Tune-up questions by kevin
Started on: 05-21-2015 11:46 AM
Replies: 9 (597 views)
Last post by: mrfiero on 05-23-2015 03:42 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
It is time for me to do a much needed tune-up. The Fiero runs fine. However, since it is being driven to my job 1,300 miles away and has to be smogged, is there any particular items I should replace or pay attention too?
What are the BEST spark plugs to buy? I already changed the oil. OK guys, any ideas?
Cordially,
kevin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change:

O2 sensor
use stock AC delco plugs
wires
cap
rotor
fuel filter

Check for exhaust leaks, EGR function (valve and solenoid), vacuum leaks, timing

At least to start. Not sure what you have done already.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second checking timing, I always use Autolite plugs, have had great luck with my 3800sc with them. Copper is fine. I know some say it doesn't help but, you should sea foam it, I seafoamed every car we've had and it made a noticeable difference in idle quality and response on all of them. You just buy a can of Seafoam from a parts store, you pour 3/4 in your tank, then the last 1/4 threw the vacuum system while its running. The goal is to pour fast enough that the engine stalls. Let it sit for 20 mins, then go for a hard drive. And enjoy the show! Before you seafoam change the plugs/fuel filter. Basically do it last.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
what do you think of the new spark plugs. I forget their name, one type is called Aridium? Or, the other is E3?
Let me know
Cordially,
kevin
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't waste your $ on specialty plugs Use AC Delco.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks old Lar
Cordially,
kevin
Ps I had some extra cash (lucky me) so I bought 4 E3 type plugs👍🏼 I hope they work....

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 05-22-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Thanks old Lar
Cordially,
kevin
Ps I had some extra cash (lucky me) so I bought 4 E3 type plugs👍🏼 I hope they work....

Really.... OEM AC Delco are the best plugs for the Fiero (in stock form).

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122659.html

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 05-22-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Standard NGK's for me...Only plugs I use.
Make sure you have quality plug wires and that they are in good shape.
Clean inside of throttle body regularly with carb spray.
Don't overlook coil & ICM plug harness condition.
Sea foam.....
Kit
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEI can use "normal" AC etc Plugs or basic Platinum types from AC etc.
I use basic Platinum because is cheap and some use better metal or coating on metal that resist rusting. V6 and L4 does rust the plugs allot depending on when you live/drive and car is park.

Don't bother with "gimmick" "special" etc plugs. Many cost money and do little or nothing, or worse cause problems.

If car runs good then save old parts for spares. New parts can have problems out of box or soon and good spares are very handy.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Standard NGK's for me...Only plugs I use.

+1 on NGK's. They are what I use in all of my cars. I like the G-Power platinums......I haven't had any issues over the past 10 or so years I've been using them.

Everyone has their preference on plugs and engine oil and brand of gas, etc., etc. It all comes down to personal preference....use what you like and find a brand that agrees with your car.

That said, I will say that I would avoid Bosch O2 sensors.....I've never had good luck with them. I've been using NTK and Denso O2 sensors on my '88 Fieros for awhile now with good results. They look like the OEM ones too (not that it really matters much).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock