Using VHT on stainless exhaust manifold by 85fieroguy
Started on: 09-28-2015 10:39 PM
Replies: 11 (459 views)
Last post by: dobey on 09-30-2015 09:48 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume you have to use VHT primer first that I cannot find at the Auto Zones. I sprayed them ( before assembly and were perfectly clean) without a primer, they looked good but burned off to a dull grey. Any advice ???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, you should just continue your other thread about the same question and not start a new one on the same topic.

Maybe your exhaust manifold is exceeding the heat rating of the paint. Go for a drive at night and see if your exhaust manifold is glowing red. If so, you are running too rich and therefore, too hot.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again, I didn't use any primer, just followed the baking sequence as best I could with a regular oven.

No peeling and only slight discoloration after two years.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was another recent thread on this. I never found any kind of paint that would stay on the oem manifolds. It all either burned or flaked off pretty quick. I think a ceramic coating is the only possibility.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't bother. If you really want to get the manifolds (and rest of the exhaust) coated, I'd try to find somewhere to get Titanium Nitrate coating for a decent price. Or standard ceramic coating for probably a lower price. If you don't prep and cure the paint properly, you'll almost certainly get it burning off and flaking like crazy.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my stock manifolds. Used the high temp primer and the ceramic header paint--baked it on car per instructions -- still on 2 yrs later

------------------
Pat Jones

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you don't prep and cure the paint properly, you'll almost certainly get it burning off and flaking like crazy.

I prepped the manifolds by cleaning them thoroughly with mineral spirits and then acetone.

After painting, I oven baked them according to the directions on the can, except that I could only get to 550 degrees, not 650.

I'm very satisfied with the results.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats wrong with just a walnut or soda blasting, and leave them as is ? They are stainless.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Whats wrong with just a walnut or soda blasting, and leave them as is ? They are stainless.

Titanium Nitrate coating would reduce heat soaking through the steel by up to 50% or so. Not sure how much it would cost for Fiero manifolds though. Getting Titanium manifolds made for a 2.8 would be a bit extreme, would probably cost more than the car is worth, and might not last very long since 2.8s can run rich and hit 900+F at the manifolds. Inconel would hold up, but also insanely costly.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done many sets of stock and aftermarket manofolds!/ headers. Never primed first, or baked in oven. I usually just drive the car. And have never had a issue with VHT paint of any color.
The only things that could cause a dulling issue or flaking issue is simply contamination, or too much heat for the paint. Ck your timing, I would bet your a degree or two to far advanced. Or a plugged cat causing a rich condition a stated earlier. Of its too far advanced that will also cause the manifolds too overheat and "burn" the paint. One of these things is the answer to your Question.........its all been covered more than once in both threads you have.
Brian
It looks like you have more work you do to make it pretty again
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after doing the gasket job, never again do I hope to remove the headers. Have be advised to mask off and repaint with VHT and cure it with the engine running off and on...OR...as someone suggested, paint the header with aluminum paint. YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ?????
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Well, after doing the gasket job, never again do I hope to remove the headers. Have be advised to mask off and repaint with VHT and cure it with the engine running off and on...OR...as someone suggested, paint the header with aluminum paint. YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ?????

You can paint them any color you want, or not at all. Just make sure you use paint that can handle like 1200F temps, and prep the manifolds correctly before painting.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock