Cashiers check scam? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 07-05-2015 09:33 PM
Replies: 19 (641 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-17-2015 08:32 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just contacted by a buyer for my 86 GT. It has all the earmarks of a scam. He hasn't seen the car in person but he will pay full price. He can't come to see the car as he is moving to Chicago. He will send a cashiers check for the full amount plus the shipping cost. I don't have to ship the car until I have cashed the check and have the cash in hand. Sounds too good to be true.

In the past a cashiers check has always been a safe bet. Is it possible to scam a cashiers check after it has been cashed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cashiers checks are no safer today than a personal check. Even weeks after you cash it if the check winds up being forged or bad you will be responsible for it. That's the scam part. You have the cash in hand and release the car only to lose the money (and the car) when the check winds up being bad, stolen or forged, etc.

You could have him send the check, but don't cash it. You can call the bank it's drawn on to see if it is valid. If it all checks out (no pun intended) then cash it, but hold the car for at least a month.....maybe up to 6 weeks. Don't spend any of the money either....just in case you have to give it back.

If it were me I would pass.....it's not worth the hassle.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a total scam. Best not to get involved with any part of it. Nobody pays full price plus shipping for a car sight-unseen.....ever....never.....ever. You have better odds winning millions in the Nigerian lottery.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would probably need to put the check into your account, and when the fake check bounces, you're out the money. I'm not sure how they profit from that unless they send you too much money and you have to give them a refund. Say, the sale and shipping is $5000, they send you a check that's mistakenly made out for $7000. You cash the check, send them the overpayment of $2000. Then by the time the bad check clears and bounces back at you, they've got your money and gone and the bank wants their $7000 back from you.

Today's copy machines are so good they can counterfeit almost anything. Cash in hand only, and I'd do it at a bank if you don't have a marker pen to check for counterfeit bills. If you do, make the transaction at a police station.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well thankfully it's a moot point. I posted the ad on Craigslist at about 4pm yesterday. Washed it all up this morning and just accepted a $200 cash deposit from a local buyer to hold the car until the bank opens tomorrow for the balance. They saw it, they drove it, they loved it. Parents are buying the car for their son's first car. Nice folks.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I knew it was just too good to be true.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 07-05-2015).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lucky kid
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really is a sweet little car. I put a lot of effort into fixing her up. Nothing like a restoration. It was already in pretty good shape, but I like to think I did my part to get everything working and running right for a new owner. I'll be sad to see her go.

I'
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking car! Nice job....lucky kid! (...and very wise to have avoided that scam)
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did not mention Craig's list in the first post (that I saw). Anything with Craig's list that seems fishy or untruthful, is.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 07-06-2015).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

You did not mention Craig's list in the first post (that I saw). Anything with Craig's list that seems fishy or untruthful, is.

Sorry, yes it was on craigslist. I use it now and then, both buying and selling. Never had a problem until I posted this big ticket item.

So far I've received two scammer texts, a scammer email, a call from the buyer (just smogged it so completing the deal tonight) and another caller hoping the first buyer flakes out.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes yes beware of cashier checks. A story I heard. Contractor gets price from supply house for some equipment. xxx dollars. Goes to bank and pulls out xxx in the form of a cashiers check. From there he goes back to supply house and buys said equipment.

Immediately after leaving supply house "with equipment" he calls the bank and tells them he just lost the check. Bank puts stop payment on check. He now has the goods and his money and quietly leaves town.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

I was just contacted by a buyer for my 86 GT. It has all the earmarks of a scam. He hasn't seen the car in person but he will pay full price. He can't come to see the car as he is moving to Chicago. He will send a cashiers check for the full amount plus the shipping cost. I don't have to ship the car until I have cashed the check and have the cash in hand. Sounds too good to be true.

That scam has been going on for years. I had great fun (and posted about it) where I strung one of these lowlifes along for days. It's a total bogus BS scam. For the life of me I can't believe that anyone falls for it.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have the buyer's bank do a Wire Transfer directly to your account instead of sending you a Cashier's Check.

That's what I had to do recently when providing closing costs paid to the closing lawyer when purchasing a house.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow - FOR SALE! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070673.html
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone' - now enjoyed by my older brother in memory of Dad

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry to hear you guys are selling your car! Any chance you might get another one?

JC
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gldkarma:

Sorry to hear you guys are selling your car! Any chance you might get another one?

JC

Hey JC. No worries. Still have the 88 GT!

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

Parents are buying the car for their son's first car. Nice folks.

They may have second thoughts when they buy the kid's car insurance.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had some one send me a fake check for more money than what i was asking for what i was selling so i took it to the bank and told them i thought was fake when they ran it through there check reader it would not read due to the lack of magnetic ink used on real checks but the check looked real so if they want your car make them pay with paypal and charge them the 3 precent

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 07-16-2015).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Have the buyer's bank do a Wire Transfer directly to your account

Never do this unless you have a very secure relationship with the person you are dealing with.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Hey JC. No worries. Still have the 88 GT!"

Oh, good! Thanks for putting another nice car back on the road and hopefully the new owner will really enjoy and take care of it! He's probably not interested in getting together with us oldie moldies, but I know you will let him know about the club and the Forum. Also wish you guys were closer and could join us at the picnic on Sunday in Cupertino! Hope to see you soon!

JC
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a repost of something I have told others in OT when they ask this kind of question, Cash is King, you know that green stuff with dead presidents on it.

We have been given bad checks, checks from closed bank accounts years old, stolen money orders and even a check from a frozen bank account, that one took 3 months to find out it was no good, talk about messing with my wife's Kennel account.

So ya sell local and cash only when selling anything like a car.

or you can follow them to the bank and they can take out the cash right there and then. Much safer and you have them on camera just in case there is something fishy with the checks or anything else.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock