Trunk light killer by Jerry Tarnofsky
Started on: 10-31-2015 01:37 PM
Replies: 40 (1333 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-14-2018 03:09 PM
Jerry Tarnofsky

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At some car shows this summer, Fiero owners had a gadget on there truck lid latch that
kept the trunk & interior lights off when the truck lid was open. Had a red ribbon hanging down from
it so it could removed and not left on when the lid was closed.
Anyone know where to get or make one?

------------------

Jerry
'88 Fiero GT
Red and proud of it

[This message has been edited by Jerry Tarnofsky (edited 10-31-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that was easy.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero1Fan used to sell trunk light timers - light shuts off after 5 minutes.
I have one on my Indy and it works great. Not sure if they're still available.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 2" 3/16" bolt works fine to hold the light switch in the off position. The LED replacement lamp available on eBay is a terrific addition for more light and you can keep the trunk open for hours with little battery drain.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the bulb out of mine about three days after I bought the car.
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But there are overhead lights on the inside that also turn on, at least on mine they do, and that
adds to the drain.
Jerry
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jerry Tarnofsky:

But there are overhead lights on the inside that also turn on, at least on mine they do, and that adds to the drain.

When your decklid (trunk) is opened?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-01-2015).]

Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep! Same two overhead lamps that turn on with opening the doors. Just checked it to be sure.
Jerry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep! Same two overhead lamps that turn on with opening the doors. Just checked it to be sure.
Jerry

That doesnt sound stock.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by fierosound:

That would be cool.
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a golf tee
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That makes no sense. I've daily driven an '84, '86, '87 and '88 Fiero over the years... and none of them do/did that.

To your knowledge, has your wiring ever been tampered with?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-02-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That makes no sense. I've daily driven an '84, '86, '87 and '88 Fiero over the years... and none of them do/did that.

To your knowledge, has your wiring ever been tampered with?

Agreed. Something must be messed up.
Trunk and overhead lamps get power from the same fuse, but have separate switches providing the ground to turn light on.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-03-2015).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have this, it works great and it's idiot proof.
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I know. Bought the car from a guy who put 2000 miles on it in 22 years.
I've put about that much on it in 6 months. Just went over 30K.
My wife got something out of the trunk when I was in the hospital for a few days and did not 'slam it' shut.
This killed the battery and it was weak, wouldn't hold a charge, so had to replace it.
Then noticed the interior lights were on when trunk was open. Just found out the floor lamps are also lighted when trunk lid is open.
That's 5 bulbs that are draining the battery when trunk is open.
Now, there is one added switch under the dash which I believe is a kill switch. I had it switched once and that sucked the battery dry
when trying to start the car back when it was new to me. That time jumping the battery was all it needed. Haven't touched it since.
There are also driving lights up front under the nose and these work off a lighted toggle switch under the dash.
They work like modern driving lights, on with low beams and off when the high beams are on, if control switch is on.
Looks like they are wired into the drivers side headlight.
I suspect this is an early '88.
Whew! All these questions just to get a trunk light killer with flag.
Jerry

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now, there is one added switch under the dash which I believe is a kill switch. I had it switched once and that sucked the battery dry...

There are also driving lights up front under the nose and these work off a lighted toggle switch under the dash.

Thanks Jerry, I believe you've answered my question.

...has your wiring ever been tampered with?

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulling the bulb out is free.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Pulling the bulb out is free.

Jerry has four more to deal with.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jerry has four more to deal with.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jerry Tarnofsky:

[/QUOTE]

Then... he has bigger problems.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like the different grounds have been connected together somehow.

Did the previous owner install an alarm?
They may have been cross-connected when tapping into the grounds to sound the alarm anytime the door, hood, decklid is opened.
The unintended consequence of course is having all the lights come on when any one of them is opened.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-03-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner got the car this way. He said he thought it had a 'dead man's switch' but did
not have any details on it. There is no alarm on it that I know of.
There is a small box of some sort just in front of the wipers under the front lid. The wiring does not look
original, but very neatly tied together with tie wraps. Some of the wires go to a horn on the front fire wall
just behind the radiator fan. It has a picture of Dick Tracy and says "Crime Stopper " on it. I think that's
the horn that sounds when the horn button is pressed.
Jerry
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It has a picture of Dick Tracy and says "Crime Stopper " on it.

Jerry, we've got to see a picture of that!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like that probably is an alarm system.
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
switches under dash right controls the driving light, left is kill switch (I think)

front of firewall

close up of box on firewall

Horn behind radiator fan

Wiring
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jerry Tarnofsky

74 posts
Member since Apr 2015
My Fiero just after buying it.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would eliminate that, they're always a problem not to mention, an eyesore.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Horns for the car are under the fascia behind the turn signal lights.

As I suspected, you have a car alarm system and it's wiring is likely the problem.
You'll have to backtrack the wiring to see where the grounds have been all tied together.

That's a "retired" product so you'll have to contact the vendor for an install manual and on/off remote.
http://www.crimestopper.com/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-04-2015).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The local (Golden Gate Fieros) just had a tech session, and one of the members showed me how to wedge a golf tee into the latch on the lid of the engine compartment.

This keeps the light turned off (the small light that illuminates the carry compartment behind the engine) that would otherwise be turned on when the engine compartment lid is open.

Just a golf tee. Whatever doohickey the golfer uses to prop up his golf ball before he smacks it with the driver. I'm not a golfer, and I don't know if they come in different shapes or sizes. It was machined from wood. He gave me a handful of 'em, all looking the same, and said that if one doesn't exactly fit inside the latch jaws without falling out, try the next one. Like those vending machines that take dollar bills, and maybe the first one you try doesn't work, but the next one does.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jerry, thanks for the pictures... especially the Dick Tracy CRIMESTOPPER one!
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a million years ago I bought one of these (Centech IL-2 fader):

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Still not installed the thing LOL!

Probably not too hard to knock up a circuit to do something similar.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with a Crimestopper tech and he said it is an older product that's no longer made, but if I
can find the control box somewhere in the car he may have some info on it from the model #.

Tried a quick look but no luck finding it. Will try again. Maybe it was removed??? Will keep looking.

Just found it. Model # CS 8706. Unfortunately, CrimeStoppers was bought by another company recently
and the product is so old (would you believer Fiero's are SO OLD) they no longer have any info on it.
Also, the cable from the front of the car has been disconnected. So, that's that. Not going to mess with it any more.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry Tarnofsky (edited 11-05-2015).]

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or just turn the trunk light out with this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...AOxy38tTl2Re&vxp=mtr
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As stated before, the switch is turning on 5 lights due to a previously installed security system.
I did modify some golf tee's so they will fit in the truck lid latch and held buy friction. This works
just fine.

------------------

Jerry
'88 Fiero GT
Red and proud of it

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone know where I can find some info on this? How it was wired up etc. I should be able to find something similar or build something.

The most I found was this:

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:
It is a relay controlled, straight plug and play module that plugs in between the trunk light and the connector. It will automatically turn off the trunk light after 10 minutes. No wire cutting and easy to install.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I took the bulb out of mine about three days after I bought the car.

I did the same thing- One of the few options on my 85 SE V6.....And the stupid thing just shines in your eyes and blinds you! The front compartment light is worse- Only on when the headlights are on! There was a lot of intelligent engineering on the Fieros....But the guy who did the trunk light designing was a drunk-Chimp!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bnevets27:

Anyone know where I can find some info on this? How it was wired up etc. I should be able to find something similar or build something.

Fiero1fan is in Germany. I'm not sure if he's still with us.
He's been out of touch for a couple of years now.
https://www.motortopia.com/Fiero1Fan

You could easily use this 12volt 5amp mini timer I think:
https://www.amazon.com/Time...ycling/dp/B00PD65UGA

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-14-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
The other option is a switched trunk light from a 1982-93 S10 Blazer
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068307.html

Okay I went out and pulled the light for the number on the back.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-12-2018).]

Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put a simple switch in line with the ground on the trunk latch switch. No mess with flags, bolts or golf tees. If you forget to turn it on and close the trunk... no problem, leave a bolt in there and well you get the idea. I mounted the switch next to the latch on the trunk lid. really a simple task and as a bonus I can turn the light off when I work on the motor. It basicly is the same as the switched light with out a junk yard search and I am going to guess cheaper, should be around 3 to 5 bucks depending on how fancy of a switch you want. How ever being a very sad sad Fiero owner who is 3,000 miles from my cars (I hope they miss me) I can not give you pictures of the install... sorry
bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions but I definitely wanted a relay/automated approach. I actually changed how the trunk is lighted so I don't have a bulb installed in the oem location, it's just blinding there. Was going to put a switch but relay is nicer.

I just had to think about how to wire it up but I've figured it out now. Pretty simple actually.

Other option that I thought of was a photoresistor relay. It would only turn the trunk light on if it is dark out.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock