PIP issues- cannot locate server by Cajun
Started on: 11-21-2015 09:25 AM
Replies: 20 (402 views)
Last post by: wgpierce on 03-06-2017 01:17 AM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning I attempted to load a number of photos using PIP but could not because the program indicated it could not locate the server.

Has anyone else has had this issue using PIP?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

//www.fiero.nl/pip.html
download the configuration file and apply it.
Works fine here in florida
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/096161.html#p10

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

This morning I attempted to load a number of photos using PIP but could not because the program indicated it could not locate the server.

Has anyone else has had this issue using PIP?

Thanks

If it was working previously and you haven't made any changes on your end, it is almost always a DNS problem on your end (or your provider's end) , as The Ogre's link states.
Dunno why, dns just sometimes just goes flakey.
'cannot find server"
Happens to me sometimes, then I go back and try again a little later and it works perfectly.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DNS on the whole is not stable and regularly coughs up a lung for hours or longer.
Why? You need to know basics of DNS even to begin the topic but...
Many layers must work and just 1 part fails then you can't see just 1 server/service, part of internet or even whole internet by name. Only the IP # if you know.

If you think DNS problems then try google, opendns, etc.

Just using either does not require to sign up...
IPv4
OpenDNS are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
Goolge DNS are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
IPv6 then look at whatever... example: https://developers.google.c...ed/public-dns/?hl=en
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If DNS servers go down, whoever is running them is a toolbag. If my servers went down I'd get fired. Or I'd fire someone else. Someone would get fired for sure. If your ISP's DNS servers can't stay up, switch ISPs or use someone else's.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 11-21-2015).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no issues with PIP locating the server today...............

Thanks
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:
If DNS servers go down, whoever is running them is a toolbag. If my servers went down I'd get fired. Or I'd fire someone else. Someone would get fired for sure. If your ISP's DNS servers can't stay up, switch ISPs or use someone else's.

I agree, in general, but I have 18 total DNS servers at multiple locations, with different ISPs. I took 6 offline for 2 hours for replacement, and no one noticed, although my remaining DNS servers had to handle a lot of requests. It was an experiment in fail testing. If enough ISPs failed, or 17 DNS servers failed, or power was out for long enough and I didn't put fuel in the generators, mine could fail.

DNS is like a phone book of names and numbers, only it's domain names & IPs. DNS has a cache, on each workstation, and on each DNS server across the internet. Simplistically, when you make a request for a name, say fiero.nl, the name must be resolved to an IP. To do this, your computer first checks its local DNS cache. Failing resolution there, it checks its defined DNS server(s). Note that you should always have at least 2. I prefer to use DNS servers from different providers (open DNS & google, for example), rather than my ISP's DNS servers. The defined DNS servers check their records & cache. Failing resolution there, the DNS servers have several options: they can (if configured correctly) check with a list of ”root” servers, they can pass the buck to their own defined DNS servers, or they can return a fail. DNS has a timeout, which means that, if you have 2 servers, and the first one can't resolve within a few seconds, the second one can't resolve within a few seconds, you get nothing. Depending on DNS server configuration and cache, a given DNS server could take a few hops to many hops until it either gets a timeout or returns an IP. Ultimately, for a new request, DNS requests must return to the authoritative or defining DNS server. As the DNS request makes its way back, each DNS server along the way and your local workstation cache the IP. The cache size and expiration should allow a theoretical downtime of the authoritative DNS servers without impact to anyone whose cache is current. Your workstation then makes a new request with both the name and the IP, and the request must hop its way to the fiero.nl server, the domain must be recognized by the server, the server serve up a reply, and the content must find its way back to your workstation, which must then present the content to the end user (you).

The problem may not even be DNS at all. Sometimes there are routing issues, which is a different complex thing. Your internet could also be too slow, your DNS servers could be overloaded, your DNS servers could be out of the loop, your stack could be infected, winsock could be messed up, etc. Sometimes, the issue is the configuration on the authoritative DNS server. If you have Centurylink (Centurytel or whatever), their DNS servers frequently have cache issues. You could have malware that is making a lot of DNS requests and getting you banned, or your local network could be overloaded. Heck, it would be far more likely that the PIP server was overloaded that that DNS is down.

I believe no2pencil reported a while back on a similar thread how to test DNS.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't want to start a new thread on this topic, so I found an existing one that would suffice.

Is anyone who normally uses PIP having any kind of a problem the last couple of days trying to upload images?

Except for a few minor glitches, I've been using PIP basically trouble-free ever since Cliff introduced it. However, when I currently try to upload an image with PIP, it seems to go through the proper motions for a few seconds, and then it stops and displays the following message...

Connection was reset by host!

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get a:

Unknown Error (12030-
FTPuploadfile:Internetwrite

The rest is cut off on the right and I cannot expand the error box to read the entire error message.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I get a:

Unknown Error (12030-
FTPuploadfile:Internetwrite

Is this something that just started happening?
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is this something that just started happening?

Yes. I have been using PIP for years with no issues.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same error here, nothing changed on my end. Used it a couple weeks ago, but now won't work. From what I can see it sends 8192 bytes then stops with the error. no matter how small the pic is.

[This message has been edited by wgpierce (edited 03-04-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Yes. I have been using PIP for years with no issues.

Okay, sounds like we're indeed having the same problem then.

Originally posted by wgpierce:

From what I can see it sends 8192 bytes then stops with the error. no matter how small the pic is.

Yes, after a much longer than usual delay, I can see the upload progress bar start to move... and then I get the message that I reported in my first post. Happens every time.

Looks like it's an actual issue with the PIP server then, and not something wrong at our end. Thanks for the feedback guys.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having issues here since yesterday. "Connection was reset by host"
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

Same error here, nothing changed on my end. Used it a couple weeks ago, but now won't work. From what I can see it sends 8192 bytes then stops with the error. no matter how small the pic is.

Same here. After the 8192 byte upload level is reached, an error message appears.
"Unknown Error! 1230- (something)
FTPUploadFile: internet write..."

If I continue to try, then I eventually get a 'connection was reset by host, or 'connection timed out' error.
Here's what the initial errors look like:

I've linked this problem in a PM to Cliff. I suspect he will look in to it when he gets time.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-05-2017).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be because I'm switching servers. Let me try to fix it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still a no go...

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be working again:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Should be working again...

And it is! Thanks Cliff.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff, works now!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock