the garage floor. But add another $2,000 or so to the cost for 90-110 more hp.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how much muscle you want the 3800 to throw down with you can also slap on a turbo. The next biggest mod IMO is e85 fuel + the matching tune.

Stay with the Series II engines or get a L32 Series III SC engine. Don't get a L26 NA series III as they are the weakest of the bunch.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thoard:

Thank you, and yes I now what is going to be involved but the way I see it, a beautiful car like this deserves some muscle, my uncle has made it very clear it's going to be a pain, but nothing worth gaining is easy, and I'm in the Vegas area but my uncle Kurt gives me any assistance I require, I just feel bad bugging him all the time, I will look into those threads thank you both

Kurt Mylar? Is this the black car he slammed and smoothed out?
Thoard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThoardSend a Private Message to ThoardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Kurt Mylar? Is this the black car he slammed and smoothed out?

I don't think it is the same one, but the car was one of his so it has been lowered, my uncle reluctantly parted with a red one he had, and boy am I glad he did, the Fiero is an amazing car
Thoard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThoardSend a Private Message to ThoardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thoard

6 posts
Member since Dec 2015

Originally posted by nosrac:

Depending on how much muscle you want the 3800 to throw down with you can also slap on a turbo. The next biggest mod IMO is e85 fuel + the matching tune.

Stay with the Series II engines or get a L32 Series III SC engine. Don't get a L26 NA series III as they are the weakest of the bunch.

Thank you for the information I will look into these options further
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2015 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thoard:
I don't think it is the same one, but the car was one of his so it has been lowered, my uncle reluctantly parted with a red one he had, and boy am I glad he did, the Fiero is an amazing car

Cool. Yeah. I just remembered the black car I'm thinking of was an SE I think, and had a mustang spoiler.

You're going to enjoy the car for sure, especially after you swap the engine.
Thoard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThoardSend a Private Message to ThoardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Cool. Yeah. I just remembered the black car I'm thinking of was an SE I think, and had a mustang spoiler.

You're going to enjoy the car for sure, especially after you swap the engine.

Yeah he's had just a few of them, that's why I like it so much, I grew up around them, I think he might still have the one your talking about, I know he still has one in his garage
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If funds are a problem , and you can live with 200HP @ 275ft lbs of torque, the 4.9L V8/4T60e Cadillac swap can be done for about half the price of the 3800 swap. Sound examples of these powertrains are still plentiful for around $500. You car won't be the fastest Fiero around but will have way better performance than the anemic 2.8L V6 gives; a smooth running economical highway cruiser with impressive 1/8 mile acceleration.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could always cut weight out of it? Thats way cheaper over buying hp. IF your going to a swap though, sc3800 ftw. Now days it basically plug and play.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get the chance, try to find some swapped Fieros locally (such as the 3800sc, 4.9L etc...) that you can take for a drive. You can make a much more informed decision once you get a feel for the performance variations and see the value for the cost.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock