Another CARPC setup by Infinity
Started on: 11-16-2015 08:45 PM
Replies: 2 (240 views)
Last post by: Infinity on 11-17-2015 08:37 AM
Infinity

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfinitySend a Private Message to InfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi all,

Been trying for months to make a carpc that fits my Fiero. Ok i know there tablets and phones what do the trick too but im IT engineer and i want to control the device my own and in such way that it also fit my needs i've been playin arround with Raspberry PI and Odroid and both did not work the way i liked, Either the software was unstable, or drivers didnt work on my touchscreen.
I ended up with Windows 7 and two pieces of licensed software and some hardware.

I bought a simple Mini-Atx motherboard with 2Gb ram for around 35 Euro
Already had the 7" Lilliput 669GL
KMTronic 8 port USB relay
12V- 220W Powersupply
Bluetooth 4.0
GPS/Satelite and DVB-T is on my optionlist

Software is with license but for both 30 day trial:
Centrafuse the main software for CARPC
BlueSoleil for Bluetooth 4.0 support

Features include

MEDIA PLAYER
SAT HD RADIO
AM/FM RADIO
BUILT-IN APP MARKET
FULL MIXER CONTROL
BUILT-IN UPDATER
BLUETOOTH HANDSFREE ****
GPS NAVIGATION *
WEB BROWSER
WEATHER
EMAIL CLIENT
VOICE CONTROL
TEXT-TO-SPEECH
DVD PLAYER
OBD-II DIAGNOSTICS
MP3 PLAYER SUPPORT
SYNC PHONE CONTACTS **
A2DP SUPPORT **
UNLIMITED SCREENS ***
REAR CAMERA
* With available 3rd Party products eg. Sygic FLEET
** A2DP and PBAP support required Bluetooth audio and Phonebook
*** Limited only by OS
**** Requires separate Bluetooth license from BlueSoleil

Supported Operating Systems Windows 8 Windows 7

Most interesting for me is the KMTronic 8 port USB relay. This tool connects by USB to the carpc and can control from the screen any device in your car. I decided not to use critical system when driving. But simple things like lower the windows and control HVAC for example, not sure if i get the heater control working.. but will see.

In my current setup i have working:
Internet works
Phone, phonebook integration (apple) havent tested yet other phones. works
Bluetooth works
Front and Back Cam
Voice Control Commands works, like call your best friend and it dials the number but also opens applications

To Do:
Make cover for the system
Make power for the system + Fusebox

GPS/Navigation
Satelite/DBV-T, DAB Radio
KMTronic relaybox work in progress

The size of the motherboard is not that big but i have found a case yet to fit in. So i decided to make a cover from Plexiglas and install it later on the backside of the passengers seat
Nowadays there complete systems with windows 8.1 that fits in your trousers, like the Ainol, just as big as a Samsung S6. If i knew before i had bought it.

I will try update regular this thread, its winter now in my country and our garage is not ready yet so can only work on the project when its not that cold.

Links:
As said i have tried to work with Raspberry PI and the ODROID-U3 there is a community who works on that, im no Linux professional so i leave it where it is. If you like to try yourself here the links.
Raspberry - http://engineering-diy.blog...-september-2014.html
ODROID carpc- http://magazine.odroid.com/...-Magazine-201404.pdf (PDF) and official www.hardkernel.com

Other links for this setup
KMTronic - http://www.kmtronic.com
Centrafuse - http://www.centrafuse.com
BlueSoleil - http://www.bluesoleil.com/p...001201005190001.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what you expect for the end result, but good luck. I bought a $1000 head unit for my truck over here, with the cost of the adapter harnesses and modules, and the only thing that works 100% as expected is the back-up camera. It worked exactly as well before I spent $1000+ on a head unit from Kenwood and the highest quality adapter harnesses available. It doesn't do MP3 correctly, steering wheel controls don't work, and I don't have door chimes yet.

I'm not sure what I will do for my Fiero yet, as I build it, but I know I won't be buying another Kenwood unit. I definitely wouldn't run Windows on any CarPC build I did either.
Infinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfinitySend a Private Message to InfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad your headunit doesnt work as expected, it are very expensive boxes. I have had in my company car Pioneer and Kenwoon too but its not able to change the root software If i had the good knowledge of Linux and/or Android i would go that way to build a carpc cheap. I current have a lab-setup that works for most items, just have to insert in the Fiero. The licenses of the software is more then the hardware i use. If, all doesnt work as it supposed to be i can still use it for my home automation system.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock