84 solid vents on an 88? by DKcustoms
Started on: 09-28-2015 05:04 PM
Replies: 10 (423 views)
Last post by: no2pencil on 09-29-2015 02:13 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some 84 solid decklid vents that I bought when I had an 86 that I am going to use for project.
But now I only have an 88, the struts are moved inward on the 88 so does anyone know if the 84 vents will work on the 88s?

My vents are buried somewhere, I plan to dig them out and check tomorrow, but just curious if anyone knows in the meantime
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The strut mounting points moved a little, but I think the bracketry for the vents puts the hold down screws in the same location as the 84-87 cars.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use the solid covers, how will hot air get out of the engine compartment?
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

If you use the solid covers, how will hot air get out of the engine compartment?

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Hence the "project" I'm working on
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
couple of ideas to share for getting the hot air out. i envisioned them actuated with either a dash switch, key-on or thermal switch

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 vents are unique, the inboard mounting tabs are wider and have two holes so they will fit the pre-88's.
The 84 solid covers will not attach to the inboard bracket, some fabrication will be needed.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wolf63:

couple of ideas to share for getting the hot air out. i envisioned them actuated with either a dash switch, key-on or thermal switch

You might as well put something like that on a coolant switch.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

You might as well put something like that on a coolant switch.

I don't know that'd I'd want it to get that hot. Driving on the highway your fan may never come on because there's enough airflow over the radiator. That would keep the vent closed and not let any hot air out of the engine compartment. I'd want to either have a temp sensor for the engine bay controlling just the vent, or have them open whenever the ignition is on.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Set it up the same as the Porsche--the vent, not the wing. I'm not sure what triggers theirs.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I ran my 85 with the mustang scoop id the deck lid & 84 solids, it kept under 200. Without the mustang scoop in the deck lid, it would over heat standing still, but stayed cool while driving.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock