Engine heat by 85fieroguy
Started on: 10-13-2015 09:11 PM
Replies: 44 (935 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 10-27-2015 05:11 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PATRICK...that's a gem !!!! LMAO.... The " guys" are realizing that this may not be the time of year to do heat tests on the Fiero's. Its going to be near 30* tonight and we will not see a 70 till maby next week, but a few have installed some " thermometers" in the Fiero engine bay. Should be interesting. " Its going to get as cold as my ex's heart" LOL
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

PATRICK...that's a gem !!!! LMAO....

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And just think gm made it run hotter. When I purchased a new 87gt it ran fine. But then I was 30yrs old just had fun driving it. Thanks to everyone my car i own now runs great.

[This message has been edited by jim94 (edited 10-20-2015).]

CarolinaRigman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in the south and it gets hot under the hood in the summer, but I think the members from Texas
and Arizona , New Mexico could tell you a few stories about under hood heat in a traffic jam!
I just direct as much air into the engine bay as I can and vent the hood for radiator air flow and
let mother nature and driving conditions and my temperature guage tell me the rest.
I do think that airflow definitely helps.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

LOL !!!!!...amazing replys as the Fiero Club hears about overheated coils, stock and MSD, wire meltings, cruise control cable problems, blower motors not always going on, and all the while guys are trying exhaust wraps, more ventilation, extra fans etc. Most racers KNOW the more outside air flow to the engine area. the better

With your poor grammar it's hard enough to understand WHAT you're asking. To get an intelligent answer we first have to have clear understanding of what you're asking.

To give you some data points, I have a stock 88 Fiero Formula. 88 didn't have a blower in the engine compartment but had a heat shield around the coil. I've never seen evidence of heat related problems with the coil, melting wires, cables, etc. that wasn't traceable to another cause such as pinched wiring, incorrectly routed wires or cables. Even the famous ignition control module failures that are frequently blamed on heat can more accurately be traced to incorrect application of heat sink compound and/or low quality parts.

A lot of people call themselves "racers" and they all seem to "KNOW" everything. How much is empirical knowledge and how much is bench racing BS is up for debate.
A racer should also know how much changing environment can affect performance. Given that, direct measurement of your vehicle in your environment is the only way to get the accurate data you want.

Are you just curious about the temps or is there a specific problem you're trying to correct? Properly maintained and operating, a stock V6 Fiero won't have any heat problems in the rear compartment.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock