Finally bought one. Hello new world by FsburNout216
Started on: 05-27-2015 11:25 AM
Replies: 36 (563 views)
Last post by: FsburNout216 on 06-03-2015 10:32 AM
FsburNout216

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So last week after wanting one for about the last 6 years i bought an 88 gt 5 speed. Registered it yesterday and im officially a part of the best club in the world. i just wanted to say hi and introduce myself before i start pestering everyone with little questions here and there. my only question right now is that the tail end feels very loose when i get on the gas. i bought it knowing that the sway bar links were non existant but i thought installing new links would have fixed this. is this just the way fieros are? or do i need to order more suspension parts?

------------------

1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be low tire pressure, bad wheel bearings or most likely bad bushings in the suspension links.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

The 88s are not at all loose anywhere when well maintained, but they are very sensitive to alignments, and getting a good alignment is not as easy as it sounds. Many shops don't know a thing about 4 wheel alignments of mid-engine cars, but it's very easy for them to act like they do.
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERClick Here to Email GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check trans and engine mounts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What fixed all of mine's loose rear end feeling is a good alignment and new rear struts, I used KYB brand.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

41185 posts
Member since May 2007
Welcome to the forum!
Fieronut83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieronut83Send a Private Message to Fieronut83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. You're in a great area of the country to own a Fiero.

All of the suggestions above are good ones. Like any older car, Fieros can be a puzzle. You just need to find the write piece aka "fix". I would start with the simple (tire pressure) and go from there.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagClick Here to Email CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!! New transmission and motor mounts fixed up my loose rear end.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieClick Here to Email Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Welcome!! New transmission and motor mounts fixed up my loose rear end.

That's what she said!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageClick Here to Email TXOPIESend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome and look forward to hearing about and seeing your car
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 445
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome, let's see some pics. If you use Windows, post your images here with PIP.
PFF
System Bot
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry all i went out driving. got the a/c working today. i was thinking motor and trans mounts. if not im hoping when i do coilover all the way around that it'll do the trick. havent been on any forums in a dogs age so ill try to get some pics up when i can figure it out. just a pretty simple needing some love black gt. FOR NOW
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well that wasnt so bad thanks for the tip about the pip image poster Patrick
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FsburNout216:

well that wasnt so bad thanks for the tip about the pip image poster Patrick

You're welcome!
Zerodrag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZerodragSend a Private Message to ZerodragEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is the same issue that I had when I got my 88 (rear feels like it's swinging out on accel and decel) then this link may help, as it was the same reason for my problem.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-2-052969.html

[This message has been edited by Zerodrag (edited 05-27-2015).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Click Here to Email Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello fellow NJ Fiero-ist!

Check the bushings first, get some nice poly bushings installed to stiffen the suspension right up! I plan on doing it to mine soon!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Let's Go Mets!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zerodrag:

If it is the same issue that I had when I got my 88 (rear feels like it's swinging out on accel and decel) then this link may help, as it was the same reason for my problem.

Torque steer after changing rear bushings

After using my '84 duke for four years, the first time I took my '88 Formula to autocross I almost hit the fenceafter making what I thought was a safe high speed change of direction. The rear end let go and the car totally spun out of control. Yep, I discovered that one of those long bolts was loose. Torqued it to spec and have never had a problem since.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-30-2015).]

dalark68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dalark68Click Here to Email dalark68Send a Private Message to dalark68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. Like everybody else said, proper alignment , tires, shocks and bushings make a difference on an 88. My 88 coupe had a similar problem and I discovered upon close inspection of the rear suspension I found one of the link mounts on the rear cradle was broken due to rust. Good luck with your GT!
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man i was all ready to just ride the car like this a little and buy coilovers as soon as possible but now i got to go get back under the car.. thanks for the idea about the long bolt that sounds like it might be the culprit. ill let you know what happens in a couple hours.
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FsburNout216

23 posts
Member since Apr 2010
anyone have any hints to scrub off the old double sided tape on the sails? one was hanging half off so i removed it but need to clean it up to reinstall
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind you do not have the original wheels on your car. The 88's had staggered fitment. Smaller on the front than rear. Mid/rear engine cars are really sensitive to correct tire pressures as well.
PFF
System Bot
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
had my buddy top off the tire pressure to 35 all around the day i got the car home. should i go more than that? think the tires said max 45. or is it that they just need to be equal.

[This message has been edited by FsburNout216 (edited 05-28-2015).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageClick Here to Email RACESend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FsburNout216, welcome to the brotherhood.

One great thing about the Fiero is that the styling and mechanicals respond very well to upgrades. After you make sure your suspension is tight, I'd recommend 17 inch rims. It updates the look of the car and gets rid of a ton of sidewall flex. Good luck and safe enjoyable miles.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 05-28-2015).]

FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well... ordering a trailing arm bushing kit. found one bushing that was completely shot. must be what is causing the rear to feel loose. as far as 17s they are definitely in the plan. id like to get the same c5 corvette rims i have on my firebird for the fiero but all in 17 and chrome. but i also want full suspension, big brakes, and a 3800sc. so these rims will do for now. maybe ill go play the lottery.
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageClick Here to Email RACESend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's how these cars go. A project here, another there, then dawns on you, you have $12-20 thousand in your car. ; )
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm shooting for 15k. But I only have 8 readily available and would like to buy a small SUV so I have something to drive during motor swap
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageClick Here to Email RACESend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have $8k on deck you are already ahead of most people.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 190
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car will feel better with 30 psi in the tires.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure all your cradle bolts are tight.
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to stay out from under the car until Wednesday when hopefully my parts arrive.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FsburNout216:

Trying to stay out from under the car until Wednesday when hopefully my parts arrive.

Where did you order your parts?
Since you are new to Fieros, I'll take a moment to recommend www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney sells all sorts of pieces that will help you to keep your Fiero running and in top form.
He's not the least expensive, but his parts are "top shelf". Bar none.

Welcome to our obsession!

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsClick Here to Email JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After upgrading my rear suspension I had the same issue before doing the alignment. Once done it was perfect again.

P.S. welcome fellow New Jersey Fiero fan

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 05-30-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 322
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the NJ Fiero owners group.
Being a Fiero owner since 1995, I have also found that the car is very sensitive to having a proper alignment. Most tire shops just don't have the skilled personnel to do the job correctly. After you replace the rear suspension parts and tighten everything up, seek out the best alignment shop around.
I also picked up on the fact that you are not using the 88 wheels. The front and rear used different offsets so maybe that has something to do with it. There is an 88 set of wheels on ebay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121...665773537%26_rdc%3D1
Consider cruising out to Carlisle for the GM Nationals/MAFOA Fieros at Carlisle event on Saturday June 27th. You can find almost everything Fiero related there including parts and technical advise. Its a great Fiero resource and great fun. The way it now looks about 40 Fieros will be there. Hope to see you there.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-31-2015).]

FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a bunch of little things from the Fiero store.. But yes I have heard of Rodney. I think he is currently trying to build the bushings I need in rubber. I went with poly because I'd like to autocross the car when I'm done.
FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FsburNout216

23 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Hey Dennis did you do your 3800 sc yourself or is there a shop in nj with experience? I plan on doing it myself but it's nice to hand a backup plan

[This message has been edited by FsburNout216 (edited 06-01-2015).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageClick Here to Email TheDigitalAlchemistSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Hello fellow NJ Fiero-ist!

Check the bushings first, get some nice poly bushings installed to stiffen the suspension right up! I plan on doing it to mine soon!

That worked for me on my 85 GT. Also put on a rear sway bar.
(edit - the sway bar "tightens things up" ,but sorta TOO much. its more stable until it isn't... you have less "warning" on a turn... )

Welcome to the Fiero World!
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 06-01-2015).]

FsburNout216

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FsburNout216Click Here to Email FsburNout216Send a Private Message to FsburNout216Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
poly bushings all the way around got installed on monday. no more wait for it TORQUE STEER. . justkidding i know its not torque steer have just seen it been talked about in other forums this way thought id make a joke since i got nothing else to ask about the car for now. going outside to see if i cant get the paint looking a little better with some wax today. also ordered a roof rack await pictures of my car with 2 kayaks on top

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock