Started on: 06-25-2015 02:17 PM
Replies: 11 (617 views)
Last post by: Darth Z on 06-28-2015 11:07 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the whole "GM parts bin" concept. So, I'm putting an L67 in a cavalier, not a Fiero this time, and I stumbled upon something that I wanted to share to the community.

Any 2000-2002 cavalier/sunfire, which is the same one that has the F23 with the correct bellhousing for the 3800, has a PCM that is the same externally as the 98-02 3800 PCM, And it's mounted in the passenger fender-well, so it actually ends up being a really nice bracket, IMO, for swappers that want to mount the PCM outside of the interior. Not only is it encased in a metal shield, inside that is a plastic frame with firm rubber to absorb any bad shock. Further out, they wrapped rubber mat around the computer itself for more protection.

The only problem is it's held onto the frame by rivets, so you'd have to drill them out or something at a yard.

But here are pictures of mine. Please keep in mind, this is after i took it off and I admit I didn't know any better and bent it trying to take it off..will fix that and take new pictures.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing Matt!

I am placing the PCM where the stock Fiero ECM was but many can benefit from your useful Post !!!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress--IT'S ALIVE !!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the fact that this ECM, being pulled from the Cavalier with an F23 tranny, help in any way for those wishing to do a 3800 swap with an F23?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CarverToo:

Does the fact that this ECM, being pulled from the Cavalier with an F23 tranny, help in any way for those wishing to do a 3800 swap with an F23?

No, it doesn't. The 2200 L4 computer just happens to be the same size externally, the programming is totally different.

But it made my job of wiring the 3800 into a cavalier SO much easier!
AutoMarshal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember wrapping those pcm's with the rubber covers at the GM dealership.... it was a recall or something...... I did a TON of them
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool. I would like to mount the PCM outside of the cabin, if I can find a location that will work when I get ready to do my swap. I will keep this in mind.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Z:

That's cool. I would like to mount the PCM outside of the cabin, if I can find a location that will work when I get ready to do my swap. I will keep this in mind.

Mine was swapped into the stock Fiero location.... I have no idea why. It gives off a ton of heat. It can handle the heat of the engine bay- that's where it belongs

Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's where I will want to mount mine if I can find a good location.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
S10 PCM tray is also a good option: GM part # 15995679

------------------
10.132 @ 131.69MPH - 1.42 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Best MPH 136.12

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year model S10 does this part come from? I have a 97 that I'm parting out now.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Z:

What year model S10 does this part come from? I have a 97 that I'm parting out now.

2001 and newer, its attached to the coolant bottle by 3 10mm bolts on the passenger side.
PFF
System Bot
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my luck.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock