Looking at buying a fiero by Polop148
Started on: 09-30-2015 12:32 PM
Replies: 12 (256 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 10-01-2015 09:20 AM
Polop148

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polop148Send a Private Message to Polop148Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I am looking at buying an 1985 Fiero This One , this would be my second car. I am curious as to what I should look for on these. Also, since its the 2m4 how much of an ask would it be to reduce the price? ( I want to swap the engine out for the V6 so any money saved now would go towards that )
Also, How reliable are these cars, I know there is the whole "starts fires" debate where a few had the problem and that crucified it in the eyes of most people but what are your guys' opinions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Have you had a chance to investigate the SEARCH function? Your questions have been answered many times before. Look for rust. Don't let the plastic body panels fool you.....there is a steel frame under them....
Polop148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polop148Send a Private Message to Polop148Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I haven't used the SEARCH function will now though. Yeah the rust is one of my main concerns since it is an older car and my previous car was a 1999 Infiniti G20 and I have to scrap it or sell it for parts due to how badly the undercarriage and engine mounts rusted out. ( 2 massive holes in driver foot well ) Thanks for the advice though
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That one looks very clean, including the engine. I'm not sure how much $2900 Canadian is in US $, but I'm guessing the price could go down.
I'd suggest that you peel back some of the carpet in the trunk and look for rust underneath. And, of course, look for rust underneath the car.
And as for fires, if the car has lasted this long without burning, you have nothing to worry about. The problem was mainly with the 84 models anyway, and still a very small percentage.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree it looks clean in a lot of areas: interior, body panels, engine. I see some rust in the battery tray area. I didn't see any pics of the front compartment or underbody.

Realize that the car is 30 years old AND has 148K on the clock. An L4 to V6 swap is a big deal. You may just want to start with a V6 Fiero, and go from there. Either way, if you do the swap correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about factory fire issues--only potential issues with the swap itself.

Disclaimer: I have never done the swap mentioned, only V6 to V8 swaps in trucks.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oooooh, tan interior, nice!
In general it looks to be well looked after and that can be an indicator of potential rust but the only way to really tell is to physically look at the usual places.
4 cyl automagik is pretty gutless power wise so be prepared to live with it until you can do a swap. I went L4 to 3.4 DOHC. Not that hard engineering wise, just took me loooong time to sort out electrical issues (that turned out to be two wires the wrong way round!).

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Polop148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polop148Send a Private Message to Polop148Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, didn't expect so much feedback. Thanks for all the useful tips and info. Yeah I don't plan on hopping right into the swap I'm going to take a week off work and get some buddies and hammer it out type deal. I wanted my first car to be a project car but it rusted out too fast on me so I wasn't able to do things that way and instead used it to learn about cars.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Polop148:

I am looking at buying an 1985 Fiero This One , this would be my second car. I am curious as to what I should look for on these. Also, since its the 2m4 how much of an ask would it be to reduce the price? ( I want to swap the engine out for the V6 so any money saved now would go towards that )

IMO, that's WAY too much for a 4-banger automatic. I realize markets are different everywhere, but I'm serious when I say it's difficult giving away a 4-banger automatic Fiero out here in Vancouver.

And you want to swap out the engine as well? So why are you buying (and paying extra) for one that runs?

Find a Fiero in perfect condition with a blown engine if you wish to do a swap.

For your first Fiero, an even better idea is to buy a Fiero that came from the factory with a V6... and one so equipped can be found for a lot less than $2900.

I just hate to see someone brand new to Fieros get taken advantage of.
Polop148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polop148Send a Private Message to Polop148Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And you want to swap out the engine as well? So why are you buying (and paying extra) for one that runs?

Find a Fiero in perfect condition with a blown engine if you wish to do a swap.

Thanks for the response but I have thought of that but I have had to take my current beater off the road so I need the car to be running for the first month or so since I'm commuting to visit other branches. Then once I'm working in town again I plan to do the swap. Greatly appreciate your advice on the value of these cars. Will definitely see how far down this guy will go in terms of price and will look at getting one with a V6 if he doesn't let it go.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious... Why did they give you a pic of the passengers seat but not the drivers?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to connect with some of the local guys:

http://www.gtfieros.com/
PFF
System Bot
Polop148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polop148Send a Private Message to Polop148Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Curious... Why did they give you a pic of the passengers seat but not the drivers?

Couldn't tell you. Haven't seen it yet.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the third picture, you can see the driver's seat thru the windscreen. Looks to have a cover on it to me so probably the usual bolster problem at least.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock