Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  On my last oil change, I had to pay extra to get Dino Oil!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
On my last oil change, I had to pay extra to get Dino Oil! by Gall757
Started on: 08-13-2015 04:33 PM
Replies: 36 (736 views)
Last post by: Deabionni on 08-30-2015 10:34 AM
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, it has happened. Synthetic oil is cheaper than the old stuff. I thought the service tech was kidding, but he said they converted all the dispensers to synthetic or synthetic blends, and buy a 55 gal. drum of the old-timey stuff....an extra $5.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do you prefer old style petroleum oil to the superior synthetic oils? Synthetic oil provides better lubrication, offers better wear protection and doesn't break down at higher heat levels. Truly you must be joking.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless not physically possible, I recommend your own home oil changes.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Truly you must be joking.

Truly not. The car does not leak and runs beautifully....why change?..

(the answer now is...to save money!, so I probably will the next time )

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-13-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gall757

10938 posts
Member since Jun 2010

Originally posted by 2.5:

Unless not physically possible, I recommend your own home oil changes.

How do you properly dispose of used oil where you are? I hope you drive it to the oil-change place.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
How do you properly dispose of used oil where you are? I hope you drive it to the oil-change place.

We have several local places that use it for heating in the winter and they take it for free.
There is also a hazardous waste facility that takes it for "free". Though i'm sure our taxes pay for that. Thats where I drop the filters.
Since we have cats I have those big litter jugs, when empty they work great for used oil you can fill them right up.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is interesting....my situation is very different...

Originally posted by 2.5:

We have several local places that use it for heating in the winter and they take it for free.

Nobody burns oil around here.....or would admit it.

There is also a hazardous waste facility that takes it for "free". Though i'm sure our taxes pay for that. Thats where I drop the filters.

so you have to take a trip in your car also....(after crawling out from under it)

Since we have cats I have those big litter jugs, when empty they work great for used oil you can fill them right up.

no cats....no jugs....no stains in the driveway. It's true I pay $10 more than the cost of the oil, but crawling under a Fiero (at my age....69) is not like crawling under a F-150. I am happy to let the guy down in the hole in the floor do it and get his minimum wage. I save on laundry too. The oil change places have a good recycling system going, and your hazardous waste facility is probably part of it.....we can now even buy 'used' oil that is re-processed...and apparently pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-13-2015).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wal-Mart sell synthetic oil $24/a 5 quart container and dino oil for $15-17 /5 qt container. Your "Jiffy Lube" place is ripping you off.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Wal-Mart sell synthetic oil $24/a 5 quart container and dino oil for $15-17 /5 qt container. Your "Jiffy Lube" place is ripping you off.

This^

Kevin
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had a Clean burn oil furnace at work, they are EPA approved. And they burn any thing. Motor oil, gear lube, hyd oil, trans fluid, you name it they'll burn it.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Auto parts stores will take the oil. Most have a tank or three in the back for recycling automotive fluids.
Check you local AutoZone.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Auto parts stores will take the oil. Most have a tank or three in the back for recycling automotive fluids.

Yep. This is what I do.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Yep. This is what I do.

Autozone, Advance Auto and other stores take used motor oil and trans fluids. That's where I bring all my oil. When I lived in NYC years back people would dump their oil down into the sewer. I believe that they still do it that way in some NY neighborhoods. Certainly not recommended but I've seen it happen many times.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also heard that switching from what oil you been running for miles and miles may not be good. Anyone else hear this?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Autozone stores in Grand Rapids take used oil.

To answer comment about why use conventional oil? Because I have oil leaks in my garage with synthetic oil. I switched back to Castrol High Mileage oil which is a blend of syn and conventional oil and the leaks are gone!

And I might add, the wife is happy when the garage floor is clean.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-13-2015).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Autozone, Advance Auto and other stores take used motor oil and trans fluids. That's where I bring all my oil. When I lived in NYC years back people would dump their oil down into the sewer. I believe that they still do it that way in some NY neighborhoods. Certainly not recommended but I've seen it happen many times.

Back when I was a kid my dad used to pour it on weeds and burn them but that was the 70's. Now, he and I both take it to Autozone.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Castrol ended Synthetic oils are man made. Mobil 1 lost that fight.
Now Most Synthetic oils are "dino" based oil.

Pepboys, Walmart, and many others take used oil.
Some take used coolant too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no cats....no jugs....no stains in the driveway. It's true I pay $10 more than the cost of the oil, but crawling under a Fiero (at my age....69) is not like crawling under a F-150. I am happy to let the guy down in the hole in the floor do it and get his minimum wage. I save on laundry too. The oil change places have a good recycling system going, and your hazardous waste facility is probably part of it.....we can now even buy 'used' oil that is re-processed...and apparently pretty good.

I actually make a trip about once a year, I drive about 2 miles with a few cat litter jugs, and a 5 gal bucket of filters, no hassle.
You mentioned you are 69 and its hard to get under your car, thats what I meant by physically possible. I understand.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by solotwo:

I switched back to Castrol High Mileage oil which is a blend of syn and conventional oil and the leaks are gone!

I use this oil in most vehicles too.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
Back when I was a kid my dad used to pour it on weeds and burn them but that was the 70's. Now, he and I both take it to Autozone.

Yeah, I'd prefer to keep my water table clean too.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's true I pay $10 more than the cost of the oil, but crawling under a Fiero (at my age....69) is not like crawling under a F-150.

I understand the crawling under, I am a few years younger than you. But I still do it because the guy in the pit surely would not take the passenger rear wheel and splash shield off to get at the oil filter. LOL
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big difference to the older engines and dino oil is the Zinc (ZDDP) content. Flat tappet cams need it more than the newer roller engines.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Big difference to the older engines and dino oil is the Zinc (ZDDP) content. Flat tappet cams need it more than the newer roller engines.

Maybe I've just got a thing for Andy Granatelli , but I've used STP for the last 40 years. I've now switched over from the original blue bottle to the silver one on my Fieros.

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last oil change that I had a shop do, [dealer], was in the mid 90's. They cross threaded the drain plug. Only reason that I let them do it in the first place was because the van was there under warranty. I've done all of my own since then. Fill up the 5 gallon can and take it to the recycling center. They take antifreeze also.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crawling under a Fiero (at my age....69) is not like crawling under a F-150.

I change my oil at 68, also change whatever else is necessary, including the clutch, and am not planning to stop at 69. I also try to walk a couple of miles every day.

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually do my own oil changes on both my cars and use Motorcraft or Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend and sometimes a little bit of Lucas depending on what season it is (IMO I think full synthetics are a waste of money unless it is specifically called for in the owners manual). I usually swing by my old dealership and have one of my old buddies put it up on the lift and hang out with him while "he" does it. I wish I had a lift to do more in depth repairs though... Sneaking into my old shop for a ten minute oil change vs replacing the starter is a different story! :P

When I am in a rush and have no time however, I have used the 10 minute oil change place by me that has a pit; I WILL NOT let anyone else besides myself jack up my Fiero. I just keep an eye on them... They tried to top off the radiator from the front one time... Ugh!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 08-20-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why do you prefer old style petroleum oil to the superior synthetic oils? Synthetic oil provides better lubrication, offers better wear protection and doesn't break down at higher heat levels. Truly you must be joking.

because synthetic oil you get on most shelves don't work with the zinc,etc that older engines need.. the detergent package cleans off the zinc as fast as it gets deposited on the parts..
so how is that superior??
I guess if you lick blued rocker balls and pushrod ends, flatning the lifter face, then yes yes use it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Last oil change that I had a shop do, [dealer], was in the mid 90's. They cross threaded the drain plug. Only reason that I let them do it in the first place was because the van was there under warranty. I've done all of my own since then.

Screw-ups is another reason I do my own.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I guess if you lick blued rocker balls and pushrod ends, flatning the lifter face, then yes yes use it.

Strangest sentence on the forum this year......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Strangest sentence on the forum this year......

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Last oil change that I had a shop do, [dealer], was in the mid 90's. They cross threaded the drain plug. Only reason that I let them do it in the first place was because the van was there under warranty. I've done all of my own since then. Fill up the 5 gallon can and take it to the recycling center. They take antifreeze also.

I had a similar experience at a local place too. I had installed a ball valve to replace the plug on my Chevy Impala. A really nice one with a detent that held the valve closed. They changed the oil and after that it kept leaking slightly. I finally took it in to another place and they found that he had replaced my good ball valve with some crazy kind of spring loaded thing that leaked like a sieve. I was really pissed about that. But, I doubted I could have found the kid who changed my oil. I will never go back there again and tell everyone about my experience too. I hate thieves that disguise themselves as businesses.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason, Ive always heard, and found out firsthand, that swapping to synthetic oil AFTER using dino oil for its whole life before, CAN cause worn seals to leak that werent leaking with the dino oil. I say, and been told its the solvents in some synthetics that disolve the little bit of sludge thats keeping the seals from leaking. Ive heard and seen that Mobil One is the worst offender. Its GREAT oil, especially if its been used since new. Ive had cars myself, and friends cars start sprouting big leaks within weeks that didnt leak before the change if they have some miles on them, like 75K-100K. My rule is if I buy a car with over 50-75K on it, I keep using dino, or blends...not synthetic. Ive had great luck with good engines using Castrol Full Sentec. A few of my own even stopped having problems after switching. Things like no more fouled plugs, no leaks, even run cooler with higher oil pressure. I had at least 2 of my own cars see a 10-15 pnd boost in hot oil pressure immediately after switching to Castrol syn (same viscosity). A friend has a perfect low mile, no leaks,all original 61 Corvette. He got a new C5 and switched to Mobile one in the older one. Within a few weeks it was leaving puddles under everything. It was so bad, he pulled the motor and had it all resealed. It didnt need any work internally, so he just took it all apart, replaced all seals and gaskets and put it back together. Hes had no more problems for 3-4 years now.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

because synthetic oil you get on most shelves don't work with the zinc,etc that older engines need.. the detergent package cleans off the zinc as fast as it gets deposited on the parts..
so how is that superior??

I suggest that you read all of the comparison tests online. Very old 50-70's engines liked the zinc additive but those old oils were also loaded with parafins. Those engines also used leaded gas which is super toxic.
Synthetic oil works great on 80's engines offering better lubricity, far improved cold weather performance, superior anti-wear properties and longer engine life. A friend went 269K miles on synthetic oil and only had to junk the car because the body rusted away. Most people do not realize is that both synthetic and std oil are both petroleum based products. They are just made by a different process and end up with different properties. Only Amsoil and Royal Purple are laboratory produced pure synthetic oils.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only Amsoil and Royal Purple are laboratory produced pure synthetic oils. Good info!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use this:

Brand:Edelbrock
Manufacturer's Part Number: 1073
Part Type:Motor Oil
Product Line:Edelbrock High Performance Zinc Enhanced Formula Oil
Summit Racing Part Number:EDL-1073
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally also never break in a new engine on synthetic. I use dino oil for the first few oil changes. In my plane engine, I use aircraft mineral oil.

I had a Mopar buddy put Mobile One in his new rebuilt V8 (1969) and without the zinc, the cam lobes were wiped in a few hundred miles. He had to replace the cam and lifters.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Only Amsoil and Royal Purple are laboratory produced pure synthetic oils.

That's not entirely accurate.

While most off the shelf "synthetic" oils are indeed Group III (Hydrocracked dino oil) based, there are others that are "true" synthetics as they are Group IV (PAO) and Group V (Ester) based oil.

All Amsoil and Royal Purple oils are "true" synthetics as they are Group IV (PAO) based. That said, Castrol 0W-30 (aka German Castrol), and Mobil One 0W-40 are also Group IV based. Those two oils are easily identified as "European Formula" on the front, and also has "Made in Germany" on the back label. Those are the only two oils out of Castrol's and Mobil One's lineup that are Group IV based. All other oils in their lineup are Group III (Hydrocracked dino oil) based.

The only Group V based synthetic oil that I know of for automobile applications, is Red Line. (Group V oils are Ester based, and are mostly used in jet engine applications).

[This message has been edited by Deabionni (edited 08-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock