Headlight motor wont stop by painandgain99
Started on: 10-03-2015 05:23 PM
Replies: 22 (751 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-07-2015 11:52 PM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When i close or open my 87' GT headlights the drivers side motor keeps spinning for 5-10 seconds then stops. Can anyone help me out with this?
Also, the dogbone looks kinda crooked, is it alright?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

And i wrapped the trim in carbon recently, thought you all might like to see as someone suggested for my console cap peeling back, i clamped it and superglued. Going to clamp a few more spots one i re wrap the trim

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 10-03-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll need a rebuild from here:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=32&products_id=231

And if you want to replace the 5 speed decal on your shift plate:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=37&products_id=143
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You'll need a rebuild from here:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=32&products_id=231

And if you want to replace the 5 speed decal on your shift plate:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=37&products_id=143

Thank you very much, ive been looking for thr decal. Im going to re wrap everything first, i did a cruddy job. And is this the only problem with the headlights you think thatd make them do that?

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have some deteriorating engine or transmission mounts causing the dogbone to be a little off.

Good job on the wrap. I used some on my truck after a garage person touched a plastic trim piece surrounding my keypad entry. He must have had brake fluid on his hands because it left his hand print burned into it. Wrapped the plexi trim piece and it looks like it's factory.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

You may have some deteriorating engine or transmission mounts causing the dogbone to be a little off. .

How serious is this? Is it something to worry about
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 87-88 Headlights are very reliable. The little nylon bushings are designed to be sacrificial in case the headlights get jammed, but over time they turn to dust. The good news is they are easily replaced and your headlights are good as new. The motor stops after a few seconds and will not run down your battery. The earlier generation has far worse problems that are not as easily repaired. They will run forever until your battery runs down when the limit sensor fails.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad engine or transmission mounts aren't real real serious. The dogbone will keep the motor from falling out on the ground. Seriously, though, you'll start to notice the car chug a little when changing gear or when accelerating and decelerating. The dogbone takes up some of that torque, but the motor and trans mounts help. They aren't all that hard to change if you have a moderate mechanical ability and a floor jack and stands. Look at the rubber in the mounts and if they're oil soaked, they probably should be replaced.

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Bad engine or transmission mounts aren't real real serious. The dogbone will keep the motor from falling out on the ground. Seriously, though, you'll start to notice the car chug a little when changing gear or when accelerating and decelerating. The dogbone takes up some of that torque, but the motor and trans mounts help. They aren't all that hard to change if you have a moderate mechanical ability and a floor jack and stands. Look at the rubber in the mounts and if they're oil soaked, they probably should be replaced.

Based on mine, does it look bad? Do i have a few months before having to fix it you think
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine doesn't always sit perfectly straight. Depends upon how the mounts were positioned. I couldn't tell you if yours need replacing without actually looking at them.

The engine falling out thing was just a joke.
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
point for reference? this was the motor mount from my 84 duke a couple of years ago. so nasty i had to take a picture :-)
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those looking for headlight motor repair and perhaps longer lasting reliability Cardone now offers new headlight motors for around $85. More expensive than the easy bushing fix but the new motors operate much smoother than repaired motors and may last longer.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:
When i close or open my 87' GT headlights the drivers side motor keeps spinning for 5-10 seconds then stops. Can anyone help me out with this?
Should be 5-6 sec...
Most likely, Motor "Pins" are bad and motor runs until module's timer turns off.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor
what the pins do... //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/128600.html#p15

You can try to fix them or get Cardone units.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/136464.html#p13
call or google them because you can find new units for ~$90 each

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-04-2015).]

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Now that one headlight wont go up unless i help it, it goes up fine when the hood is up. Just doesnt have the strength to open the cover on the hood alone. Should i not use it until i fix this or will it be ok to open manually?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open the hood and let it go up or help it if needed then close the hood. As Ogre indicted, the relay module will disengage power after a prescribed time, so the motor won't continue to run.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

Thanks for all the help guys. Now that one headlight wont go up unless i help it, it goes up fine when the hood is up. Just doesnt have the strength to open the cover on the hood alone. Should i not use it until i fix this or will it be ok to open manually?

you can use it this way indefinitely, but it will continue to get worse until it won't move at all on it's own.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, funny enough i just realized i had power locks. The drivers side locks and unlocks after 2 or 3 pushes, but the passenger tries to but seems like it cant move enough. Any help?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The mechanism inside the doors could use some cleaning and lubrication, but in the meantime, just keep repeatedly pushing the button until you get the result you want.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no need to order the bushings, they sell them at all auto parts stores, in the "help" section as "ford window regulator bushings"

Dorman 74410

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

no need to order the bushings, they sell them at all auto parts stores, in the "help" section as "ford window regulator bushings"

Dorman 74410

And these fit in the headlight motor fine?
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Ford window bushings years ago were worth it. I'm pretty sure they were turned Delrin or Nylon or similar. No the same thing these days. They are now injection molded something and seem to fail at a much faster rate than the turned Delrin. But from the picture they do look softer so that could be a worthy argument. I've had more than a few order mine (For Ford electric windows and headlight motors) after they used the Help bushings saying they did not last very long. Anyone here have a similar experience using the Help bushings?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

The Ford window bushings years ago were worth it. I'm pretty sure they were turned Delrin or Nylon or similar. No the same thing these days. They are now injection molded something and seem to fail at a much faster rate than the turned Delrin. But from the picture they do look softer so that could be a worthy argument. I've had more than a few order mine (For Ford electric windows and headlight motors) after they used the Help bushings saying they did not last very long. Anyone here have a similar experience using the Help bushings?

Thanks rodney, love your store im getting your clutch master cylinder soon.

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to disassemble and reassemble the headlight motor? Couldnt find a good detailed tutorial.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:
From 2nd Gen Headlight Pin Replacement This vid claim he contacted Dorman and new clear ones are allot better but didn't try.

Have you or anyone call/email Dorman? Current product is clear plastic. Old one above look about same as OE HL pins. There are allot of old parts still in inventory at many outlets.

I won't trust most people saying Dorman are junk, new or old version of pins, Because other reasons why the pins can break but most people just blame the pins. The Internet is very good at pushing Myths and the bad the better.

Gen2 HL module a bit late on killing power can overload the pins. If the door and/or lift are binding that can overload the pins too. Overloading can break/shear the pins then grind them to dust. While a pain to replace the pins... Is allot easier and cheaper then replace/fix the gear or output shaft.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-07-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32237 posts
Member since Mar 99
I ask Dorman today what family plastic both versions are make of and they tell me "Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) is what they’re made of."
I guess same family/class but different formulas...
You can look up charts etc for this from many sources.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock