Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Looking for Parts, Body Kits and Options for an 88 NON-GT! Help please!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking for Parts, Body Kits and Options for an 88 NON-GT! Help please! by Drachenblut
Started on: 07-18-2015 10:23 PM
Replies: 7 (408 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-22-2015 11:41 AM
Drachenblut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrachenblutSend a Private Message to DrachenblutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I happened to do some searching and I found that it would seem most, if not all body kits fit the GT model Fieros... now will they fit my standard "Notchback", or not? I don't want to order a multi thousand dollar order just to have to return it...

Also, I am looking for a parts source, and someone who knows how to work on Fieros/do an engine swap, here in Canada. Specifically British Columbia. I have a 1988 Notchback, 2.5L 4 banger, standard 5 speed, Fiero with 136,000KM (about 70,000 miles) on body and original engine. I was hoping for some help here with some issues I have been having. They are listed below:

1. The temperature gauge works rarely... mostly it jumps from below 40 to over redline and back, but the engine runs fine and holds steady, rad fluid is clean and does not deplete. What could be causing this? Bad temperature probe/connector/wire?

2. The tachometer seems to be reading over 1000 Rpm too high. When it is idling, (and I have heard many larger I4's idle), it sounds around 750 RPM, but the tach says 1500? I'd like to adjust or fix this, what is involved?

3. The lights have been un-hooked, as in unplugged from power. Why would someone do this? I have not plugged them in yet.

4. The oil filter plug nut is completely stripped off, I cannot get the oil drain out.

5. The engine seems to be mildly "hunting" for idle, it jumps around about 500 rpm at rest sometimes. It is also becoming harder to start (takes longer to crank over before it "catches" and starts, in +70 deg F weather?

Thanks for any help, I am new to this car and my dream is three fold, as I am a recent College graduate - 1. To fix the engine and car to a good spec, run it for a couple years, while saving up for an engine swap and new body kit (looking for a body kit similar to this: http://www.carbodykitstore....l?cPath=91_3578_7172

What would the easiest swap be for the most torque/quickly availiable power in the low RPM range (not looking for high horsepower screamer!) on a reasonable budget? I have read about 4.9 Cadillac, 3.4L Camaro/Firebird and 3800 Supercharged engines but each seems equally difficult. Note I will not be able to do the work myself, a shop will need to do all required mods, fabbing and swap work as I live in an apartment. I have good shops and machinists all around me so that isn't an issue. What would YOU recommend? I want a quick, light-to-light car that's good for fun drives with maybe a trip to the track once a year.

Sincerely,
Drachenblut
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness.
For the oil pan nut, use a pipe wrench or if that does not work, use weld a good nut onto the old one.

However I have to say this. IF you own a Fiero you really need to be able to work on it yourself as using shops is going to get expensive real fast!
I know that may not be an option right now, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Drachenblut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrachenblutSend a Private Message to DrachenblutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Itlfrari,

As for maintenance, and simple things like oil, fluids etc that only require some basic tools, I can do, as I have semi-truck weight graded ramps, car jacks and socket sets at my disposal. More advanced things, such as engine swaps, I will need the assistance of a trained professional (also, the insurance that if something goes terribly wrong, I have SOME recourse as to recouping expense and/or ensuring function.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Fiero world--you can find so much help here on the forum. All Fiero chasis (the frame) are the same--the body kit you want to put on is specific to the 84 body style--you have an 88. A formula look would be easier for you (and cheaper).
-- your temp gauge--replace the sender--I had same issue--the sender was the culprit
--high idle--vacuum leak probably. check your timing too--DONT try to adjust the idle with the throttle body adjustment
--the lights (which ones?)--plug them in---don't know why they would be unhooked.....
--oil filter plug--(my other fieros have the filter on the engine--yours is up front--haven't worked on that one yet
--hunting for idle--vacuum leak or timing--do you have and check engine codes? or check engine light?

Hope this helps

------------------
Pat Jones

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drachenblut:
Thanks for any help, I am new to this car and my dream is three fold, as I am a recent College graduate - 1. To fix the engine and car to a good spec, run it for a couple years, while saving up for an engine swap and new body kit (looking for a body kit similar to this: http://www.carbodykitstore....l?cPath=91_3578_7172

Stay away from body kits. There's no such thing as a bolt-on body kit. Especially the ones from VFiber will require a lot of work to fit right, and even then will probably still be off, due to the materials they are made from. You can find threads all over the Internet about poor fitment of VFiber bumpers. If you really want a custom body kit on your car, find a professional shop that does high quality work, and have them make one out of high quality materials.

Those kits do not require a fastback to use. The chassis underneath is the same, and Fiero body panels are interchangeable between different trim levels, though in some cases you will end up with mismatched portions of molding or aero ground effects.

In 2-3 years, what you want to do with the car will change as well. So don't get hooked up on trying to save for a specific engine or body kit right now. Just save your money and then decide what you want to do, later on when you have it. What I wanted to do with my cars 15-20 years ago when I was in school, is very different from what I'm doing with them now, for example. Maybe it'll take more than a couple years, but your goals and ideals will change over time. Life is going to happen whether you want it to or not, too. If you get a job and have to move across the country, get married, have babies, whatever, it will all effect how much you can save, and what you do with your cars.

Drachenblut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrachenblutSend a Private Message to DrachenblutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help and advice fellows!

Alright, a couple pursuant questions then... Vaccuum leaks... how do I track them/it down, and how can I fix it? I will replace the sender for the temp gauge. I will get the timing checked. The lights are the front flip up headlights. I do not have engine codes, the check engine light does not show. I admit, sheepishly, I do not know how to check the engine codes yet.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. Forget about the cheap body kits, too much work to make look right. Try Jimmy at http://fierofiberglass.com/ , or Rob (aka Amida) //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000091-55.html

Good luck with your car. Be sure to document it here...

Bob

------------------

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/076365-5.html

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... I have a 1988 Notchback, 2.5L 4 banger, standard 5 speed, Fiero with 136,000KM (about 70,000 miles) on body and original engine.

88 Duke engine have DIS ignition controlled by the ECM. I don't think you can change the timing.

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

--the lights (which ones?)--plug them in---don't know why they would be unhooked.....

All I can think of is the PO disconnected them because they weren't shutting off, or draining the battery.

I do not have engine codes, the check engine light does not show. I admit, sheepishly, I do not know how to check the engine codes yet.

Get yourself a paperclip and see here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000040.html

Fiero service info you may find useful:
http://calgaryfieros.com/osg.html
http://fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-22-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic