Locked out with the motor running by gtcarman
Started on: 06-24-2015 09:10 PM
Replies: 28 (483 views)
Last post by: Hudini on 07-04-2015 03:25 PM
gtcarman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtcarmanSend a Private Message to gtcarmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, finally did the big stupid. While working on the 85GT with the engine running, touched the wrong tab and locked the car, of course I didn't have a spare If you pry open the top of the door window gently, you can get up to almost 1" of clearance. A wire hanger will not work pulling the inside handle out. So I took a long round cheap rod, put a 3" screw into the head so the screw stuck out about 2 to 2 1/2 ", work it to the buttons and push the open tab...VOILA !!! open door. Then went and had 3 sets made.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol...awesome. Good post!
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That never happened to me!

DOH! maybe!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never been locked out with the engine running...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulling out the "frame-less" window like Fiero often does damage to the parts that operates the window. The aluminum rivets and/or plastic parts won't like you. Don't be surprise if window have problems later.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will a slim jim work? I have one, I've used it on a few others other GM cars but never a Fiero yet.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about going from the opposite door and trying to pull on the other door handle using a Coat hanger or long stiff wire with a small loop On the end? Will a locked door open if the door handle is pulled? I remember fords did that but I don't think GMs did.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress--IT'S ALIVE !!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anytime I am working on the car I put the window(s) down - no mistake of locking the keys inside.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A slim jim will work, I know only because back in 89 I accidentally locked my keys in the car and a Police officer used one to open my door.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

Will a locked door open if the door handle is pulled? I remember fords did that but I don't think GMs did.

No, the locks disable inner handles, too. I learned quick to keep a spare in my wallet - locking the keys in the trunk 100 miles from home in subzero weather is a mistake I'd rather not repeat.

------------------

[jonrevProjects]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gtcarman, you have a pm.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes a slim Jim works.

Hell I can break into a Ford van with a pocket knife, an Older GMC truck with two brake tools and even a Nissan with a yard stick and a screw driver.
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Anytime I am working on the car I put the window(s) down - no mistake of locking the keys inside.

X2. Although, I have sets of keys, it just makes life easier.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last August attended my wife's uncle's float. 103 people floating down part of the Juliana river in the mountains on inner tubes.
When we finished noticed that my keys were no longer with me. They were on a D link attached to my pants. Oh well. They are most likely near Harrisburg by now.
The doors were open. However, had someone drive me 25 miles to get an ignition lock cylinder. Used 2 wedges to get the deck lid up enough to get the vents off. Then removed the deck lid bolts to lift the lid enough to get a hold of the trunk lock solenoid wire and touched it to the battery,(mine was wired to work with the key on) to get to just enough tools to install the lock cylinder.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

this is what I do too. On my own cars I always have a spare door key hidden I can use to get in. I dont keep an ignition key with it, spare is hidden inside.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Used 2 wedges to get the deck lid up enough to get the vents off. Then removed the deck lid bolts to lift the lid enough to get a hold of the trunk lock solenoid wire and touched it to the battery,(mine was wired to work with the key on) to get to just enough tools to install the lock cylinder.

Is this you?

LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Gorilla tape and taped a spare key to the underside edge of the hood. Nobody knows it's there and it's close enough to the front edge without being seen that I can reach between the hood and the HVAC air intake to peel the key off. Plus when the hood is open the Gorilla tape is dark enough that people don't seem to notice that it's there. I never have to worry about having a spare key fall out of a wallet or left at home.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2 keys are not on the same ring, separate rings and thay hang from my chain around my neck.. Driving key has verry little on it so as not to ware it out..I mounted the drivers door key but it got rusty so I took it off. So no stories not yet there is always time
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've locked myself out of various cars over the years, engines running, or the radio left on, or whatever. I used to keep a spare door key in my wallet, but now with multiple cars I can't do that. Anytime I get out of the car now (with keys inside) I put a window down.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tuna Helper

458 posts
Member since Aug 2010
I've locked myself out of various cars over the years, engines running, or the radio left on, or whatever. I used to keep a spare door key in my wallet, but now with multiple cars I can't do that. Anytime I get out of the car now (with keys inside) I put a window down.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

I've locked myself out of various cars over the years, over the years...

You new nickname is "Tuna two-time"

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 06-27-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get onto your deck lid, a good smack on the sunroof hardware and you can open the sunroof and jump in. I've done it a few times on different fieros it takes about 2-3mins.

------------------

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He hasn't commented since getting into his car. I think he may have locked himself inside the car without access to a computer.
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to get lunch with a buddy and managed to lock my keys in mine (doh), I managed to do the same as you,.......... with a stick I found on the ground haha probably a little tougher this way though.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

If you can get onto your deck lid, a good smack on the sunroof hardware and you can open the sunroof and jump in. I've done it a few times on different fieros it takes about 2-3mins.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early on when I purchased my 87GT I didn't realize that it had a state-of-the -art Excalibur alarm system. If you left the car sitting for two minutes the windows would automatically roll up and the doors would lock. This happened to me when I stopped for gas but I was lucky. My wife was home and the gas station was about a mile away. A call home and the spare key was there. Now I keep a magnetic hide-a-key box on the car just in case.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

2nasti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LostNotForgotton:

Nobody knows it's there...

Uh, we do now . Hhhmm...Maybe I'll have to cruise around Newark the next time I leave Klondike Kate's or the Deer Park and find me a spare Fiero...lol.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent gtcarman a pm telling him where he could hide spare keys without using a visible hide-a-key box. He didn't even respond to that. He got his solution and is gone, judging by the number of posts. Hope we didn't help him get into someone else's car. Anyone in the Midwest missing a Fiero?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I've never been locked out with the engine running...

In Detroit, with one wheel stuck in a snow bank, at 3 am, at -10* F. Got out to push the car with it IN GEAR and the door closed and the lock handle was just close enough that it locked the doors. Called the Wayne Police who had a slim jim. You should have seen how fast these guys showed up thinking I was some drunk fool. I was just getting off work so it was just a tired fool. It happens.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock