Started on: 06-11-2015 03:25 AM
Replies: 8 (636 views)
Last post by: Stubby79 on 06-11-2015 10:05 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few years ago there seemed to be a lot of ads being posted on the local Craigslist for Fieros (usually '88 GTs or Formulas) with unbelievable prices that... didn't seem to exist. You could try and contact the vendor immediately after the ad first appeared, and you'd never get a response. I wrote about this in the local Fiero club's forum back then thinking that it would be of some interest to other members. I referred to these cars as Phantom Fieros. I was rather surprised to be at the receiving end of a lot of flack from one or two club members for doing so. Perhaps someone in the club had some involvement in this charade. I dunno, but that's all water under the bridge now as I got tired of the BS and quit the club.

Anyway, This ad turned up a few days ago. It had all the earmarks of the typical Phantom Fiero ads from a few years ago.

Using a relatively new feature that the Google browser offers, I found that same exact image all over the 'net... including here at PFF.

From This post in 2009...

That top image looks a little familiar, eh?

Yes, I suspect some loser living in his parent's basement is having a wonderful time getting all sorts of attention from posting this baloney on Craigslist.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a good way to get robbed. People are always on the lookout for "the next big barn find", some good car at a steal. They probably ignore any questions and are just interested in the person who says "I've got cash, I'll be right there".
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would you rob a Fiero owner? Were normally broke and that is why we are happy to buy $500 cars LOL!
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$500 is $500, I've seen reports of people robbing convenience stores for $80.
I didn't say it was a good idea
http://carbuying.jalopnik.c...ads-to-ro-1689411711 for one example
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up I had that bookmarked.. I see it's says it's 'SOLD' now too. Probably because of your thread.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A T-Top 88 Fiero for $500? I'll take it!
If it's too good to be true, then it is.
This thread reminds me of a guy that used to be in our club. (CaliforniaSpeeder9 / Paul) I sent him emails on at least two occasions because his car kept popping up on Craigslist. And this was years after he had sold it. Craigslist has the highest amount of "shady and questionable" characters out of any selling site ever! (my opinion)
Kit
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Thanks for the heads up I had that bookmarked.. I see it's says it's 'SOLD' now too. Probably because of your thread.

A couple days after the ad first appeared, the "price" went up to $1000 from the $500 that you see in the above ad. The whole thing was nothing but a farce.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people just get a kick out of pulling at heart strings. Surprised they didn't follow up 'scrapped' just to piss on people's hopes.
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha. I must be a sucker...he never replied back!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock