$20 Dew Strip "fix" DIY by trivet
Started on: 10-20-2015 10:52 AM
Replies: 11 (1315 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-21-2015 06:43 PM
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I wanted to share this with the forum in case anyone else was interested in trying this.

Like a lot of Fiero owners, the dew wipes on my GT were in terrible shape.

I was at Home Depot one day and I happened to see this.

$10 each – I bought 2 of them.

It looked a LOT like the dew wipes on my Fiero…..so I got an idea.

Cut to width and length

Test fit - I simply placed it over the existing dew wipe

Some black silicon to seal cracks and for an adhesive

Let set and dry overnight……

I also added some plastic “door edge guard” molding along the top inside door panel, as it was a little rough as well. Really dressed it up! These are available at any auto store for about $8.

The finished project

Now this is in no way a replacement for a new set of dew wipes – but as far as appearance goes – it made big difference. And it took me all of about 30 minutes and $30 dollars (including the edge moldings) to complete. I did this in the spring and they have held up to a full season of driving and car shows.

I plan on a new set of replacement dew strip in the future, but I am very happy with this quick and easy “band-aid” for now.

I wanted to pass this along in case anyone else may be interested in a quick, cheap, and easy way to dress up your aging dew wipes.

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 10-21-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do they hold up with the windows going up and down? What if your current few wipes are pretty much gone? I'm wondering how I could get it to fit over my windows and hold with almost lno dew wipes left. I ought to invest in new ones. As far as these look though, very good and great alternative, even if it is only short term
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

Do they hold up with the windows going up and down? What if your current few wipes are pretty much gone? I'm wondering how I could get it to fit over my windows and hold with almost lno dew wipes left. I ought to invest in new ones. As far as these look though, very good and great alternative, even if it is only short term

You do need to have an existing dew wipe, or there would be nothing to adhere to if there was little to nothing left. (As you can see from my pics, my original dew wipes were fairly intact, just very cracked. It was fairly easy to fill in the cracks and place the "new" one over the existing.)

They have held up very well, opening and closing the windows does not affect them at all. But again, my originals are still intact and in place.

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 10-20-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On a couple of my Fieros, I've used a box cutter knife to trim the outer dew wipes right back to the nub as the rubber gets hard and marks up the glass. With the way you're sticking the new rubber onto the old dew wipes, yes it looks a lot better... but wouldn't you still have the issue of the glass being scratched up by the old dew wipes?
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

On a couple of my Fieros, I've used a box cutter knife to trim the outer dew wipes right back to the nub as the rubber gets hard and marks up the glass. With the way you're sticking the new rubber onto the old dew wipes, yes it looks a lot better... but wouldn't you still have the issue of the glass being scratched up by the old dew wipes?

Yes, that would be an issue still if you were having problems already. This "fix" is ornamental only. It looks really good, but it is NOT a replacement for new dew wipes.
This works great if the only issue you have with your original dew wipes is how bad they look.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

This works great if the only issue you have with your original dew wipes is how bad they look.

A couple of mine turned into granite, or something very similar.

To tell the truth, it's actually worked out fine cutting the rock hard rubber off and just leaving it that way.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A couple of mine turned into granite, or something very similar.

To tell the truth, it's actually worked out fine cutting the rock hard rubber off and just leaving it that way.

Doesn't that leave a gap between the door and window that would let water in?

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dew wipes job is one of a seal, window wiper (when the window is lowered) and it also serves as an anti-rattle mechanism. This repair job looks cosmetically pleasing and I applaud the poster for his ingenuity but did you ever see what happens to a the side window when dirt gets trapped in the wipe felt pads? The rubber also turns hard, abrasive with age and the felt pads wear. Not good for the window! Repeated raising and lowering will eventually put deep grooves in the window and ruin it.
Unfortunately this method of repair, however interesting (and it is) does not address the entire question of why dew wipes should be replaced. Replacing dew wipe can be a tedious job but it is often necessary to prevent window damage but I must agree with the OP that this method is cosmetically pleasing. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-21-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't that leave a gap between the door and window that would let water in?

Sure... but it just runs out the bottom.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The dew wipes job is one of a seal, window wiper (when the window is lowered) and it also serves as an anti-rattle mechanism. This repair job looks cosmetically pleasing and I applaud the poster for his ingenuity but did you ever see what happens to a the side window when dirt gets trapped in the wipe felt pads? The rubber also turns hard, abrasive with age and the felt pads wear. Not good for the window! Repeated raising and lowering will eventually put deep grooves in the window and ruin it.
Unfortunately this method of repair, however interesting (and it is) does not address the entire question of why dew wipes should be replaced. Replacing dew wipe can be a tedious job but it is often necessary to prevent window damage but I must agree with the OP that this method is cosmetically pleasing. .

I agree completely
As I mentioned in the original post - this is NOT a substitution for replacing your dew wipes, just a "band aid" for appearance only.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree completely
As I mentioned in the original post - this is NOT a substitution for replacing your dew wipes, just a "band aid" for appearance only.

I'm glad that you took my post the right way. You deserve an A for creativity. . If you keep your windows up most of the time, while you wait to do the dew wipe replacement you should be fine. I would just keep an eye on the windows to make sure that they are not being scratched. The scratches usually start to appear about 4" from the rear edge of the window right where the felt pad is.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock