Hooking up the 82 corvette tail lights need your help Please by Randy F
Started on: 08-08-2015 08:31 PM
Replies: 11 (456 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-11-2015 03:50 PM
Randy F

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a PISA tail light panel and bought 82 Corvette tail lights with back up need to wire. Back up lights not a problem working good But the tail turn and stop I need your help Please.
Thanks in Advance,
Randy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing the same although on a Doug panel. I would like some pointers on it too although I can tell you what I did that will work as a temporary solution for me.

First of all I have two extra wires in my setup. I wired an LED ring inside my housing that I'm using as my running lights. I'm going to label everything real quick so you know what I'm talking about later. On the brake light there are three wires. One outside one is Light Blue, the center is Brown, the other outside is Black. Brown, is running, Light Blue is brake, Black is ground. On the turn there are two wires, Green and Black. Black is again ground Green is turn. Sometimes there are two Greens, the one is the main, the other goes to the second set of lights. You just need the main. That is on the right side of the car, the left uses a Green brake and Yellow blinker.

On my setup I cut all the wires on the outside set of lights, minus the black ground and then wired them like so. I cut the inners too, but just sealed them up since they aren't being used. Positive LED to car-side Brown. Negative LED to car-side blinker Black. Yellow car-side to bulb-side Green. Green car-side to bulb-side Brown.
What ends up happening is that turning on the blinker runs what used to be the brake on the bulb at full brightness using both filaments. The brakes run what used to be the running light at half brightness with only the one filament. This works for me since the outer ring is light up as running lights and the center is dark. The center lights up when I press the brake and if the blinker is used it overpowers the brake on that side with both filaments being used and lights up and blinks. This was the only way I could get everything to work correctly. If you do full power brakes then they don't allow the light to blink when the brakes are applied although if the brakes are not applied the blinker works fine. I have a set of corvette pig tails coming in the mail early this week. I'll look at how there are different and let you know how they do it. I also need to finish putting the panel in, once I do that I'll post a video of how it looks all put together.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One wire is ground (should be several of those). Second wire is both (all) running lights. Back up light is + from reverse switch for one and a ground. The turn and brake light are on ONE wire, and the one needed is set from the turn signal switch internally. On my Ferrari kit, similar to Corvette, I only used the turn/brake wire for the turn signal and ran a new brake light wire from the brake light switch (on the brake pedal assby). That all gave me red tail lights for running, the amber turn signal, and the red brake light (combined with tail lights). My amber turn light ONLY worked as turn signal and didnt work with the brake lights this way. Ive seen some just wire the amber and red both with signals and brakes, but thats incorrect ... may even be illegal in your state. Ohio said no amber lights with braking.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger, if I understand you correctly, you are running one all red light and then one clear lens with an amber bulb in it per side?
Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No The outside is all red and the inside one is clear in the center these are factory 75 to 79 corvette tailights the inside one is for back up only the outside one pigtail is only 3 wires Black Yellow and Brown Ground turn and tail the Fiero wiring the stop is Blue and is not running through the turn or tail If you run it through the yellow turn then both L and R blinkers are on, if you run it through the brown or running lights then the third brake lite is on when running lights are on If I can figure this out I will just run the stop lite through the back up and run a red bulb but then no back up lite. Had to install HD flasher so the turns would work all is working but dont want the 3 brak lite on when lights are on. Hope I explaned myself. Any help ?????
Thanks,
Randy
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't worried about having a backup light you could always run an amber bulb in the backup housing and have it for a turn and the outside housings as the running/stop lights.
Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Im at that point either run stop through it or turn good ideal Thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt put back up lites on my kits. I consider them pretty much worthless myself. About all they can do is light up the garage door if its closed at nite. The only real good they are is for idiots behind you to tell your backing up when they cant see your car is backing up... They were factory options till the late 60s. I had plenty of cars over the years that never had back up lights.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-10-2015).]

Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PISA sent this to me this morning and it fixs all issues with the light hook up
Thanks for all your guys
Randy

If you want to run all three on 2 function lamps, you will need a trailer box. Below is a link to one - many types out there.

http://www.autozone.com/tra...onverter/143546_0_0/
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im confused. All cars that have tail, turn and brake lites in one tail light have 3 wires. One is tail, one is combination turn and brake, 3rd is ground....I never seen it any other way. Old cars used to have only 2 wires, tail, and combination turn / brake. Ground was the socket in the metal body.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-11-2015).]

Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the time that is true But GM did it different why dont ask me stupid. That said The brake lite is run on a single blue wire and if you try to put it with tail lights your third ligt is on when you turn them on and if you put it with turn than both sides flash at the same time I know because I have tried everthing.If you have a repair manuel and look at the wire diagram you will see that the blue brake wire is all by it self on the GT fastbacks mine is a 86 and that wire over rides everything else. I hope I explained this .
Thanks,
Randy
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK...never seen that. On both of my kits I rewired, they were coupes so the wiring must be different. I didnt mess with any body mods on the V8 car that was a GT.

See on most cars, the same filiment in the bulb (usually 1157) is used for the brake and turn signal because its the brightest. So essentially when you turn on the turn signal it flashes the 'brake' light on that side. That is done internally inside the turn signal switch by the contacts positions.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-11-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock