Why so few build ups in the Build page? by Inferno
Started on: 06-30-2015 04:27 PM
Replies: 16 (358 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 07-01-2015 12:07 PM
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can not tell me that there are so few build ups that there are only 6 available? Really whats the deal there? Same with the other pages; Write ups and other.

These seem like dead pages.

I think the problem stems from that auto archiving. I know I turned that feature off at the very beginning when I was building forum websites for people cause archiving just causes issues.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed that forum activity has died down drastically. It is pretty sad, there use to be a full page of updated threads every time I would check this site, which was numerous times a day. Now it seems like I can go days without checking and not miss anything at all. I blame facebook for stealing a lot of the activity. I know I am guilty of it too occasionally. It is much easier to post a few pictures from my mobile phone onto facebook with a little caption than it is to upload the pics to photobucket and write something up to post here. I would hate to see this forum die off, it is such a valuable resource, really all of the knowledge in this one place is priceless.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What build page are you talking about exactly? A link would be helpful. There are plenty of build threads on the forum.

EDIT: I see you're talking about https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...in=&Section=TCZ_BGEN

This is a sub-section of the The Construction Zone forum. I think the moderator (aka Cliff) has to select which sub-section to place things in, when moving them over to that forum. The Construction Zone does not get new threads in it. Only threads for builds or mods that have been completed, or are pretty near completion, tend to get moved into that forum.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-30-2015).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forum has been slow for a long time. Even the trash can is empty.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Forum has been slow for a long time. Even the trash can is empty.

Totally O/T is the new Trash Can.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

I blame facebook for stealing a lot of the activity. I know I am guilty of it too occasionally. It is much easier to post a few pictures from my mobile phone onto facebook with a little caption than it is to upload the pics to photobucket and write something up to post here. I would hate to see this forum die off...

IMO, Facebook sucks when it comes to any kind of organized forum and/or retrieval of info or images.

Sorry, but if people can't spend the extra few minutes to post here at PFF, then I don't want to hear these same people crying the blues that traffic here has subsided.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Totally O/T is the new Trash Can.

What's with the total disdain for T O/T? If it's not your thing then don't go there.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

What's with the total disdain for T O/T? If it's not your thing then don't go there.

I don't. Same as I don't go into the trash can.

My (and others') disdain for it, is based on the fact that Cliff does not moderate much any more, and so much of that forum is now just a bunch of hate threads with people arguing back and forth and passing out ratings for no reason other than agreeing/disagreeing with people. And then so much of that nonsense spills out into the other forums that are actually about Fieros, which leads to people rage-quitting and seemingly unable to have decent technical discussions.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My comment on the Trash Can is not because I go there nor like it. Just that before there was so much action and discussion that many times things got ugly on the Fiero side and many ended up there. I would need to be out of a job and bored to death to waste time going in the Totally O/T of any internet forum.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

My comment on the Trash Can is not because I go there nor like it. Just that before there was so much action and discussion that many times things got ugly on the Fiero side and many ended up there. I would need to be out of a job and bored to death to waste time going in the Totally O/T of any internet forum.

What about when you're bored and at the job?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see 4 pages of build threads. Gotta set the options to "all available subsections" to see them all.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Gotta set the options to "all available subsections" to see them all.

As well as having "Show all topics" selected, as opposed to "Show topics from the last 2 days" or 5 days etc.

The OP blaming "auto archiving" was... incorrect.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
The OP blaming "auto archiving" was... incorrect.

Especially since The Construction Zone doesn't get archived. The threads there are always live, no bumps required.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well here are the facts as I see them. I click on "Builds General" in the Construction zone. I see ONLY 6 threads. It says show all topics in a drop down menu.

That is what anyone is seeing. Especially anyone that maybe new to the site.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

I click on "Builds General" in the Construction zone. I see ONLY 6 threads. It says show all topics in a drop down menu.

Well then, don't limit your options by clicking on "Builds General" if you want to see more threads!

Leave it on the default setting... which is "All available subsections".

Originally posted by Inferno:

I see ONLY 6 threads... That is what anyone is seeing.

That is simply not true. I go to the Construction Zone and I see 4 pages of build threads. So do others apparently.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-01-2015).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

IMO, Facebook sucks when it comes to any kind of organized forum and/or retrieval of info or images.

Sorry, but if people can't spend the extra few minutes to post here at PFF, then I don't want to hear these same people crying the blues that traffic here has subsided.

Agree totally. I'd hate to think how much knowledge has been lost from forums that have been eroded entirely by Facebook groups. I shut my own forum down for a local club I run due to disuse, the number of tech articles that disappeared in the process is staggering. I grabbed one last archive and goodnight to it. It's really disappointing but there's no point paying the bills for nobody to use the service.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Agree totally. I'd hate to think how much knowledge has been lost from forums that have been eroded entirely by Facebook groups. I shut my own forum down for a local club I run due to disuse, the number of tech articles that disappeared in the process is staggering.

One of my favorite forums just shut down this week after many months of trying to woo people back from Facebook. Wish I'd known; there were some good articles there I've seen nowhere else.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock