Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Barn Find and a piece of Fiero History (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Barn Find and a piece of Fiero History by Thunderstruck GT
Started on: 11-07-2015 05:03 PM
Replies: 129 (4770 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-22-2016 08:43 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

found these on ebay (note image will go red x when ebay listing goes stale)

I had to re-size them to a maximum width of 1024 pixels for PIP, but these images will still be here when the sun goes supernova.

IP: Logged
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I had to re-size them to a maximum width of 1024 pixels for PIP, but these images will still be here when the sun goes supernova.

The third pic, that is what Fieros should be, I want that kit.

Edit to add: that first pic is misleading, it is painted as an 88, but the car is an 87. You can see the e-brake cable in the back, and the front rims have the offset. Why do I notice these things.?.?

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-25-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread has been closed by OP

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VikingRedBaron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:
A tip that I can give in seeing if there is any residue left on the glass from stickers or decals that have been removed. On a cool morning, fog up the windows on the inside. You might surprise yourself with what you find. My real pace car opened up like a book with all the window markings that proved it one of the three pace cars.
Fred

Have you tried Fred's tip yet?

If not I would before I had the windows professionally cleaned

Just a thought....................

[This message has been edited by VikingRedBaron (edited 11-27-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I fail to see how a small piece of re-purposed styrofoam will help remove that wheel lock. Won't it just crumble?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you considered welding hex nuts to the wheel lock nuts to get them off?
Or maybe you're determined to save them... At least McGard is nearby.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Have you considered welding hex nuts to the wheel lock nuts to get them off?
Or maybe you're determined to save them... At least McGard is nearby.

Being that they are assembly line locks and they have never been off I want to save them.

Other than cleaning it, I want to try and get the car mobile yet keep it as close to as found as I can.

The rotors are rusty, the brakes are seized and 2 tires go flat. Unfortunately, the only way to fix all that means the wheels need to come off.

The person I talked to at McGard all but guaranteed me that they will still have a tool/key readily available. I have an auction in the morning and after that I'm headed over to McGard.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

It's an interesting piece. You set the key portion into the lock's pattern, then screw the outer collar over the outside of the lock. This firmly seats the key into the lock for easy removal.

And only $14.99

That's kind of an interesting gizmo. I like the idea that it can "lock" itself to the nut during removal.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I can shed some light on this car and having a vin #.

Usually the cars given to auto shops schools are dealer donated, not manufacturer donated, unless they live in Flint or something like that where there is an actual factory there. So they would be just something off the dealers lot and of course have a vin. #

The cars given to movies on the other hand generally don't have Vin.# or even blank plates because they are just for use in a movie or TV show. I think a while ago we had a thread in OT about someone selling one of the CSI Tahoe's or whatever they were. it had no Vin.# ether and the complications of that can get screwy when it comes to getting a title in some states that require titles.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang. Be careful when cleaning it.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bead blast it.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha!!

That's a neat piece of Fiero history you turned up there. Thanks for sharing the photos.
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Pilot Build" Vehicles are Vehicles made during Manufacturing Validation Process, these vehicles are assembled with Production Intend parts, however they are not Production Approved at the time, only design intent so that assembly and/or Manufacturing Assembly Changes to part design can be requested. Many times these vehicles are assembled with parts that were rejected by quality control, as they are unsaleable vehicles. That would explain the wheel / tire sprayed in red paint as some defect existed on that one that couldn't be used on a Production Release Vehicle.

In other words, if you have to build Manufacturing Validation Vehicles that will be scrapped, you try to save as much money as possible by using below spec parts that can't be used on Production Cars.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 01-10-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This just gets cooler and cooler
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apply for a custom title....like you made it yourself. It's vin doesn't exist yet in the books, so why not "build" your replica, then title it? I've never done this, or researched it so I don't know if it's even possible......just thinking out loud.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to be an Instructional Assistant at the local vo-tech. 80% of our vehicles were manufacturer donations, though I never got to see the "behind the scenes" as far as paperwork, etc. We had an 04 Impala that was donated directly from GM. It's roof was crushed by the car carrier it was on, but ironically the sunroof was intact and still operated. Others were flood vehicles and lemon law buybacks. We also had an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had "mud" made out of bedliner sprayed all over it. It was used in a commercial. I have pics but won't post them here, I've already hi-jacked enough. I know that all of the Mopar products had a contract signed, that the VIN tags were to be removed and returned along with proof of the vehicle being crushed when we decided we were done with them.

I can't wait to see what all you find as you keep digging into this car. It's a dream come true for a lot of people, myself included!
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As long as I am alive this car will never get a title.

Titling a vehicle of this nature would ruin its history.

WHOA! EASY YOSEMITE SAM! Holster yer piece and come back to the table! So far, this is just a discussion.......it's not like he's talking about putting a ricer wing on it or anything.
Yours truly,
Elmer Fudd
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool find. Kind of like a cracker jack box with a prize inside. Thanks for posting this. It's almost like we got to dig through the car with you. Very informative.
Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL!

No need to holster anything there Mr. Fudd just stating the fact.

If and when I pass this car along to another owner it will only go to another collector who I know will know to do the same.

I am also being very careful about what gets restored. I am hitting as many sources as possible to get as much of the history of the car as possible. If indeed GM was the one that damaged the vehicle, whatever damage they caused will stay as is or if repaired, the damaged items will be saved and recorded..

Well if this is how you feel then if or when you want to sell it you should defiantly call RAREW66 (Fred) first I am pretty sure he lives in a Fiero museum or he has one in his back yard with lots of collectible Fieros and memorabilia. He is the man to preserve this Fiero.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

Well if this is how you feel then if or when you want to sell it you should defiantly call RAREW66 (Fred) first I am pretty sure he lives in a Fiero museum or he has one in his back yard with lots of collectible Fieros and memorabilia. He is the man to preserve this Fiero.

If you want to know what Fred has you have to come to the Heartland show. He brings out all the fun stuff for everyone to see and has a great time at a BBQ at his house/museum after.

Scott

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 01-15-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlgt88:

If you want to know what Fred had you have to come to the Heartland show. He brings out all the fun stuff for everyone to see and has a great time at a BBQ at his house/museum after.

Scott

Yep
GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yep

Ditto that.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also sure if you bring this car there will be lots of comparing between this and Freds pilot car and other prototypes.

Just be careful Fred might just convince you that it should be part of his collection too

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 01-15-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Hard to believe that is the same rotor. Very nice.

There is a lot of rust there, with the sway bar, control arm, end links, brake hose brackets, etc. Is that next up?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are the brake lines under the car? Mine are the most rusty thing on the whole car.

Sorry. Didn't mean to put down your find. Oh, no! What happened to the aluminum? I replaced all the rusted portions of the trunk on a former Fiero with aluminum, then coated it and fiberglassed it. I figured it should hold for another 30 years.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-11-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock