Possible bad intake? by silver 85 sc
Started on: 08-24-2015 10:33 AM
Replies: 9 (305 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 08-26-2015 08:48 PM
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the scoop. I have an '84 SE with a rebuilt motor, I have been going through about a gallon of coolant a month. So I started with the obvious. Old radiator, replaced, water pump, replaced, heater core, replaced, all lines have been inspected and are bone dry. There is no coolant in the oil, and I have a new radiator cap, expansion tank and hose. Then I thought it could be the head gasket, so that got replaced. No change, then I thought the intake gasket, no change. Then I started watching the exhaust very carefully. There are times that this thing will fog the neighborhood, with white smoke, but most of the time it appears normal, and there is no correlation between how full the coolant system is. I know the coolant goes into the intake, does it get up into the throttle body at all? I am convinced that there has to be a crack somewhere or if the coolant does heat up the throttle body the gasket could be bad. The car runs great gets great mileage, and has no miss. The RPMs are high when cold (2500) but when the engine is driven for 10-15 minutes the idle comes down and bounces between 700 and 1000.

Any thoughts, has anyone had this problem?

Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have your head checked when you replaced the gasket? Duke heads can crack.
Quick test: With the engine cold, run the car for a few seconds, shut the engine off, then remove the thermostat cap. If there is any pressure released, and/or any fluid (other than a few drops) comes out, you have a problem. If it's not the gasket, it has to be a cracked or warped head.
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Did you have your head checked when you replaced the gasket? Duke heads can crack.
Quick test: With the engine cold, run the car for a few seconds, shut the engine off, then remove the thermostat cap. If there is any pressure released, and/or any fluid (other than a few drops) comes out, you have a problem. If it's not the gasket, it has to be a cracked or warped head.

I did not have the head checked when I had it off. I did check to see if there was wobble when I had it all cleaned up and before I put the gasket in, and it seamed to sit flat. One thing I forgot to add, after I replaced the head gasket, and discovered I was still going through coolant I pressurized the system and noticed that there was coolant in the intake under the throttle body. That is what prompted me to replace the intake gasket.

Rich
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe your intake manifold is cracked or breached somehow. Are there any home-made mods on it that involve drilling?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Head gaskets go in dry. Sealers can cause big headaches.
Bolts torque spec is only for Clean Dry threads unless FSM said otherwise.

Use FEL-PRO MS90563. Is made to resist engine from sucking coolant into #4 cyl.
if that happens #4 plug will not look same as others.

if intake, gaskets, or head has failed look for plug(s) look different.
Normal plugs have a little carbon.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-24-2015).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UV coolant dye and a UV light.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a crack, most likely in the intake manifold or the head between the valves. It's also possible the block itself is cracked.

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The loop into the intake is to keep it from freezing in the winter. Bypass it for now while warm and see if the loss goes away.
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can coolant get from the head to the intake? When I had the head off it looked like cylinders 3 and 4 were getting the coolant. What bothers me is I could see the green below the throttle body. So I am leaning towards an issue with the intake. If there are no passages through the throttle body, then the throttle body gasket isn't the problem. I guess I will have to hunt down another intake and see if that cures the problem. Just a note on the rebuild it is so fresh you can still see the honing marks on the cylinder walls.

Rich
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose anything is possible but I don't beleive coolant to the intake from the head is, and I think you coolant would be gone in short order. There are 2 hard pipes that connect to each side of the throttle body that just may not be tight enough if you are finding coolant below it. Warm the car up shut it off with the I intake tube off and look around.

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:

Can coolant get from the head to the intake? When I had the head off it looked like cylinders 3 and 4 were getting the coolant. What bothers me is I could see the green below the throttle body. So I am leaning towards an issue with the intake. If there are no passages through the throttle body, then the throttle body gasket isn't the problem. I guess I will have to hunt down another intake and see if that cures the problem. Just a note on the rebuild it is so fresh you can still see the honing marks on the cylinder walls.

Rich

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 08-28-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock