Spherical bushings by painandgain99
Started on: 07-28-2015 10:49 PM
Replies: 5 (295 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 07-30-2015 06:48 PM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, second post here. Will be getting my formula soon and have been searching for some particular parts my grandpa had on his fiero back when he had one in the 80s. He put 1 1/4 inch sway bars on with spherical "aircraft" bushings and said it made all the difference in the world. He said the kit (or one or the other) were from a guy from hollywood that made them who did suspension on all the stunt cars, can anyone point me in the direction of where i can find these parts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman sells zero lash end links that are made with in-line spherical rod ends.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=45&products_id=98

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The suspension you're talking about was the Herb Adams Fiero suspension kit.

It was only available for a few years & not many bought them.

In '88 I put that suspension on my 1st 328 replica.

It was all steel on steel & you are 100% correct, it made a world of difference.

It was a stiff ride but handled great.

Archie

Originally posted by painandgain99:

Hey all, second post here. Will be getting my formula soon and have been searching for some particular parts my grandpa had on his fiero back when he had one in the 80s. He put 1 1/4 inch sway bars on with spherical "aircraft" bushings and said it made all the difference in the world. He said the kit (or one or the other) were from a guy from hollywood that made them who did suspension on all the stunt cars, can anyone point me in the direction of where i can find these parts?

painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

The suspension you're talking about was the Herb Adams Fiero suspension kit.

It was only available for a few years & not many bought them.

In '88 I put that suspension on my 1st 328 replica.

It was all steel on steel & you are 100% correct, it made a world of difference.

It was a stiff ride but handled great.

Archie

Thank you so much! My grandpa said thats what it was. Is there any chance of finding a kit or anything like it today?
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

or anything like it today?

Yea. Buy an Addco swaybar from FieroStore.com or elswehere and use Rodney's zero-lash end links.

...or contact R Runner and order his Hosler High Performance sway bars. They're pretty spendy and they don't include spherical end links, but they're very adjustable and well-built.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Herb Adams kit and the front has the solid links and the rear had rubber bushings.

Note the front bar was made different than any stock bar and had vertical holes to facilitate a solid link.

Now you can go to a solid line on a stock bar but it would take some fabrication. As for the Addco I am not sure how the ends of the bar are.

The Herb Adams bar was made much like bars on race cars are as it would never work with a conventional pin like bushing set.

The Heim Joints as they are called are easy to find and use but the bar unless made for them will need to see some work as well as the control arm where it mounts. Many places that sell real racing parts will have these parts to adapt. They come in many sizes and you just need to work out what size you want to use. Summit Racing, Pegasus Auto Racing Supply, Howe Racing or Port City Racing should offer the parts to adapt the joints to the bar and car.

You will need the part between the hole in the bar and joint hole and the Joint hole and the control arm.

Also please note you need to have the car under weight when you mount the bar. You do not want to preload the links while it is sitting on level ground. If needed find something safe to put under the tires or control arms to leave the load of the car on the springs. Preload can make for some funky handling. It may have more load one direction than the other if you do it wrong and will handle better one direction than the other.

The original kits were one of the best available as it was developed for show room stock and also included solid control arm bushing to eliminate the bump steer. It was not cheap back in the day and few people bought them. I have only seen a couple. I bought mine new in 1986 and I bought some spare parts but I have not seen anything for sale for years. The rear bar is 1 1/4 and the front was 1 inch for a very neutral car. It handles much like an 88 but with only heavier steering as the geometry that lightens that up is all 1988 and not much you can do to lighten the early cars steering weight up other than take the damper off but then you get some kick back in the wheel.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock