Unobtanium? by tshark
Started on: 11-19-2015 02:52 PM
Replies: 72 (1584 views)
Last post by: tshark on 12-25-2015 07:19 AM
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

There are some NOS pieces on Ebay right now.

What is impossible are the original white outlined Goodyear tires.

Understandable though, the tires certainly wouldn't last forever and who knows how many would even remain, most were probably replaced no? I'm unaware of these tires personally.

Same with the snowflake rims, I've never heard of these before?

How uncommon are the gold rims from '88? Were they '87 as well? I know the black offset rims from '88 seem more desirable compared to earlier rim years but aren't the gold ones more uncommon? Just curious, I don't know much on this info so it's very interesting to read about these NOS pieces. Awesome thread.

Last question though, I need new emblems for my Formula, I found a NOS piece on eBay of the front emblem but it's the earlier gold style from 84-86(87?). Would it fit my Formula or were the dimensions different when they changed the colour? I'd prefer one of these NOS pieces to the Fiero Stores plastic replicas. Sorry for the derail!
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Oh, how about those white snowflake wheels that those 300 or so special Fieros had?

Tell us more. Are these basically GT style wheels that are white?

I bought a very rough '86 GT that came with what appear to be factory painted white GT wheels... so I'm curious what you're referring to.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

Understandable though, the tires certainly wouldn't last forever and who knows how many would even remain, most were probably replaced no? I'm unaware of these tires personally.

Same with the snowflake rims, I've never heard of these before?

How uncommon are the gold rims from '88? Were they '87 as well? I know the black offset rims from '88 seem more desirable compared to earlier rim years but aren't the gold ones more uncommon? Just curious, I don't know much on this info so it's very interesting to read about these NOS pieces. Awesome thread.

Last question though, I need new emblems for my Formula, I found a NOS piece on eBay of the front emblem but it's the earlier gold style from 84-86(87?). Would it fit my Formula or were the dimensions different when they changed the colour? I'd prefer one of these NOS pieces to the Fiero Stores plastic replicas. Sorry for the derail!

I never heard of "Snowflake" wheels on Fieros either. They were on other Pontiacs like Grand Prix, Firebird and Astre in the late 70's and early 80's but nothing on Fiero that I'm aware of.

'88 was the only year for black and gold wheels. The gold ones are rather rare but not particularly that rare. You will see them pop up from time to time. A few years ago I was ready to pop on a low mileage set on Ebay. I really wanted a set for my black '88 until I saw a black '88 with gold wheels and I didn't think it looked all that good. The gold wheels look best on the metallic red 88's.

The earlier front emblem will fit your car but it won't be correct. It would probably be best if you just waited until the correct one turns up, and I'm sure it will.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, I always liked the look of the gold/black combo personally, but I do enjoy the look of the black rims as well, I just wish mine we cleaner, they've taken somewhat of a beating prior to my ownership, certainly not show quality but they aren't awful either. Typical road use per se.

As for the snowflake rims, I found this old thread referring to them, it seems they were spotted on the prototype, perhaps some were sold with early '84s?
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132012.html
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There used to be a vendor in Focus who refinished rims. That may be an option. It'd be interesting to see before and after pics of a set.

The NIFE magazine? Yep, that place is still there as far as I know. They did some for me (black 88s) and did a great job.

My '88GT is medium red metallic and I agree the gold rims would look great on it, but I stayed with black since that's how it came when it new. I wonder if the gold rims came only with the beechwood interior and black with the gray interior?

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I don't have the original front emblem, the one I took off when I had it painted was already a Fiero Store replacement. I then went and looked at an '84 for sale in town and the emblem looked smaller than mine, but I thought my eyes may have been deceiving me, the emblem for sale on eBay is the early emblem.

Very cool about those rims! '86 would be the year Patrick, still have those rims? That would be quite a relic if they are indeed originals.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dylpro

249 posts
Member since Apr 2015
Turns out I too have some rare snowflake tires! Anyone care to make an offer?

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

man I cant believe all the talk bout rims and tires..

I had rims I couldn't give away...
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2015 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Perhaps ”snowflake wheels” isn't the correct term, and it says 50. I don't know why I had 300 in my head. See the link here.

Those are indeed simply painted white by the dealer. They are standard 86-87 GT wheels. Nothing special other than being painted white by the dealer.

There were some pre-production cars that had the "snowflake" style wheels that were similar to the Firebird snowflake wheels, but they were never offered as an option on Fieros in production, as I understand.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Those are indeed simply painted white by the dealer. They are standard 86-87 GT wheels. Nothing special other than being painted white by the dealer.

I had a long post ready to upload before I was called away for a couple of hours. Your post has put a damper on the "excitement", but I'll pretend I haven't seen your post... and upload what I had ready to post anyway.

Originally posted by tshark: josef644

Perhaps ”snowflake wheels” isn't the correct term, and it says 50. I don't know why I had 300 in my head. See the link here.

This is all rather intriguing. Here's an image of the wheels in question from that thread.

Originally posted by josef644:

White like these? I have four of these. If these were color changed by someone, they were super careful about over spray and masking.

Well looks like I have a set of their wheels then. Four of only twelve know to have survived?

And here's some history and an image of one those special GT's from the same thread.

Originally posted by paced84:

"1986" QUALITY PONTIAC SPECIAL FIERO GT's
In 1986 50 Quality Pontiac Fiero GT's were produced. Quality Pontiac didn't produce vechiles. They were actually built at the Fiero plant in Pontiac MI. This special Fiero packagee included Monochromatic White paint, a Fiero jacket, customdash plaque Fiero fender covers,Pegasus hood emblem, and a life time F.O.C.O.A membership. The limited edition package added $440.00 to the original price of the 1986 GT. These Fieros had special numbers from X000-X49. Kevin Yzquierdo was general sales manger at Quality Pontiac and the person who came up with the idea for the Quality Pontiac Fiero with the input from Fiero Phil of Fiero Owners Club of America and Don Daniels, the Fiero plant manger.

When visitors came to Pontiac for the event, they stayed at the "Quality Inn" in Pontiac and were allowed to drive thier Fiero's through the plant. I have been trying to get information as to what happened to those 50 Special Fieros. On a Sat. afternoon in Dec. "2007" I stopped at Quality Pontiac. After talking with several emloyees, I explained that I was trying to locate Kevin. I spoke to Larry Larson who was working at the dealership back in "1986". He stated that Kevin was now at a different dealership. and mentioned that Kevin does make contact occasionaly. I asked him to see if he would be willing to share some information about those 50 Special Fieros. Several weeks later, Larry said he had spoken with Kevin and that he would
be happy to share some photos and information on the Quality Pontiac Fieros.

Now the information I have been searching for was coming to light. According to Kevin only three Special Fieros were sold. The other 47 were shipped to California. Somewhere betrween Quality Pontiac and California, they were flood damaged and these Special Fieros were returned to Pontiac were they were all destroyed. There were rumers that they were painted bcak to thier original paint scheme and sold. According to Kevin that was not the case. He also stated, I think it would be better to refer to them as 'Pegasus Fiero' rather than Quality Pontiac Fiero.

Very cool about those rims! '86 would be the year Patrick, still have those rims? That would be quite a relic if they are indeed originals.

The '86 GT that I have here is indeed white, and the four wheels which came on it look the same as the ones seen above. They're in very good condition and are complete with center caps.

* Hang on... I just remembered I posted a picture years ago of this GT the day I got it... and I've found it! This was just over six years ago. That's my buddy's son standing by the car.

The car was (and still is) in very rough shape. It was non-running and the interior had been gutted. I knew the wheels were unusual, so I took them off and stored them in the basement, where they still are. I got the engine running, and three years ago posted a video HERE where I had some fun with the editing.

It would be great to discover that this '86 GT and/or its wheels are somehow rare. It would also be interesting to learn the history of this particular '86 GT (if it's indeed rare) and discover how it ended up here in Vancouver.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What happened to the rear clip, bumper cover, and quarter panels? It looks like that was all replaced...

What happened? Who knows! The car was supposedly in the process of being restored by the fella I got it from. However, he was in way over his head, and was about to scrap the car. I just wanted to save it from the crusher.

The rims seem to be in rough shape, as you said.

No no... I said the rims were in very good condition. (They were just filthy in the picture.) It's the rest of the car that's in rough shape.

Did your car have the pegasus on the hood?

No. If you look very closely at the picture, you can just barely make out that it has a replacement hood which is more of a tan color.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder if the lug nut covers were also white.

Not according to the original photo of the car when it was new.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder if the lug nut covers were also white.

I forget whether or not the lug nut covers were on this car when I got it. I have different old wheels/tires/lug nuts on the car now, but I do have a bunch of grey lug nut covers in a box... as well as black ones. However, with a second '86 GT here (with the usual silver GT wheels) and an '88 Formula, I forget which lug nut covers originally went with what!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I forget whether or not the lug nut covers were on this car when I got it. I have different old wheels/tires/lug nuts on the car now, but I do have a bunch of grey lug nut covers in a box... as well as black ones. However, with a second '86 GT here (with the usual silver GT wheels) and an '88 Formula, I forget which lug nut covers originally went with what!

There are lug nut covers made from a plastic that isn't black? I've only ever had black ones, on all my Fieros that had them.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are lug nut covers made from a plastic that isn't black? I've only ever had black ones, on all my Fieros that had them.

GM made silver and gray as well. The other colors were used on different makes and models. Grand Prix and Bonneville used silver. I believe Vette used gray.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM made silver and gray as well. The other colors were used on different makes and models. Grand Prix and Bonneville used silver. I believe Vette used gray.

But not on a Fiero. If someone had non-black ones on a Fiero, they are not stock, right?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But not on a Fiero. If someone had non-black ones on a Fiero, they are not stock, right?

As far as I know, you are correct.

However, I have seen black ones get sun bleached and sorta appear gray.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's interesting. I have no idea whether the grey covers I have were on one of my Fieros or I grabbed them while at a wrecking yard or what. I've been acquiring Fieros and associated parts for 20 years now, so I've completely lost track of where I originally came across most of these parts. Someday I'm going to have to get rid of an awful lot of stuff!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-21-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO!!!

It happens.
prosource

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prosourceClick Here to visit prosource's HomePageSend a Private Message to prosourceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I got a new windscreen from safelite a couple of months ago, no problem, around $250 I think.
FYI we sell the windshields for 4100 same brand probably Safelite has but that is not installed. At least the windshields have remained very affordable.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The front emblems varied a bit from year to year. One of the changes was to the pins in the back. The emblem TFS sells didn't match up to my '88. They suggested that I drill a hole in my bumper cover for their alignment pin.

The sizes also vary a bit from year to year.

What I have found is not year to year but GT to non GT, so you can't put a GT emblem on a non GT was my guess, and the 84s are gold and smaller.

Gold rims I don't think are that rare, I have seen 3, we still have 2 sets. If they are yeah for us. :P They only look good on certain color Fieros.
If the white rims are super rare I will sell you a set with fresh white powder coating (to touch up of coarse)

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have purchased several years ago some rubber w/stripping just so I would have if needed. I have an 86 GT and all the w/stripping is original. I think it is because I keep puting "303 protectant" on it. I swear by it. I even have some interior pieces that have a good coating of the 303 on them and they are not brittle like a lot of similar ones I have seen. This is the best stuff since sliced bread. So use it and be rewardwd with the long life it gives rubber and plastic and even leather.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is no way to fix that. It is sort of a form of sunburn/bleaching.

Not so fast, how about a reverse decal, one made to cover everything else but the Pontiac lettering and leaving that on for a decade or so should clean that right up.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Not so fast, how about a reverse decal, one made to cover everything else but the Pontiac lettering and leaving that on for a decade or so should clean that right up.

Steve

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2015 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock