Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1988 front caliper sliders hard to find?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 front caliper sliders hard to find? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 09-04-2015 08:02 PM
Replies: 20 (908 views)
Last post by: Will on 11-04-2017 06:18 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking for the sliders to fit the front brake calipers on my 88 GT. I can't seem to find them anywhere. Rodney doesn't have them and the Fiero Store only carries the bolts but not the sliders. Haven't been able to find them on eBay either. In the mean time I pulled them out of the passenger side and cleaned and lubricated them but they are not in great shape with obvious signs of scraping and "chattering" kind of nicks and marks. I'll probably do the drivers side tonight.

Are these things really that rare? If so I might go back to Pin N Pull and grab a pair from an 88 I've seen there.

Edited to ask..... Does anyone know if there are other GM models that use the same sliders?

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 09-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I normally just sand the corrosion off, lube, and re-install.

The only other "similar" caliper is from the rear of the late 80's AWD Pontiac STE. They had solid rear rotors, so the bridges are narrower. The 88 Fiero parts are popular compared to those.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The only other "similar" caliper is from the rear of the late 80's AWD Pontiac STE. They had solid rear rotors, so the bridges are narrower. The 88 Fiero parts are popular compared to those.

LOL Beat me by fifteen seconds!

I didn't realize those were narrower though. I've pirated the pad springs off a few in the junkyard, but those won't differ between Fiero and 6000.

I'd buy a 6000 AWD if I could ever come across a nice one. I like those various odd GM cars.

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I cleaned them up, lubed them and reinstalled. These pics are right after cleaning. They still look pretty rough to me. Wish I had replacements instead. I'll test drive it this weekend and hope for the best.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 09-05-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with you. If I have to work on it now, I'd as soon it be perfect. So, I replace, which leads to lots of used parts. These can't be hard to make, though.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also still buy NOS 88 Fiero Front calipers at http://calipersonline.com/pontiacfiero.aspx
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroGuru is right.

As for just the sliders, maybe Rodney would be interested in reproducing these.
He's definitely got the expertise to bring these to reality.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could you not go to a machine shop and have some made? I am pretty sure they are just hardened aluminum or alloy.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

could you not go to a machine shop and have some made? I am pretty sure they are just hardened aluminum or alloy.

I hadn't thought of that. Sounds expensive though when the other year parts are just a few bucks. I'll keep it in mind if my recent maintenance doesn't do the trick and I can't find a decent set somewhere.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I bought my reman calipers from Delcoline, they came with new sliders--maybe I should have kept my old ones

------------------
Pat Jones

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the way with computers now if it is just a metal sleeve it should be pretty easy to scan and have someone make. probably 100 for setup and couple bucks a slider. now make a 100 and sell them for?? 10 a slider or so and make your money back and then some.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could look at this if there is enough demand. I would guess they are hardened steel out of a very high grade steel. Possibly hard chrome plated. Certainly center-less ground to a very high surface finish. Maybe somehow polished after the center less grinding? Not just that easy to have made. These have to be very precision and have a very polished surface finish. I should have the slider boots made. I have always heard the ones available do not fit well.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. At $10 for both sides, sure. I may need a set someday. I guess it depends on price. I'm an ignorant consumer. While I realize that there are lots of development costs, I know that things are discussed and we show interest, then they are developed, and the price is high and demand vaporizes. I guess my interest all depends on price.

Rodney, can you machine the parts yourself, or is everything outsourced? Reason I ask, is that while I no longer have access to a machine shop, I do have someone who makes molds and dies. In theory, they could make just about anything. Right now, they have a side business making engine parts for a drag racing team. I have no samples of the sliders, and no way to verbalize the specifics of making them.

Anyone still remember the cam-driven green screw machines, with a multi-tool and a tube feeder, powered by the big belts? Got rid of the last one.

Machines can now do the job, and text or call you when the job is complete. The only thing they don't do is clean up all the little metal filings that get everywhere.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I should have the slider boots made.

Yes, you should!

It wasn't until I got my Formula two years ago that I discovered '88 caliper slider boots are next to impossible to find replacements for. Fortunately mine are fine... for now.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had an 88 I used 2000 fine sand paper and the sliders didn't look to bad.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-06-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just going to say the same thing. I would put those in a vise, cut a strip of wet sand sandpaper ( maybe 250-400 grade) and smooth th out a little.
Note to self....grab " good condition" front sliders from 88's whenever an 88 is at a yard.
Kit
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I could look at this if there is enough demand. I would guess they are hardened steel out of a very high grade steel. Possibly hard chrome plated. Certainly center-less ground to a very high surface finish. Maybe somehow polished after the center less grinding? Not just that easy to have made. These have to be very precision and have a very polished surface finish. I should have the slider boots made. I have always heard the ones available do not fit well.

Agreed! They don't fit quite right, and they dry rot in minutes. (less than a year) I've found that the original ones, if not torn or broken should be wiped off, re-greased and reused.

IMO, the sliders SHOULD have been polished 304 or some other 300 grade of stainless. It's easy to machine and will last forever without pitting from corrosion, and strength wouldn't be compromised. Considering the caliper around them is aluminum, I wouldn't expect the slider's to have been made with anything tougher than some crap grade steel, that is simply chrome plated for corrosion resistance.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they are chrome plated they are hard chrome plated because hard chrome is very, very tough.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Note to self....grab " good condition" front sliders from 88's whenever an 88 is at a yard.
Kit

88 fronts and rears are the same....At this point, anything good that is 88 brakes should be grabbed I think.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-10-2015).]

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2015 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in a set of these (with boots) as well. I think there would be quite a bit of demand for these if you did produce them, Rodney.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If they are chrome plated they are hard chrome plated because hard chrome is very, very tough.

Nothing of the sort is even remotely close to being required. These parts ride in an aluminum bore and the surface speed is ZERO. They could almost be pot metal. GM used the CHEAPEST crap they could get. I had to bead blast one. It is definitely NOT hard chromed. It is also quite soft, as I had to strike it pretty hard to get it out and marked the end significantly.

Threadsurrection!
I just cleaned and regreased my rear sliders. I didn't know the boots and sliders were NLA until I started. My RR was lightly pitted, just enough to be seized, but came unstuck fairly easily. Those two clean up with isolated pitting and most of the original surface remaining. On the LR, one was a disaster and one was pristine.

I made a sketch of the one pristine part while it was out, but I don't think I'll have time to whip up a model and a print until Tuesday.

On the plus side, hand brake travel is half of what it was before and brake pedal take up is MUCH improved.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

IMO, the sliders SHOULD have been polished 304 or some other 300 grade of stainless. It's easy to machine and will last forever without pitting from corrosion, and strength wouldn't be compromised. Considering the caliper around them is aluminum, I wouldn't expect the slider's to have been made with anything tougher than some crap grade steel, that is simply chrome plated for corrosion resistance.

This, exactly. The reason the sliders corrode and seize in the first place is that GM used cheap crappy steel in them. Since the maintenance mode is corrosion, the natural preventive is to use stainless. 304 as mentioned to last almost forever or 321 if you want to spend some money and have it last literally forever.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-04-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock