will they rub? by pHoOl
Started on: 08-08-2015 11:05 AM
Replies: 16 (441 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-27-2015 12:22 PM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the answer is that all will be fine but wanted to check. Someone on Craigslist has some tsw thruxton wheels. They are 18x8. I asked about offset and he couldn't see anything listed on the back of the wheels. I believe the stock 15 great wheels are 7.5 inches wide, right?

Would these fit without rubbing? He's got 225 40 r 18 tires on them currently. Like I said, I think I'd be alright just wanted to check with someone smarter than myself
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
stock 'lace' wheels were 7". You really need to know the offset to get your answer. Many 8" wheels will fit. You will need an offset of 40 to 45mm.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-08-2015).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way the will fit will really depends on the offset. Since they aren't marked with the offset on the wheel, ask him to measure the backspacing for you and you should be able to figure out the offset from that.

Backspace is measured like this, ruler from the back of the surface that mounts to the hub to a straight edge that's laid across the barrel of the wheel.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so he did some measuring, it's a 38mm offset.

So will that work, or do I need them to be 40mm+
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's too close to call. It will depend on the size of the wheel lip and the shape of the tire. It may scrub the inside of the fender.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that exact size wheel and tire on my 87, it wasn't even close to rubbing....
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, one maybe and one yes. I shouldn't need longer bolts or anything would i?

[This message has been edited by pHoOl (edited 08-10-2015).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should add if your car has be lowered or not ?
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope it hasnt, stock ride height, kybs, fiero.nl store front and rear anti sway bars. Stock brakes
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say you are OK on the rear, but the fronts will be borderline, possible rub outer tire edge to fender liner/fender lip zone 12 o'clock high on hard braking, or cornering.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-10-2015).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. Ok maybe I'll pass on this set and keep my eyes open. Cornering is the big draw for wider tires and low profiles.
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 40's on mine for a very, very short time, I hated them, you felt every little defect in the road constantly. I like a very firm ride, but there were torture. I pulled them off and went with 45's, for autocross or track just bump the psi up a couple pounds. Also it's the tire compound that gives you traction, not so much the width. The short sidewall of the 40's also bothered me for Michigan roads, you can take a wheel out fairly easy with our chuck holes.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-10-2015).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Hmm. Ok maybe I'll pass on this set and keep my eyes open. Cornering is the big draw for wider tires and low profiles.

Like I said above, these wheels will not rub! Unless your car is an 88 then I'm not sure. I had the same size wheels with the same size tires on my 87 before and after I lowered it. They didn't rub at all, not ever, not even a little. Having your studs extended depends on the thickness of the new wheel but should be fine if spacers aren't being used.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good point Cali Kid, our potholes might demand 45 series just to keep from bending rims. Ok, maybe I'll keep my eye out for some 17s then, so that the wheel size doesn't get too far off. Mine's not a daily driver, but it also seems that with kids now basically the only free time to drive it is to work. And there's a lot of construction going on.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I passed on the 18s and found some 17s. 40mm offset, he's got 215 50s on them now. I'd change to 225 45 when I wear through them. I emailed him about width, he's gonna check. He thinks they're 7.5.

All sound good?
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the wheels on and its back on the ground. Fronts seemed fine on clearance. Rears have about 3/4 of a pinky width between the tire and the suspension.

How close is too close?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so they clear is enough, you dont need much wiggle room. I had 8" rims on one of mine and the inside of the tire was maybe 1/8" from the suspension and it never touched. Like mentioned though, it also depends on how the tire sidewall bulges. You want the tread width to match the rim width, no wider or narrower.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-27-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock