Need a Bra by 85fieroguy
Started on: 10-05-2015 10:33 PM
Replies: 19 (663 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 10-09-2015 08:21 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
need a decent bra for my 85GT. Seen several that are so-so, want a nice "snug" one. What is considered the best one to use ???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got this to sell

regards
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014
Tylers Toy

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Colgan. They are the best one made.

Just never run on all the time. It can damage the paint.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bra is for only 2 things. Protecting the nose on a long road trip, covering damage from an accident. One should NEVER be left on for any extended period (several days). It dont matter how 'good' that it is. Ive fixed a lot of cars, mostly Corvettes that wore bras 24/7. They all needed the front half repainted. Worse ones even had grooves or slices cut into the fenders from vibrating bras sawing thru them.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your absolutely correct Roger, only going to use a bra on a road trip. Also, noticed you go to Belize ???..lovely country, nice people.
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like the Zorro look and big pull handles so I had the local upholstery shop make this one for me 20 yrs ago. Padded, water-resistant, and colored to match car. Fits tight even at track speed.

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no idea brand. I didn't find any issues when I took it off after being on for years.

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wolf....
They make one heck of a bra!
Kit
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, if you dont mind wet vinyl on your car all the time. I bought a Wolf car cover for one of my Vettes and it totally ruined the white paint over just one winter. It was all covered with mildew and mold. I repainted it and bought a Calif Car Cover for it instead that worked excellent.

Yes, I inherited a small house there on one of the island beaches. Its excellent, just not my cup of tea 24/7. For one thing, the island Im on dont have many cars, and those are all asian imported junk. Theres no paved roads. Some of the other islands are like Florida. Best is its 75* more or less, 24/7/365. Only had one damaging hurricane in 100 years. Theres basicly no crime, house dont even have glass, no locks. Just screens with storm shutters.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the deal.

Yes you use them for a trip and take them off.

If they get wet you take them off if the sun comes out as it will damage the paint.

You need to make sure you do not get dirt under them.

Colgan is the originator of the bra. They make the highest quality and the best one out on the market. But you must follow the care and not leave it on all the time.

Wolf made one similar to the Colagn. it was padded and well made too but same issues. But Wolf is gone and bought out buy Cover Craft.

Lebra walk away fast. they dry out fast but have no padding. Not good on dark paint.

One reasonable option is a new kind of cover that is made of spandex. It is cloth and stretches over the nose of the car. Some Fiero owners have used them to keep the bugs off. They buy a C4 Corvette version as it will work with the Fiero.
It does not have much padding and may not stop a larger rock but bugs and small stones or sandblasting is protected.

Unless you really need on for trips I would skip the idea. I have one and only use it on trips of more than 2 hours or If I take a longer trip with many bugs out. It is a Colgan and I have had it for 15 years and it still fits tight and solid. The key to good fit is tight. I replace my first Colgan as it got loose after time past. But I use them rarely so they hold up pretty long.

Most other bras out there I would not put on a dump truck like the Labra.

Just do not get duped by the BWM people who used them as a status symbol since the 80's as these covers are tools for a specific use and can if used wrong create more damage than they save.

I have warned people in the past and had them come back only to say I wish I had listened.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Need a Bra

Might be time to take some weight off, big boy.

PFF
System Bot
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another option is one that I've seen on everything from street rods to exotics:
http://www.clearbrafilms.com/ .
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can fix those sagging headlights with new motors too
i was thinking as posted above the paint protection film and have seen kit for fieroon ebay in past.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For road trips, I have a breathable spandex bra, I does a wonderful job, only takes a minute to put on or take off. If I remember right, for it is for a C4 corvette. It fits the Aero nose perfect. For the 88 Formula/coupe. You will have to custom make one. The C4 changes the air flow over nose Regular bra's cause paint damage, They are also very time consuming to put on or take off.
The spandex does a great of protecting paint from rock chips and bugs. With a black car, that's important, it shows everything, lol. I use mine for roads trips and back and forth to car show's. Saves a lot of time with clean up.
I got it from C5 creations. Wasn't very expensive. Look for the one for a C4 Corvette.
Hope this helps,
Brian

[This message has been edited by bkw88 (edited 10-08-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had/have(2) an 84 factory bra, sold it with the 84, still have one, never took it off the car, made the car look so much better, not like the GT bras. And it didn't damage the paint like they usually do. I never saw an aftermarket bra with that quality. It even had roll up headlight door flaps.

Edit to add: the vette nose and the Fiero(87-88 coupe) nose are damn near the same, the vette marker lights wrap around a bit more)

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-09-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of Corvette guys I know now, use the spandex ones. very light, you can store them in a ziplock bag and only takes seconds to remove or install. They just use them for road trips. Taste is in the eye of the beholder... Ive never thought a bra on any car looked good. Why bother to paint it at all if you cover it up. No need to ever fix it if you rear end someone. To me its in the same class as duct taping your bumper or lights on. I dont know who specificly started them, but the whole idea originated in Europe where weekend racers protected their daily cars paint from gravel and dirt roads they raced on. They also put tape across the front lights or installed a guard of some kind over them (see 53 Corvette w/ screens). They removed them after racing. It then moved to the US where it made their cars look like race cars (fast and furious syndrome) for the crowd who tied a sweater around there neck/shoulder/waist. When are we going to see cars on the street with tape over their headlites ?

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-09-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I had/have(2) an 84 factory bra, sold it with the 84, still have one, never took it off the car, made the car look so much better, not like the GT bras. And it didn't damage the paint like they usually do. I never saw an aftermarket bra with that quality. It even had roll up headlight door flaps.

I had an aftermarket one for my '84 that had rollups for for headlights. I can't remember who made it, but It fit nicely and never had issues with paint. I had it for years.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

A lot of Corvette guys I know now, use the spandex ones. very light, you can store them in a ziplock bag and only takes seconds to remove or install. They just use them for road trips. Taste is in the eye of the beholder...

Yeah, if I had one I'd just use it on the highway. Or maybe if I wanted to do the full 80s scene with the bra.

My year-round daily-driver gets stone chips like crazy. Some I'm sure is kicked up by trucks but I think regular cars and trucks do as as well. I did a weekend in Michigan a few years ago (in the winter) and there was sand everywhere afterward; around the headlights, on the radiator, behind the battery, even on the engine. I think there was just a wet, sandy spray kicked by all the traffic on the interstate and there was no way to avoid it. I probably should be happy it was sand and not salt.

When I lived in Peoria, they used cinders on the roads in the winter. Some placed probably still do. I'm sure they're even more abrasive!

bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is used to travel with only. It comes off for shows.
It does an excellent job of keeping bugs dirt and especially rock chips. With the number of hours we have in the paint..( don't paint a car black...lol).....I would call it priceless!!!! Not only does it protect the nose of the car, it makes wiping the car down when we make it to shows.
Don't use the spray stuff on a dark color.....you will have issues if it is in sun, or is left on for more than a week. Not a good idea
Brian
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key to leaving a bra on without paint damage is unbuffed wax. Wax the car as you normally would but DON'T buff the wax in the area where the bra will be. Leave it "raw" and thick. Two or 3 good thick coats of wax (preferably the paste wax) and the bra won't harm the paint. I had a bra on my '86 for a couple years and it didn't leave a single mark.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock