Started on: 09-16-2015 10:36 AM
Replies: 9 (772 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 09-28-2015 11:01 AM
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some feedback on which headliner is best to cut up for the T-Top.

Fiero Store RBS Plastic Headliner or Archie's Fiberglass.

My old headliner was repaired, taped, recovered some 11 years ago and it is crumbling, sagging and beyond repair. I definitely need to replace it.

Anyone who has done this with either headliner what did you use to replace the inside trim as well?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up making my own.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search hard and find an used one from a non sunroof car. Few years ago I bought the FS one and fit was horrible.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re headliner trim. If you are talking about the material I got mine from Jo-Ann fabrics locally. I got a couple of yards to allow for screw ups.
I forget what I used for adhesive exactly, some sort of industrial strength 3M product specifically for headliners that does not let go in the heat.
For the plastic trim around the sunroof opening I got a new length from the FS. Worked fine.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ONLY use DAP Weldwood Contact Cement (YELLOW ONLY) on all my carpet and upholstery work. It has never let me down on any job ive used it for. Its Liquid Nails for fabrics. In 40 years of restoration work, Ive yet to see ANY spray can glue hold up a headliner in the summertime. It might work fine for a T- Top car that barely has any headliner to speak of.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-17-2015).]

dkh1020

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stay away from the one from the Fiero store. Its terrible. looks good but doesn't come close to fitting correctly. How do you plan to make the cuts for the T-Tops? I'm currently trying to figure that out now. my thought is to overlay the original on the new or create a cardboard template from the old. There is no room for mistakes as I searched long and hard for a factory original in good condition.
MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way to replace a T Top headliner is to do it just as C&C or dealers did when installing the T Top. The cars were all non sunroof cars. After the T Top kit was installed the original headliner was reinstalled. Then, using a sharp knife like an Xacto carefully cut through the headliner backing from above using the metal top frame opening as a guide. This must be done VERY carefully as you don't want to cut through the fabric. You have the thickness of the foam as a safety margin. I use a stop on the knife blade so it can't go too deep. When the backing is separated remove it by separating it from the fabric and foam and lifting it up . I find this is easier by going inside the car and cutting through the fabric/foam on the loose panel portion about an inch from the edge. Then you only have to separate the foam for that inch wide section to remove the cut out. If in doubt go a little bit wider rather than less on that inch. Now peel off the foam from the cloth by gentle scraping or just rolling it off of the fabric with two fingers. Check the fit of the fabric by pulling it up and over the metal lip around the opening. It should go over the top and down the inside but not so far as to be visible after the plastic trim is on. Apply headliner adhesive to the retainer lip and pull the fabric up and folded over the lip. I use metal clips to hold it as I go. Pull equally so as not to have wrinkles. Install the push on trim around the lip. I have found the "factory" C&C plastic trim doesn't fit too well so I use some push on edge trim from an upholstery shop.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a TFS headliner in my hardtop. Other than the material coming loose from the drivers side cove, I think it's a great headliner. Fits well and it very sturdy.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should start grabbing headliner boards when I see them in the junkyard. I've seen some that were just about perfect (hardtop, that is, not sunroof).
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut up a non-sunroof TFS plastic headliner for my t-top. I actually melted the plastic with a hot soldering iron to cut it, being careful not to cut all the way through and damage the cloth. I mounted it,scratched marks where to cut, and then cut from the top side out of the car. It actually worked out pretty good.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 09-28-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock