Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  9s Pontiac Fiero Turbo Is a Middle Finger to All the Fiero-Based Supercar Replicas (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
9s Pontiac Fiero Turbo Is a Middle Finger to All the Fiero-Based Supercar Replicas by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 08-16-2015 11:09 AM
Replies: 61 (2071 views)
Last post by: engine man on 08-24-2015 07:48 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks and sounds like $&it but yes is hell fast. Gotta admire that focus & determination.
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In terms of the supercar middle finger comment ill say one thing... i own and race a STOCK s2000 because its "faster" than my fiero is... the s2000 takes a backseat to the ferrari and lambos hands down so.... until you start road racing you cant see what the advantages of the fancy supercars are.

As far as my car goes. Thaks everyone for the support! I started down the 3800 path 10 years ago at the age of 18 with no experience or knowledge on cars except for what i have been able to absorb from juatimbart and a few friends here in town. Its come from at that time dreaming of owning a 14 second car to now racing and deiving a 9 second car to work and back... i owe alot to the people here that started the 3800 swapidea and helped me along the way.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must be nice to pull up next to a brand new Z06 and out run it in a old flat black Fiero.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Technically its shiny black :/
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we get to know what turbo you have yet? Couple of people have asked in 1/4 mile thread.

Congrats again, I know it's been a long battle. You doing it motivated me to order a replacement intercooler, and looking at heading to the track sept 11/12. Didn't realize at the time but the small leak I'd had since freezing it up a few years ago, had turned into a big leak. Was causing misfires, not cooling properly, and on my last track pass it actually stalled the car when I launched. Hopefully with a fully working intercooler I can finally crack that 9 second barrier and give you some company.

------------------
10.132 @ 131.69MPH - 1.42 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Best MPH 136.12

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Technically its shiny black :/

Question 1, Did you need to do anything with your headlight doors ? I've heard some say they start popping up over 100 mph.

Question 2, Obviously your setup works great, - no doubt about that. Was wondering why single exhaust ? With plumbing with the turbo, maybe duals wouldn't fit.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Do we get to know what turbo you have yet? Couple of people have asked in 1/4 mile thread.

Congrats again, I know it's been a long battle. You doing it motivated me to order a replacement intercooler, and looking at heading to the track sept 11/12. Didn't realize at the time but the small leak I'd had since freezing it up a few years ago, had turned into a big leak. Was causing misfires, not cooling properly, and on my last track pass it actually stalled the car when I launched. Hopefully with a fully working intercooler I can finally crack that 9 second barrier and give you some company.

Im sorry i am vague about the turbo... Its a custom built GT37 turbo.... T4 .83 exhaust housing with a GT37 wheel (unknown specs, i think its the 76mm wheel version). The compressor side is a fully machined GT37 cover with a GTX4294 compressor wheel. I am still working on dialing the compressor cover in for the 100mm exducer found on the GTX version of this wheel. I have a few more things to do and this turbo will really wake up.

Question 1, Did you need to do anything with your headlight doors ? I've heard some say they start popping up over 100 mph.

The giant air dam in the front is a huge upgrade. It turns all the air coming over the hood into downforce and very little makes it under the car.

as far as my exhaust goes, There is a single 3 inch dump off the turbo right out the back of the car. It also has 2 goofy rusted WG dumps.
AutoMarshal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have not stopped talking about that "9 second fiero". Congrats Scott!!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as my car goes. Thaks everyone for the support! I started down the 3800 path 10 years ago at the age of 18 with no experience or knowledge on cars except for what i have been able to absorb from juatimbart and a few friends here in town. Its come from at that time dreaming of owning a 14 second car to now racing and deiving a 9 second car to work and back... i owe alot to the people here that started the 3800 swapidea and helped me along the way.

Wow dude! Nicely done and well said! Congrats!
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

maybe in 1986, turbo buick bent 6's have been running in the 9's for over 2 decades, in much heavier cars I might add..

not knocking Dark or his Fiero.. but no one should be shocked that a turbo buick 6 is in the 9's..
now get it in the 8's..

The difference between a 9 second fiero and an 8 second one is huge. I would guess about 100 times the difference between a 15 second one and a 14 second one. I would be surprised if there is ever an 8 second Fiero unless it is a single purpose car built with way way more invested then dh.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As one f the early detractors of DarkHorizon, I must commend this man on his efforts. Who the faq am I to say anything bad about a guy that has been known to give advice to those in need?

Congrats on the epic time slip!
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

But please refrain from insulting the version many of us like.

Sorry, didn't realize my opinion would make another grown man so butt hurt.

Kevin
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

The difference between a 9 second fiero and an 8 second one is huge. I would guess about 100 times the difference between a 15 second one and a 14 second one. I would be surprised if there is ever an 8 second Fiero unless it is a single purpose car built with way way more invested then dh.

With a bit more attention to details (weight and some more turbo), some luck in the transmission... id say this car had some chance of doing 8s. There is arguably .5 seconds available today in an even harder launch that has been well proven in other fieros.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have had our issues on the past but I still have to say Congrats on the car. Rick B
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With a bit more attention to details (weight and some more turbo), some luck in the transmission... id say this car had some chance of doing 8s. There is arguably .5 seconds available today in an even harder launch that has been well proven in other fieros.

Well you are a lot more qualified than I am to post a credible opinion. I stand down. Even though 8 seconds sounds huge to me. If anyone can do it, it would be you.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Well you are a lot more qualified than I am to post a credible opinion. I stand down. Even though 8 seconds sounds huge to me. If anyone can do it, it would be you.

It wouldnt be easy but i potentially can try chasing it a bit next year. A big brake upgrade is next on the list which could show big gains at the tree. More horsepower will be availible soon as wellm
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Man! I just want a 12 second Fiero. Maybe someday I'll swap a 3800 into my Indy.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Well goody for you. Drive it much? Get you across the country? Make a 1000 mile trip without any problems?...

Kevin

I wouldn't try that with any of those big buck genuine super Ferraris either.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I wouldnt hesitate to drive any of my cars 1000 miles... only thing my fiero would need is a bit more exhaust parts and i would probably put a stock front bumper on because i have a few laying around. Its a street car first and a race car second but its a really hunky street car.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I don't see where anyone suggested they should.

Kevin
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The all time fastest 1/4 mile in a turbo 3800 Grand Prix is 8.65. The record is held by Zoomer from ZZ Performance. I believe that his engine is a race only twin turbo engine with massive intercoolers. It took many more hours, far more equipment and quite a bit more money to build than Scotts. Scott, the low budget man, has hit the nines with his home garage creation that probably cost 1/10 of what Zoomer's car cost. Its a remarkable achievement. Scott holds the 3800 Fiero record while Zoomer holds the all time 3800 record. One guy uses all the high technology equipment available to race while the other uses pure creativity, ingenuity and engineering skills to achieve the goal. It would not surprise me if Scott does hit the 8's but if 8.65 is the goal, that is setting the bar high. I cannot say that Scott won't hit it just that he is facing someone who did it with a nearly unlimited budget. Regardless my hat is off to Scott. He's done something that few of use will ever achieve.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hats off to DH he has done more with less just like the old HotRoders did he is not worried about how pretty it looks but he is laughing as he kicks your ass i bet keep it up DH

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-24-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock