Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Buying source for the rubber mounts around the 1988 steering rack needed ?!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Buying source for the rubber mounts around the 1988 steering rack needed ?! by Torch-Red87
Started on: 12-07-2015 03:22 PM
Replies: 17 (636 views)
Last post by: tshark on 12-18-2015 07:38 PM
Torch-Red87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, plan to overhaul my 1988 steering rack over the winter time. But need the rubber mounts that surround the 1988 steering rack to the chassie \ crossmember.
Problem is I am stationed in Europe and the source should ship international.

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 12-07-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to buy from a Fiero owner here on the MALL and make shipping arrangements. Those mounts are hard to find here in the US.
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Your best bet is to buy from a Fiero owner here on the MALL and make shipping arrangements. Those mounts are hard to find here in the US.

Sounds like the search for the holy grail........ That's bad :-(
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the driver's side is common to all years and may still be available. The passenger side is not available. I ended up fabbing my own.

Bob
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I believe the driver's side is common to all years and may still be available. The passenger side is not available. I ended up fabbing my own.

Bob

How did you done them and what material did you used ?
Any pictures of it you can share ?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are these mounts actually called?
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rare Parts has them listed as part # 15908, rack and pinion mount bushing.

They show the same set fitting all years?????

http://rareparts.com/

http://www.showmetheparts.com/rareparts/
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a thread in here somewhere asking the same thing. I assumed (ass-u-me) that it would be a common part so when I removed the steel/rubber mount I had to bend/break it. Little did I know that the mount was unavailable and VERY hard to find. I stared looking at pics of other racks that used a similar system, which is not common any longer. Most bolt to the cross-member and use a bushing w/ bolt in the center. I found a couple of vehicles that did use our system and so started buying a few here and there. In the end I think I used part of a Toyota p/u truck mount and the bottom part of the stock rubber/steel one. I used the bottom because it spaced the rack out far enough and centered it, I used the poly from the P/U to form the rest. It seams to be working, but is not ideal.

Good luck on your search.

Rob
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Rare Parts has them listed as part # 15908, rack and pinion mount bushing.

They show the same set fitting all years?????

http://rareparts.com/

http://www.showmetheparts.com/rareparts/

Can anyone verify if these are correct for the '88?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

How did you done them and what material did you used ?
Any pictures of it you can share ?

I think I have pics on my work computer, but I did not post them as I'm a bit tenative on posting something so untried. I wouldn't want someone to get hurt following my lead.
I'll dig the pics up, but suffice to say it wasn't easy and involves some fabrication and welding.

Bob

Edit... I looked all over for the pics, but could not locate any.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 12-11-2015).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by tshark:

Can anyone verify if these are correct for the '88?

Interesting, the picture is the 88 set, but the dates are wrong because 84-87 used two similar to the 88 driver's side. Google-net search showed the part as unavailable.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok the crusade for the parts is over. Got the parts here in Germany and the part number is from Moog -> K6227 for the 1988 steering rack unit.
So the build is on the way and I also install my version of the zero lash/play stabilizer bar end link´s.

So thank´s all for your help !.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great find. TY...++

Bob
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok the crusade for the parts is over. Got the parts here in Germany and the part number is from Moog -> K6227 for the 1988 steering rack unit.
So the build is on the way and I also install my version of the zero lash/play stabilizer bar end link´s.

So thank´s all for your help !.

Sorry, but may I ask if those 2 bushings were in the same box in the picture??

Its good to know that its a Moog part number, but the box shown is TRW.

Please confirm...
Nice to see you search ended up successful.

Me too, was looking for a new pair 8 years ago.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the two rubber bushings and the clamp for the boot came in the box. BOUGHT two packs both the same ... sure its NOS but so far as I know TRW is today under MOOG. This also confirms the picture if you Google it what I did not knew from the start because there was no clear evidence. But now it's for sure .... mine was declared to fit also the Pontiac 1000 steering rack. Problem MOOG UK online catalog do not list the number K6227 anymore. All in all I think the part itself will be discontinued ( my feeling) because of no demands/orders.

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 12-17-2015).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes the two rubber bushings and the clamp for the boot came in the box. BOUGHT two packs both the same ... sure its NOS but so far as I know TRW is today under MOOG. This also confirms the picture if you Google it what I did not knew from the start because there was no clear evidence. But now it's for sure .... mine was declared to fit also the Pontiac 1000 steering rack. Problem MOOG UK online catalog do not list the number K6227 anymore. All in all I think the part itself will be discontinued ( my feeling) because of no demands/orders.

Ok, thanks...I appreciate the info and help.
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Ok, thanks...I appreciate the info and help.

Non Problemo .... we are one family
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and they're on backorder.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock