TFS "GT" decals by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 10-30-2015 08:33 PM
Replies: 8 (345 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 10-31-2015 04:00 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update-- I was totally wrong about these, they went on great and look great.

My only minor gripe is they're a little fatter than OE, but overall I'm very happy. Apologies to TFS for my previous dismissal of their product.

[This message has been edited by Napoleon_Tanerite (edited 01-02-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't help with your dilemma, but perhaps I can distract you from your frustration with TFS.

deck-els or dee-cals
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would bite the bullet, rip them off, and buy good quality ones that are JUST the outline from Paul at Fierosails. Scroll down to see them:
http://fierosails.com/decal.html

Edit to add......are you sure that clear is an overlay and not the removable transfer tape?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-30-2015).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Edit to add......are you sure that clear is an overlay and not the removable transfer tape?

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I don't want to peel them off too much so I don't ruin them. If they're transfer I'll retract 50% of my criticism. I still don't think they'll hold up for **** in the sun!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use a professional urethane clearcoat, most of them provide UV protection and will not damage the lettering. If you use lacquer clear or spray can clear, the chemicals may damage the letters and cause them to lift. If you are dead-set on satin clear, I would recommend a shop do them with a high quality clearcoat unless you are experienced with spraying automotive grade paint.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-30-2015).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Careful with the clear. I bought some decals from Paul McKibben a few years back and he recommended I use spray can clear over them as high quality automotive clears would attack the vinyl. I did as he suggested and they are holding up fine.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spayed clear over my PONTIAC emblem on the rear. Didn't work. It still faded.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Careful with the clear. I bought some decals from Paul McKibben a few years back and he recommended I use spray can clear over them as high quality automotive clears would attack the vinyl. I did as he suggested and they are holding up fine.

Sorry to say he is completely wrong. Spray cans have multiple chemicals such as acetone and other ketones that love to soften and destroy decals. You might get lucky by misting the spraycan clear on in multiple coats but professional urethane clearcoat is safe over all types of paint....even waterbased paint.

Now lacquer automotive clear could destroy the decal because of it's chemical compund but not urethane clear.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a Fiero Store decal I put on over Duplicolor trim paint:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock