Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What paint best matches the side molding trim?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What paint best matches the side molding trim? by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 10-24-2015 08:10 PM
Replies: 18 (485 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-05-2015 11:24 AM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Title pretty much says it all. I am repainting my 87 GT. The side molding is in good shape, and I know it can be tough to paint anyway, but I need to match the strip across the rear bumper. What's my best bet to match it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

http://3mcollision.com/mar-...m-coating-03811.html

I love the fact that Marhyde still uses the image of that red notchback on their cans.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I love the fact that Marhyde still uses the image of that red notchback on their cans.

Probably the only car that ever used that exact paint.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume this stuff will do fairly well on epoxy primed fiberglass and metal? I've got a set of sail windows from FieroFiberglass that need paint, as well as my engine vents.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used SEM Trim Black PN 39143 (self-priming)
I've painted all my GT's trim pieces and windshield cowling with it - works great.
This paint has held up well for years. I don't bother trying anything else.

Summit reviews http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39143

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-07-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually just use Krylon BBQ black. Just the right sheen to me for lots of car stuff.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to say.... I would look at your existing trim and search out something that will match. Over the years, my various Fieros had satin trim, glossy trim, etc.... I bought a replacement piece of trim and it was satin, but the car (low mileage) had glossy trim. So, I know it isn't what you want to hear, look for a good quality paint, in the sheen that matches the best. You may end up buying 4-5 cans, until you find the correct match.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I used that Marhyde paint and it didn't work. I sprayed the top of the rear bumper and the paint scratches off with a fingernail. This is unacceptable, and I need to find a way to fix it with suitable paint. This was sprayed on clean epoxy primer sanded at 320 grit.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

So I used that Marhyde paint and it didn't work. I sprayed the top of the rear bumper and the paint scratches off with a fingernail. This is unacceptable, and I need to find a way to fix it with suitable paint. This was sprayed on clean epoxy primer sanded at 320 grit.

How long did you give it to cure?

Did you wet sand with 320 or dry and with what kind/brand of paper?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

How long did you give it to cure?

Did you wet sand with 320 or dry and with what kind/brand of paper?

Wet sanded with 320, 3M paper. It cured for probably 4 or 5 days before I noticed the issue
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
320 wet doesn't leave enough bite and a few days isn't enough time.

320 3M Gold dry, 240 3M Gold dry better. 1 month for good cure however nothing re-painted is going to have the same resilience as factory.

Also, paint build-up due to multiple layers will also cause issues. Keep in mind that the factory laid the paint on so thin the sun and rain would erode it.

If you want to get as close to what the factory did you'll have to have the paint applied with an air-brush.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Semi-gloss does not need anything more than dry 180 grit....you are making this too hard.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Semi-gloss does not need anything more than dry 180 grit....you are making this too hard.

180 is a little too course. Once the paint settles, sand scratches will pull.

I agree about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quite frankly, I don't even use a primer unless there was a repair made.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

180 is a little too course. Once the paint settles, sand scratches will pull.

I agree about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quite frankly, I don't even use a primer unless there was a repair made.

Not sure if you've seen my thread, but this is a small part of a panel off paint job
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if you've seen my thread, but this is a small part of a panel off paint job

give us a link.....
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Small... Big... The piece, the process and the paint doesn't know the difference.

I was doing this work way before anyone ever heard of a Fiero.

Fact is, I drove the prototype in 1983.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

give us a link.....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/095912.html
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You dont need any kind primer on the plastic trim at all. Its all about prep. BBEFORE you scuff it (I use maroon scotchbrite), you HAVE to clean it well with soap and water. I also use a brass brush. Rinse and dry, followed with good cleaning with wax and grease remover or acetone. Then you just need any good spray can paint. If its peeling, you had some residue like dressing on it. Ive never had paint peel/chip off plastic trim that wasnt hit by a door or something else at the spot. The only trim problem Ive ever had was making paint stick to chrome metal, like around windshields. I solved that by sandblasting the part, putting on primer to fill the blasting pits, then painting it.

If yours is coming off easily, I suggest going to a coin car pressure wash and blowing it all off and starting over with the cleaning. Some stuff like ArmorAll are VERY hard to remove, and I never use those trim dressings on anything. They have oils that soak INTO the part.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-08-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock