Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Salvage yard score (& question about '84 sail panels)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Salvage yard score (& question about '84 sail panels) by Quad Raider
Started on: 08-20-2015 11:45 AM
Replies: 10 (584 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 08-23-2015 10:21 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to my annual company-paid physical yesterday. Since my company is based in OKC, it means driving 100 miles to OKC, but it provides an excuse to stop by the pull-a-part yard there. I checked ahead of time and knew that it had an '84 on the lot. I got the sail panels, the trunk popper and some other spares, all for $25.

This is the first time I've ever seen sail panels for an '84 up close. Much different than the ones on my '87. I was bummed when I saw damage to one of them, but then discovered that it's metal-backed so I should be able to fix it.

Just to make sure, these are exactly the same dimensions as my '87 sail panels, right? They just use different mounting clips, correct?

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 08-20-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren`t the 84s glass?
I have a set of 84s and I think they are glass.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The metal frames of the sail panels on the '84 SE I've owned since new corroded until the perimeters were twisted and warped. Black corrosion would run down when I washed the car.
I replaced the metal/plastic/glass '84 panels with the 100% plastic panels from an '87. Fit and fastening points were the same.
I removed the cracked outer glossy panel, cleaned the part up, spray painted it with trim paint & applied SE decals from the Fiero Store.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 08-20-2015).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, these panels are glass. I'm surprised at how much Pontiac changed them after the '84 model year. On the '84s the glass has a frame around it but no backing structure. I'll try to post some photos of my two sets tonight.

I paid 5 bucks apiece for these '84 panels, because when I was asking the cashier how much they'd cost I told her they weren't real windows and were plastic.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 08-23-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find a common problem with the '84 sail panels is that the black "paint" or whatever it is on the back of the glass becomes messed up where it sits on the round foam thing. I don't think anyone's ever found a way to fix 'em.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my 85 SE with 84 SE panels just because of the glass. My 85 started to spider in the plexi and it was not going to get any better even on a low mileage car.

I found a 84 set that were not damaged but needed cleaned and new emblems. They went on with no issues. I did have notice they are just a little smaller on the real leading edge and where the plastic ones contacted it marked the paint a little. I just took a rubber strip and made a small gasket for each side and no one ever notices.

If you plan to keep a car long term and you can find a good set of 84 panels I highly recommend them.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first difference I noticed between the two types is how much heavier the 84 panels are. I mean, they're MUCH heavier, obviously because of the glass. I also now understand how some of you folks can instantly spot the difference between the 84 and later panels at a glance.
In these photos the 84 panel is on the left.

I broke the shiny insert on one of my 87 panels while removing it from the frame. I sanded and painted the frame to check the look without the insert. I think it looks good that way, but not necessarily better than factory. I don't know which set I'll use but I have a lot of other work to do before needing to decide.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

The first difference I noticed between the two types is how much heavier the 84 panels are. I mean, they're MUCH heavier, obviously because of the glass. I also now understand how some of you folks can instantly spot the difference between the 84 and later panels at a glance.
In these photos the 84 panel is on the left.

I could spot a 84 in the yard from a distance because so many are in a pile of glass because people can't remove them with out breaking them so often. LOL!
I broke the shiny insert on one of my 87 panels while removing it from the frame. I sanded and painted the frame to check the look without the insert. I think it looks good that way, but not necessarily better than factory. I don't know which set I'll use but I have a lot of other work to do before needing to decide.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what the '87 sail panel without the glossy panel looks like on my '84:
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:
Just to make sure, these are exactly the same dimensions as my '87 sail panels, right? They just use different mounting clips, correct?

They are the same dimensions and by your picture, you got the necessary metal mounting clips that clip onto the upper body flange. Aside from being glass, the other difference is that the frame is cast onto the glass lens and as you pointed out, there's no backing behind the glass. Later years have a solid panel behind the lens as David's illustration shows. The lens is actually an insert that's double-side taped to the quarter window base.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Here's what the '87 sail panel without the glossy panel looks like on my '84:

I really like the look of that.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave