Temperature Gauge Fix by canfirst
Started on: 09-23-2015 11:50 AM
Replies: 2 (910 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 09-25-2015 12:47 AM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious how many owners have done the temperature gauge fix to their Fieros? I recently attended a car show on a hot summer evening and on my way home noticed my engine temperature light was flickering on dimly. My temperature gauge barely moved beyond 100 degrees, the radiator fan would not engage and the temperature dummy light would not light up as it should when the car was started. The only way I could stop the temperature light from coming on while I was driving was to turn the air conditioning on and then the radiator fan would run constantly.

I did the temperature gauge fix by extending and switching 2 wires behind the instrument cluster and switching the wires at the engine temperature sensor according to the instructions provided at http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html. This fixed the problem and now the temperature gauge registers the engine temperature and the dummy test light comes on briefly when the car is started. Many thanks to fierosails.com for providing excellent instructions on this crucial repair.

If Fiero owners aren't aware of this problem they could unknowingly overheat their engine and possibly cause considerable damage to the motor. I believe this was a factory wiring defect for all Fiero model years from 1984 to 1988. I am surprised that General Motors never caught this defect over a 5 year period and wonder if they still have a legal obligation to repair this factory defect if someone took their Fiero to a GM dealer and asked to have the defective wiring corrected? Was a recall ever issued for this defect and is there a time limit for owners to have recalls such as this corrected?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did the fix to keep the temp needle from pegging while starting the engine. Some have reported the needle falling off the post or stuck itself at max, etc.
I heard other GM cars of that era had the same problem.

Chrysler also had some electrical issues in the 70's. My new 73 Dodge van showed its colors on the first day. With key out of ignition and 4-ways on I could apply the brake and operate all the accessories, wipers, heater, radio, etc. Of course they all worked intermittently thru the flasher. Dealer didn't believe me so I tried it on several vans on his lot to prove my point.
Back on topic, I don't think there was any recalls for the Fiero temp needle pegging out.----- unless you can prove it can start a fire!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Just curious how many owners have done the temperature gauge fix to their Fieros? I recently attended a car show on a hot summer evening and on my way home noticed my engine temperature light was flickering on dimly. My temperature gauge barely moved beyond 100 degrees, the radiator fan would not engage and the temperature dummy light would not light up as it should when the car was started. The only way I could stop the temperature light from coming on while I was driving was to turn the air conditioning on and then the radiator fan would run constantly.

I did the temperature gauge fix by extending and switching 2 wires behind the instrument cluster and switching the wires at the engine temperature sensor according to the instructions provided at http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html. This fixed the problem and now the temperature gauge registers the engine temperature and the dummy test light comes on briefly when the car is started. Many thanks to fierosails.com for providing excellent instructions on this crucial repair.

If Fiero owners aren't aware of this problem they could unknowingly overheat their engine and possibly cause considerable damage to the motor. I believe this was a factory wiring defect for all Fiero model years from 1984 to 1988. I am surprised that General Motors never caught this defect over a 5 year period and wonder if they still have a legal obligation to repair this factory defect if someone took their Fiero to a GM dealer and asked to have the defective wiring corrected? Was a recall ever issued for this defect and is there a time limit for owners to have recalls such as this corrected?

Not sure how the temperature gauge fix is related to your fan not coming on. Don't have the drawing in front of me, but I believe the sensor that runs the gauge and light is completely separate from the fan switch on all models.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock