What to do with 3800 Turbo exhaust? by IanT720
Started on: 05-19-2015 12:31 PM
Replies: 23 (806 views)
Last post by: IanT720 on 05-24-2015 06:30 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I'm looking for exhaust ideas on my 3800 turbo build in my fastback... I mounted my turbo under the drivers side deck-lid vent, which makes exhaust routing a tad tricky... To run it sort of normal, the exhaust would be curving around the strut tower, over the transmission, then I'd have to notch the trunk, to have it flow down and out. Do-able but complicated... My buddy thought I should just have the exhaust go up through the deck-lid, like a 918.... I honestly do like that idea... Any ideas? Anything would be helpful! I can add pics if you want.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A pic showing the turbo location and orientation, including enough of the car to see where it is in relation to engine/trans, would be helpful.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

A pic showing the turbo location and orientation, including enough of the car to see where it is in relation to engine/trans, would be helpful.

Yeah it would help haha... Its a Precision 6776 with a swapped .68 AR Exhaust housing, the crossover pipe is a modified ZZP one I bought off ebay, I'm also using the F-body intake so the throttle is where the battery was..

Anyway...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take it you will be running with an intercooler in the location of the stock Fiero cat?

That is an interesting predicament. I'd probably try to route it over the trans in that situation, and down under the trunk.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I take it you will be running with an intercooler in the location of the stock Fiero cat?

That is an interesting predicament. I'd probably try to route it over the trans in that situation, and down under the trunk.

Yup, you got it, should be pretty clean. Yeah that's what I'm still thinking, what exhaust diameter do you recommend? I was thinking 3". And do you think I need a muffler? I had glass packs before and it sounded great, now with the turbo I'm wondering if I need one at all..

------------------

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Yup, you got it, should be pretty clean. Yeah that's what I'm still thinking, what exhaust diameter do you recommend? I was thinking 3". And do you think I need a muffler? I had glass packs before and it sounded great, now with the turbo I'm wondering if I need one at all..

What diameter is the outlet on the turbo? I'd match that. I'd probably put a mini high flow cat on it as well, and a dual outlet muffler that's ~0.5" smaller than the inlet diameter, on the outlet sides, to refine the aural note of the exhaust a bit.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What diameter is the outlet on the turbo? I'd match that. I'd probably put a mini high flow cat on it as well, and a dual outlet muffler that's ~0.5" smaller than the inlet diameter, on the outlet sides, to refine the aural note of the exhaust a bit.

Gotcha, I think it is 3 inch or 2.75. No cat needed here ... Also I should add I'm going to run an exhaust scavenged PCV system, I want a clean setup, no catch can, so if I can make this work, that would be pretty trick. I bought the "Slash Cut tube" and 1 way valve off Summit already. Basically the exhaust rushing past the pipe creates a vacuum sucking out the PCV system. I have not decided if I should install the pipe in the main exhaust, or Waste-Gate dump. Thats why I'm a little hesitant on a muffler, I don't want any back pressure.

------------------

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or side exhaust in front of the tire.. be pretty different
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Or side exhaust in front of the tire.. be pretty different

I was thinking about that actually, but I'm running my intake down there, and I also mounted my transcooler in front of the wheel too... Would look cool though. Any thought on going up through the deck lid? I saw a twin turbo WS6 T/A with two stacks sticking outta the hood, looked narley!

------------------

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was thinking about that actually, but I'm running my intake down there, and I also mounted my transcooler in front of the wheel too... Would look cool though. Any thought on going up through the deck lid? I saw a twin turbo WS6 T/A with two stacks sticking outta the hood, looked narley!

I'm guessing the stacks on that T/A were just the wastegate outlets, and he had a full exhaust under the car still? Or it was a drag car that wasn't street legal?

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 05-20-2015).]

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm guessing the stacks on that T/A were just the wastegate outlets, and he had a full exhaust under the car still? Or it was a drag car that wasn't street legal?

Nope it was literally dumping it up, actually that car I've seen doing some roll racing on YouTube. So he drives it on the street anyway haha. I've seen a few fwd cars with a straight pipe out the side of the front bumper, didn't seem that loud, until they hit the 2 step...
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My turbo is mounted above the transmission, so it's not far from where yours is mounted. You can do like I did and just run a downpipe from the turbo down towards the trunk area either alongside the transmission or above it in areas (making sure you leave enough room for the shifter linkage). You should have more than enough room to use 3" mandrel bent pipe with header wrap on it - that's what I'm using and there is plenty of room. I'm using a single-in, single-out muffler in the stock location and my trunk is uncut/unmodified from stock.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Here's a picture of how I ran exhaust out of a turbo on a customer's car (which is similar to mine):

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

My turbo is mounted above the transmission, so it's not far from where yours is mounted. You can do like I did and just run a downpipe from the turbo down towards the trunk area either alongside the transmission or above it in areas (making sure you leave enough room for the shifter linkage). You should have more than enough room to use 3" mandrel bent pipe with header wrap on it - that's what I'm using and there is plenty of room. I'm using a single-in, single-out muffler in the stock location and my trunk is uncut/unmodified from stock.

I always loved that car you did, big inspiration for my build, to me it seems really tight over the neutral safety switch. Maybe my engine sits higher? But okay I will just try to do that
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I always loved that car you did, big inspiration for my build, to me it seems really tight over the neutral safety switch. Maybe my engine sits higher? But okay I will just try to do that

The up-pipe from the rear exhaust manifold comes closer to the neutral safety switch than the downpipe from the turbo does. But there is enough room for you to build the system so both pipes clear it.
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth what crossover are you using?

------------------

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

The one that was on my old car (pictured above) was custom fabbed,
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
using the stock manifolds? Do you have pic?
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

using the stock manifolds? Do you have pic?

I believe there is a few pics on GMtuners.com (aka Ryan Darth Fiero's site)
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On my personal car, I modified a stock crossover pipe because I'm still using the stock manifolds. However, the stock rear manifold is highly modified.

On AkursedX's build, we used ZZP turbo P-logs if I recall, and I made a custom turbo up/y-pipe for that build.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How'd you route the piping for the wastegate on that setup?
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the same route I'm using on mine too, 3" mandrel bent over the trans, under the trunk. I was also thinking about the possibility of a oval shaped pipe for the area between the trans and trunk if I need a plan B.

I don't have it built yet and won't until it gets put into a real car but it looks like it will fit without issue in the sawzalled engine bay that I built everything in.
But that is from an 86 and my car is an 88 so not doing the exhaust yet.

I plan on adding a heat shield over the shift linkage and there is a brake line that looks like it might be in the way on the trunk wall but that's easy to move.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where does your compressor draw suction? my turbo is in a similar location, and I don't have room for a filter at all.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

where does your compressor draw suction? my turbo is in a similar location, and I don't have room for a filter at all.

I don't either, I had to basically cram a silicone 90* bend against the firewall for the turbo inlet. It goes from 3" to 4". I plan on putting some tubing to route the filter in the wheel well. It's extremely tight, I might have to oval the intake tubing. Since the turbo sits so close to the firewall.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock