Vinyl wrap by 85fieroguy
Started on: 10-10-2015 11:50 PM
Replies: 7 (447 views)
Last post by: seq on 10-14-2015 01:20 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used the clear vinyl wrap instead of a bra for a 85 GT ??? The clear seems interesting, but I wonder how difficult it is to get a smooth surface. I've been told they even vinyl wrap a complete car. Your comments please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Has anyone used the clear vinyl wrap instead of a bra for a 85 GT ??? The clear seems interesting, but I wonder how difficult it is to get a smooth surface. I've been told they even vinyl wrap a complete car. Your comments please.

I have not much experience wrapping at all, all ive wrapped is my interior trim. But I'd imagine if theres no chips in your front bumper, clear vinyl would work great it you did it right! Check out some youtube videos. Just my 2 cents
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes they wrap complete cars but normally for advertising. Many NASCAR stock cars are wraps today.

The clear Covers are mostly for the nose areas and in areas of damage. You really only want to do the front.

There is cheap and good out there. Try to stay with the 3M brand material as it is the best. I have done some installs and if you know what you are doing it is not bad but if not seek professional help. Lets put it this way. If you can install a BIrd Decal on a Trans Am with no issues you may be able to do this but if not I would not try.

Curves can be tricky and heat guns a must. I do many head lamps and such they car the toughest part. Also large pieces take two people.

Keep your hands wet with the solution too.

A well done job with quality product comes out well. Just do not go cheap and if you do not have the skill so not attempt to do a large nose on a car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know a lot of show car owners (driven ones) that have clear vinyl over their nose. It looks fine to me, 1,000 times better than a tacky bra. A friend just had the front of his Mercedes SUV daily driver done. Its black and all there is to see is a faint line where it stops. A Fiero GT with the 'snowplow' nose is the perfect candidate for one. Wouldnt even have a line...you could just cover the whole front facia to the hood line. No more chips or scratches.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note if your paint is not perfect that it will make air pockets. If you are going to install this you should have no stone chips or issues with the paint. A new car or Paint Job is the time to put this on.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wrapped roof of my fiero and then peeled it off and painted it but it isn't easy. The more you do the better you get at it don't be afraid to use water. You will waste a bit learning.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3M ClearBra stuff you're asking about isn't vinyl wrap. It is similar, but it is a different material and application.

It looks fine. Had it on a Mini Cooper. You need to pay special attention to it when cleaning the car though, as dirt will get trapped around the edge of the clear bra, and that will make it stand out more.
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I know a lot of show car owners (driven ones) that have clear vinyl over their nose. It looks fine to me, 1,000 times better than a tacky bra. A friend just had the front of his Mercedes SUV daily driver done. Its black and all there is to see is a faint line where it stops. A Fiero GT with the 'snowplow' nose is the perfect candidate for one. Wouldnt even have a line...you could just cover the whole front facia to the hood line. No more chips or scratches.

You can do the whole hood, instead of stopping part-way up the hood. A friend did this on his Audi. Cover entire panels, and you'll never know its there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock