Fiero Road Trip by fieromatty
Started on: 06-22-2015 07:15 PM
Replies: 39 (811 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 07-05-2015 01:52 AM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,

So this Friday, I am packing all of my minimal belongings, along with myself and my dog into (or maybe onto) my Fiero and driving from Colorado to Orlando Florida.

I feel confident that the Fiero will make it 2000 miles, but only time will tell.

Any words of wisdom you wish to share for my journey will be greatly appreciated!

The reason I am moving is.... School.

P.S. don't know where I am living yet so if anyone knows of a good extended stay in the orlando area, please let me know.

-Matty
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do something similar, and share the mild trepidation. Probably later this summer with some friends for camping... though not nearly as far.

These kinds of trips get harder to arrange when you have a girlfriend with car phobia :P

[This message has been edited by rednotdead (edited 06-22-2015).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But.... Your like 1 out of 5 Fiero guys I know that live in Colorado....

Well, good luck! I hope your Fiero make the trip there! I hope all is well.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty excited for the new adventure. I don't know anyone in Florida and have never done anything like this before. That Colorado heat yesterday was preparing me for the daily Florida weather. 96deg is too hot!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Four things. 1. Take along a tool kit and a spare ignition module if it's a V6. 2. Look up Space Coast Fieros when you get there. 3. It's just as hot if not hotter down this way as in Colorado. 4. Do not take I-75 parking lot through Atlanta. Take the I-285 West Bypass to I-75 on the south side.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have fun!

( ......and don't leave home without a spare ICM, thermal heat-sink paste and a phillips screwdriver )

Edit.... Fierofool beat me to it!
Actually there are quite a few other items I would bring along as well. A typical assortment set of metric and SAE tools, fan belt, flashlight, jumper cables, hide-a-key magnetic spare key box, a spare set of fuses, etc., etc....

Also check that your lug nut wrench fits ALL the lug nuts on the car. The sneaky old dude I bought my car from had one off-size nut on each wheel as a theft deterrent.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 06-22-2015).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am definitely taking my bad of tools (wouldn't leave without them).

I have a spare ICM and some thermal paste so I should be good.

Man I am not looking forward to the parking lot in Atlanta, I will head your caution.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Godspeed Fieromatty.

If the creek don't run dry, that horse will get you there!

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 06-23-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a private message with my cell number.
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im here florida abit south of olando. Goodluck with your trip . Florida welcomes you. And yes its 96 here but thats just the temp with heat index it feels like well over 100 and the uv index is like extreme this year so far . Its crazy . Its way hotter this year than past years. Plus it only gets hotter in july and aug. Working on the car last month or so been hard the heat is intense.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the warm regards. I might catalog my trip, take a few pictures... We will see.

Fierofool thanks for being available and willing to share. I will keep your number handy in case I run into trouble.

I hope I can survive the heat, I also hope my car doesn't over heat.
PFF
System Bot
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 or 5 gallon spare fuel tank. Electrical tape, hose clamps, roll of wire, knife, headlight and break light. I'd take i10 and avoid the traffic in Atlanta
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I recommend cruising the A1 highway in Florida. An awesome drive in the Fiero, in my opinion.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nashville at rush hour can be a miserable time as well as Atlanta. I-4 around the Orlando area can be miserable drive. Many toll roads around Orlando also.

MapQuest route:
http://www.mapquest.com/#b43448ea1e9deb09adfb6e03

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 06-23-2015).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your stuff all fits in a Fiero, impressive. I bid you good journey.
Be prepared, Florida to me feels hotter due to the humidity.
These days on a road trip I suppose what you need most is a working cell phone.
Remember to check your oil at gas fillups and dont run out of gas.
Keep enough drinking water in the car in case you break down.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things to have that have not been listed above.
1) a metal coat hanger ,
2) wire ties(zip ties) (you can wire tie the coat hanger under the hood or car.. so it not take up space
3) duct tape, (yes it is listed above but )
4)qt of oil
5) qt of transmission fluid
6) gallon of anti freeze, or at least water
7) check the spare before you leave..AND grab a can of fix a flat, I only use it as a last, no other choice but good to have
8) air pump the cheap 9 buck harbor freight one will be fine if you don't have one.
9) fire ex. just in case..
10) a few road flares and a lighter or matches
11) a piece of 1/2" plywood make it the size of a sunroof and you can store it like it was ment to be there.. this is so if you need to jack the car up.. you can go way off the highway and jack it up on the grass, more people get killed on the side of the road from jackass drivers..
12) make sure all the jacking parts are there..
13) a few rags and hand cleaner

most of this stuff you can wire tie in odd spots..
the airpump and can of fix a flat can go behind the spare,
good luck..
check the tire pressure, and recheck half way through..
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like silicone tape better than electrical tape. It has more uses than electrical tape.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I did a one week camping trip in our first Fiero. I took the spacesaver spare out because there would be no place to put the real tire should I have a flat. We took a 10 x 12 cabin tent, a weeks worth of clothing, sleeping bags, Coleman inflatable matress, Coleman cook stove and utensils, bug light, coffee maker, and what else I don't remember. Some of the soft or flat items can be put behind the seats or laid flat in the passenger floor. There's actually lots of room in the Fiero if you're creative, like E.Furgal suggests with the plywood.

Atlanta traffic isn't too bad in the middle of the day. Rush hour is from about 6:30 til after 9am and again in the afternoon starting about 4 until 7pm. Use a GPS. If you get stuck in traffic, get off at the first opportunity and force the GPS to take you a different route if it doesn't have the Detour function. Don't take the shortest, but take the fastest. That will usually keep you out of some of the undesirable areas.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned....AAA or other road service card.
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like quite a ride ahead of you. I hope you have a safe trip, and no trouble along the way.

------------------
2010 Jeep Wrangler
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
1987 Pontiac Fiero
1957 Chevrolet Corvette LS6-swapped (LOOOOOOONG-term project)

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

( ......and don't leave home without a spare ICM, thermal heat-sink paste and a phillips screwdriver )

I know others have said it, but you might want to bring 2 ICMs
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did the trip go Matty?
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far, not good. Stopped for the night in the most questionable motel on the planet. I am probably about half way there.

Got stuck the first time at a gas station. The car wouldn't start, Well the starter wouldn't engage. I think its the ignition switch. I was able to start it with a screw driver. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Got stuck the second time after busting a radiator hose. The pipe to front engine one. Was able to get a flex house to replace it. I had to stop and redo it about after 4 hours because it started leaking again.

Got stuck the third time, the heater hose was rubbing against my AC clutch and it cut it. Its the one going from the thermostat housing to the firewall... It has a weird fitting on the firewall side and I couldn't find a replacement. So I cut the hose and plugged it. I ended up plugging both sides of the heater system, so I have no heater at the moment, but at least I am road worthy.

If anyone knows where to get those hoses, let me know.
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you're putting the car to the test, and finding the weak links. Hope you've got most of them worked out for the rest of your trip.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

Did you look at the Fiero Store selection? (If you can wait until you get to your destination...)

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Rodney Dickman's website, too. He lists them, but doesn't show a price for 84-87 hoses.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So far, not good. Stopped for the night in the most questionable motel on the planet. I am probably about half way there.

Got stuck the first time at a gas station. The car wouldn't start, Well the starter wouldn't engage. I think its the ignition switch. I was able to start it with a screw driver. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Got stuck the second time after busting a radiator hose. The pipe to front engine one. Was able to get a flex house to replace it. I had to stop and redo it about after 4 hours because it started leaking again.

Got stuck the third time, the heater hose was rubbing against my AC clutch and it cut it. Its the one going from the thermostat housing to the firewall... It has a weird fitting on the firewall side and I couldn't find a replacement. So I cut the hose and plugged it. I ended up plugging both sides of the heater system, so I have no heater at the moment, but at least I am road worthy.

Good luck bud. I know those type of road trips can be an ordeal even when everything goes ok. Sounds like you are plowing through. Head down and full speed ahead!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wishing you the best
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you as of midnight, July 30th?
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the time you get there, you're going to have a brand new Fiero from everything you had to replace/fix! Haha, JK, good luck! And have fun!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Where are you as of midnight, July 30th?

PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made it here yesterday. My 280lbs self and my 40lbs dog slept in the car one night during a crazy thunder storm. I was able to catch a few zs, but it wasn't fun.

I ended up going driving up the gulf coast. Needed some scenes, It was a long drive. Finding a place to stay is proving to be difficult, but I should be ok.
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on your safe voyage! Where about did you first hit the coast?
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Z:

Congrats on your safe voyage! Where about did you first hit the coast?

Mobile Alabama.

I almost fell asleep at the wheel driving through Arkansas. It is a pretty weird feeling and glad the intense storm was going on to keep me awake.
Tweeter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweeterSend a Private Message to TweeterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it. I spent 11 years in Pensacola Fl.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I just put my 50lb dog in the Fiero for a trip to the vet a few miles away. I can't imagine driving 2000 miles with her! How'd you do it?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Man, I just put my 50lb dog in the Fiero for a trip to the vet a few miles away. I can't imagine driving 2000 miles with her! How'd you do it?

I did it once with a Pit Bull. Tied a garbage bag around his head, stuffed him in the passenger side and he never moved a bit the whole way.

Just Kidding, of course.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I did it once with a Pit Bull. Tied a garbage bag around his head, stuffed him in the passenger side and he never moved a bit the whole way.

Just Kidding, of course.

Lol....good one! Glad you made it!
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mobile Alabama.

I almost fell asleep at the wheel driving through Arkansas. It is a pretty weird feeling and glad the intense storm was going on to keep me awake.

Yeah, not good! I've had time like that, and also time that I was delirious and seeing things. Good sign to pull over! Did you stop and tour the battle ship and submarine in Mobile?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-Take a cell phone, and pay close attention to the signs that read 'last gas for X miles'.

-I've driven the Fiero 10 hours from New Jersey to northern Michigan, it broke down 30 minutes into the trip, but made it the rest of the way without incident.

-I-80 is beautiful until you reach Nebraska. Avoid Nebraska.

-When I had to drive 36 hours from Detroit to San Jose, I had to choose between the Fiero and the Subaru. Wasn't much of a decision.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/109394.html

-Truckers are required to rest every 10 hours, so this was what I tried to go by.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock