Vehicle jealousy strikes again. by Quad Raider
Started on: 10-12-2015 01:41 PM
Replies: 13 (1039 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 07-10-2017 03:03 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've posted before about how when I plan to do extenisve work on my Fiero something major goes wrong with one of the other vehicles in the family. Here's an old thread about it:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093322.html

It happened over the summer when I was planning to spend a week's vacation painting panels for the Fiero, but instead had to replace the engine in my Cherokee. I'm on vacation next week, so what do you think happened? On Saturday afternoon, my daughter called me in tears to tell me her 1990 Camry had quit. After she described the symptoms I knew what I'd find:

That's what a thrown rod looks like in a Toyota. I will be spending my vacation next week replacing this engine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought this was going to be a vandalism story.
I'm happy that that wasn't the case, but I still hate that you're going to have to deal with the fragged Camry*.

*How did that happen? I thought Toyotas were un-killable.
My friend's '95 Tacoma has almost 500K on the odo. Not a spot of paint on the rust.
He changes the oil maybe every two years, whether it needs it or not. Amazing.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I was the only guy who had this issue. I started taking my Fiero apart for a repaint, and the passenger's side hub/bearing assembly went bad. So I spent the better part of the day getting that fixed.

Back to the Fiero, and less than a week later the driver's side hub goes bad on the Tahoe! And on top of that, once I get the thing apart I figure out the CV boot is torn too. FML!

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

My friend's '95 Tacoma has almost 500K on the odo. Not a spot of paint on the rust.

Yeah, she learned a lesson about low-oil warnings. She said she saw the warning a couple times but the sticker said she still had 1,500 miles until her next oil change, so she didn't check the level.

It's a 1990 with an interesting story. She bought it three years ago from a guy who'd bought it for his son, but the son didn't think it was sporty enough. He bought it from someone who'd kept it in a warehouse for years. It still looks brand new inside and out.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Yeah, she learned a lesson about low-oil warnings. She said she saw the warning a couple times but the sticker said she still had 1,500 miles until her next oil change, so she didn't check the level.

It's a 1990 with an interesting story. She bought it three years ago from a guy who'd bought it for his son, but the son didn't think it was sporty enough. He bought it from someone who'd kept it in a warehouse for years. It still looks brand new inside and out.

Women and cars don't mix!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-13-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I thought this was going to be a vandalism story.
I'm happy that that wasn't the case, but I still hate that you're going to have to deal with the fragged Camry*.

Toyota's unkillable? The 22re is just about un-killable as long as you change the oil and don't over-rev it. My 94 is coming up on 385K miles and it doesn't even burn oil. I too have a friend that has 500K on his 84 Toyota pickup. Believe me, the 22re is one hellava engine. And they are VERY popular with construction workers, gardeners, etc....
Kit
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happened again. Just about ready to get a lot of Fiero work done, when the transmission in my wife's Grand Prix started freaking out. Ever heard of a Pressure Control Solenoid? I just changed one.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happens to me too. Go on Vacation to work on the chumpcar and wind up replacing an engine in my friends BMW.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a gf with a Cavalier drive it for a few weeks with the oil lite first flickering then staying on. She thought the lite meant it was low. It didnt have enough to touch the dipstick and only about 1 quart drained out. She didnt have me check it till it blew up. She said she was always in too much of a hurry to go somewhere to take the time to add any. Mistake cost her $3000.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even a day off can be worse then working...
I spend today doing AC work for a Kia. ~90°F here and have to work outside to run the engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-04-2017).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Happened again. Just about ready to get a lot of Fiero work done, when the transmission in my wife's Grand Prix started freaking out. Ever heard of a Pressure Control Solenoid? I just changed one.

Yep. Changed all four solenoids on a 07 Impala SS. Has the 5.3 and have to drop the cradle, engine and trans enough to get the side cover off the trans in that thing. Was an all day job.
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go again. I spent several hours on Sunday working on my Fiero, mostly sanding and priming body panels. I made good progress as I prepare to paint the car.

This morning, my wife called me to tell me she'd hit a deer. She was so shaken up she couldn't tell me anything, so I assumed the car was totaled.

The car needed a paint job, especially the hood, but this is getting ridiculous.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only logical answer is own only Fieros?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Toyotas are unkillable.....Yeah, right...Ask the people who owned the early camrys about blown head gaskets....The dealers wouldn't volunteer the info- If you went in and complained they would fix them. And a guy named Deming from the prefecture(Japanese state) of Illinois taught the Japanese quality control.....He also taught the Fiero line about quality control. (By the way, back 30 years ago, US vs Import recalls were treated differently- basically, the US Govt had no real control over import recalls- but they could rake a US manufacturer over the coals for a few fires........("Didn't all those Fi-eros all burn up? They are a flaming death trap!!!!!")

I guess what we need are cars that drive themselves to the parts store, then request a quart of oil.....I think the human race is doomed! If our cell phones get a real virus and all go down, we will sit in the dark and starve because we don't know how to do anything......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock