Painting Sail Panels by Dylpro
Started on: 10-20-2015 06:50 PM
Replies: 19 (629 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-26-2015 01:05 PM
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity has anyone painted the sail panels on a notchie? I'm getting my Formula painted black and remembered they were pretty faded, would it look bad if I had my guy paint them while he's painting the car? Or would it be easier/better to just buy one of the replacement panels on the market? As of now it appears he has the panel covered to not paint them so I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this before I told him whether to paint them or not.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should clarify, I mean on the part where the Arrowhead is, not the window/acrylic piece.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem with having them painted. I had mine painted satin black along with the mirrors. I also had my black trim painted too. A more glossy black. Looks great. Mine was a pannel off job though.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine isn't panel off but I am having the black trim and the mirrors painted as well, along with the rockers and the air dam on the front. Thank you very much!
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dylpro

249 posts
Member since Apr 2015
Well I just sent him a text to let him know and he sent me back a picture of the car painted so it may have been a little late, but overall it looks great so I'm not even upset. I always did like the full replacement windows the Fiero store sells anyways. I'll post some pictures of it in a couple days!
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can spend a little time and effort and sand down the arrowhead for that smooth look. I did that on one of my notchbacks and it looked pretty good.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to get a replacement arrowhead from the Fiero Store as I do like the arrowhead, just the whole black piece in general is very faded. That being said I have heard the quality of the replacements from TFS aren't as good as the originals (mine never had the originals), at least for the front emblem. I found NOS front emblem on eBay in the gold colour rather than the silver from the 88s but I think I may buy that one anyways. Then I'll probably buy the arrowheads from TFS
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the PONTIAC name plate for the back bumper of my Formula from Fiero Store. I heard before hand that they had issues with fading. So I took some clear paint made for plastics and clear coated the plate wth about 4 coats thinking that may prohibit the fading. It didn't work. It was nice and shiney silver when I put it on. Now it's just a solid black. Weird.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know, unfortunately mine I had on was in very poor condition, I'm assuming it was not original either as my front emblem wasn't either, so I'll probably be stuck with the Fiero store rear emblem. The NOS front emblem is metal for about the same price as the Fiero store's so it's a no brainer. It makes me skeptical of the arrowhead emblem too now. I'm going to wait on the Formula decal, if at all, but I'll probably buy it from Fierosails.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the arrowheads from Fiero Store and they held up good for over a year. So you should be good there. Luckily I had the original Formula decals from GM. The only thing I haven't put on is the Fiero decal on the deck lid. However I kind of like it without it. If I do buy one I will get one from Fiero Sails.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I painted my 85se sail panels with black plastidip. It is available in a aerosol can from most auto parts stores. No need to mask, just spray then use a exato knife to cut around what you want to leave. Then peel off the excess. The final product looks factory and can be redone any time you need. Mine is 3 years old and still looks good .

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I bought the PONTIAC name plate for the back bumper of my Formula from Fiero Store. I heard before hand that they had issues with fading. It was nice and shiney silver when I put it on. Now it's just a solid black.

A replacement PONTIAC name plate was put on my Formula two years ago and most of the silver is now gone. Cheaply made crap.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

I painted my 85se sail panels with black plastidip. It is available in a aerosol can from most auto parts stores. No need to mask, just spray then use a exato knife to cut around what you want to leave. Then peel off the excess. The final product looks factory and can be redone any time you need. Mine is 3 years old and still looks good .

Joe Sokol

Didn't think of that! That may be the perfect solution!

Originally posted by Patrick:

A replacement PONTIAC name plate was put on my Formula two years ago and most of the silver is now gone. Cheaply made crap.

That's a shame. Mine was a very dull grey and plastic. Were the originals metal like the front emblem?

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 10-22-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

That's a shame. Mine was a very dull grey and plastic. Were the originals metal like the front emblem?

Rear emblems were painted plastic...
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You can spend a little time and effort and sand down the arrowhead for that smooth look. I did that on one of my notchbacks and it looked pretty good.

I thought about doing this on my 84 but they were rubberized so I wasn't sure if it was really sand-able with the bare metal showing when I took the faded arrowheads out. I ended up painting the arrowheads black and putting them back in with the intent to someday remove the rubberized coating and redo it with some black plasti-dip spray. Didn't ever get around to it before I sold it though.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-22-2015).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by Dylpro:

My front emblem was gold chromed plastic. Were there any metal front emblems?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-22-2015).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I peeled the cracked glossy panels off my '87 parts car & painted the entire plastic frame with Dupli-color trim paint.
I put the SE decals on for my '84 - the aluminum frames under the plastic were corroding; warping and twisting the plastic.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You just need to scuff them up and paint them. If they have sun cracks, the paint will not cover them up. Even if you primer it, sand it smooth and paint them, they will shortly come right back. This goes for GT 'windows' too. If they are cracked and your going to paint them without replacing, you need to put a layer of fiberglass over it, then sand and prime.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You just need to scuff them up and paint them. If they have sun cracks, the paint will not cover them up. Even if you primer it, sand it smooth and paint them, they will shortly come right back. This goes for GT 'windows' too. If they are cracked and your going to paint them without replacing, you need to put a layer of fiberglass over it, then sand and prime.

Do you think the cracks would show through something like plasti-dip that is rubber* based and would flex with the panel as it expands and contracts?

* I don't know if it's rubber or some other elastomer.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what little ive seen of plastic dip the guy next door uses to do cars, i dont think it hides flaws any better than paint. Scratches, chips and cracks still show thru the ones ive seen.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock