Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Entering first car show. Advice appreciated.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Entering first car show. Advice appreciated. by rice.1
Started on: 05-19-2015 09:21 AM
Replies: 23 (857 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 05-22-2015 02:09 PM
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So our small town has a car show scheduled for July 26 to help raise money for the local pool. I haven't been to a car show since I was a kid, let alone actually entered one. I will be entering both my 87 GT and 85 2M4.

I was wanting some advice on what I need to do to stand out to the judges. Obviously, cleaning the vehicle inside and out to look it's best is major. I plan on clay barring and cleaning them as much as I can, as well as cleaning the interior and engine compartment. Any ideas or tips on making the cars look their best?

Also, composing myself to be memorable on a personal level to the judges? Should I engage in conversation, or just wait to answer any questions they may have?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go, and have fun, if you win you win... don't worry about it..
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend you brush up on your Fiero history; at least read the wikipedia article on the car. Lots of good stuff most people don't know. Be prepared for the enviable question/statement: Didn't a lot of these catch fire and burn up? I usually respond with something like: "Yep, a lot of them did. That what make these 2 so special. They are the only 2 left." Regardless, go have fun, help raise money for the cause and don't sweat the small stuff.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh.... just go enjoy the time. Some people have trailer queens and they are cleaner than when delivered to the original owner. I thought it was funny when I drove my convertible Fiero every day, 60+ miles a day, all weather (except winter) and judges would mark down for dirty interior air vents.... Yeah, that is when I stopped caring about a plastic trophy. There were people who would practically disassemble their car to show how "clean" it was. pfft.... whatever.

As mentioned, know the history of the Fiero.

My greatest comeback to "don't those catch on fire" is to say something like "Yup, it happened 2 times today already.... completely burnt down to the ground and then like a phoenix, it rose up and out of the ashes"....
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Eh.... just go enjoy the time. Some people have trailer queens and they are cleaner than when delivered to the original owner. I thought it was funny when I drove my convertible Fiero every day, 60+ miles a day, all weather (except winter) and judges would mark down for dirty interior air vents.... Yeah, that is when I stopped caring about a plastic trophy. There were people who would practically disassemble their car to show how "clean" it was. pfft.... whatever.

As mentioned, know the history of the Fiero.

My greatest comeback to "don't those catch on fire" is to say something like "Yup, it happened 2 times today already.... completely burnt down to the ground and then like a phoenix, it rose up and out of the ashes"....

Love the last statement!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For your first car show, I would say try and enjoy it more than try and win.
Car shows are supposed to be fun, don't stress about trying to win
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have fun, make some new friends.
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
every car has flaws. every owner knows his cars flaws. don't point them out. just sit back and enjoy your day. let the people come and look at your cars. remember no car is perfect,but many people will admire your car for what they are. Maybe someone had one when they where younger or have always grew up wanting one themselves. just say thank you to all the people there and have a great day. p.s. good luck.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah just enjoy the time. I actually like to go talk to other car owners about their cars. Depending on the show there may not be official judges. Could be people who brought cars vote, could be spectators or sponsors pick a car or cars. Could be local Joe Bob gets all his friends votes. Whether there are or not, if someone came off as trying to get votes it would probably deter a voter / judge.

Oh, if you do spray tire shine stuff, spray it on a rag and then wipe so you dont end up with patches on the ground around the tires, it looks silly.
But alot of folks prefer natural rubber finish, not shiny, same with the dash.

Bring a folding chair to sit on. Bring a spot detailer / quick wax type spray for unexpected spots on the paint.

For me its a bonus and unexpected to get a trophy most times.

rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your responses.

I should have stated, I'm definitely not in it to win. It's mostly to support the pool and have a good time. Also, it will be a good time with my wife and boy (9 month old when this rolls around, and also my justification for getting the 85 is it would be her's and the boy's ) to have some memories. He will no doubt have his Fiero shirt on, courtesy of FieroThomas.

As there are very few, if any, Fieros in the area, I also want to really show off the condition these are in, as well as really making them pop. Spraying a rag and cleaning the tires is a good idea, as well as spot cleaning if I notice something later.

I don't think judging will be that strict, as it's mainly a fundraiser, a small town, and they want to get as many people out as possible. There are multiple categories for awards, including Best Chevy, Best Ford, and Best MOPAR. One thing I would like people to say afterwards is "There were some nice vehicles, but did you see the Fieros?"

I will need to brush up on some history, because I'm sure the inevitable "Fire" question will come out. Jaskispyder's comeback may be the go to answer, haha.

Again, thank you. And I'll try to remember to take pictures (Bad memory on bringing cameras. Just ask my wife when our boy's dedication was last weekend in church )
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been showing my Sky for a few years now. Some things I like to do:

- What others said: Go have fun, enjoy the day, enjoy how your cars look, and appreciate the cars of others.

- Take time to walk around and enjoy the other cars- it'll be okay if you're not at your car the whole time.

- Make eye contact with people and maybe ask if they are enjoying the show, or if there are questions you can answer about the car, but don't just start going on about your cars. I guess part of this is my preference to appreciate the aesthetic of a car first, and then ask the owner questions if I have them.

- I'm a fan of the signs that give the basic info about the cars...the stuff that I don't need to answer 50 times per show (how big is the engine, how many were made, what years were they made, etc.) I put that stuff on a board along with some nice pics of the car (often little details).

- Bring folding chairs and water and snacks and choose your spot strategically: If it's going to be hot I look for a spot that has afternoon shade. Arriving early helps and as a bonus, sometimes there's free food early

- Bring a little detail kit for use after you drive there and during the day (it's pollen season here).

- I like personal/unique stories about the cars...if you got one with your infant daughter in mind, telling people, "I got this one thinking it might be her daily driver one day".

- If you are comfortable with it, offer to let some of the little kids sit in your cars- kids at these shows get told "DON'T TOUCH" over and over and it's nice for them to get a chance to touch.

- In my book, a little trophy is nice, but winning is through having fun, not a trophy.

My wife has her first show with her Sprite this coming weekend and we'll be showing our Fiero for the first time since we got all the work done in June. It's going to be great fun
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have any, original advertisements are cool too.

SoCal Jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SoCal JimSend a Private Message to SoCal JimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a lawn chair, cooler and a hat. Usually the judges are not qualified and don't care about conversation or a nice shirt. Go, Enjoy.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car shows are supposed to be fun. I attend mostly to meet the folks and if I happen to win anything that's fine and if I don't that's fine too. IMO, people that take the competition too seriously put un-necessary stress on themselves all for a small "dust catcher" trophy and bragging rights-bid deal! That and $2 buys you a soda.
Go have fun, wash the car, show the car as you wish and enjoy a relaxing experience. That's really what it should be about.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean your car up as nice as you can, watch the other owners at the show to see what they do, and relax and enjoy yourself. For each show I go to I take a good look at my Fiero and find something I can do to make it nicer for the next show. It's not likely that you will see another Fiero, but if you do, check it out and compare your to the other. Some shows use club members to judge, and others have the people with cars in the show vote. You will always have one or two naysayers at a show that will shoot their mouths off but ignore them. You will learn more at each show you go to and enjoy the show. Good luck.
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to take some pictures for us. We want to see what happened!
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to say if there are three cars in your class and three class awards, nobody needs to know that.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rice.1:

So our small town has a car show scheduled for July 26 to help raise money for the local pool. I haven't been to a car show since I was a kid, let alone actually entered one. I will be entering both my 87 GT and 85 2M4.

I was wanting some advice on what I need to do to stand out to the judges. Obviously, cleaning the vehicle inside and out to look it's best is major. I plan on clay barring and cleaning them as much as I can, as well as cleaning the interior and engine compartment. Any ideas or tips on making the cars look their best?

Also, composing myself to be memorable on a personal level to the judges? Should I engage in conversation, or just wait to answer any questions they may have?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

I have judged cars for years as a paid judge.

#1 rule don't speak to the judges unless spoken to.

We do not care what you have to say and if anything it is distracting. Our focus is the car and the detail and condition. Let your car do the talking. If you have info that is relevant use a information sign or card.

Best to spend your time detailing as win or lose it will only improve your car. Also speak to others there that do have top cars and ask how they detail things and what products they use. You can learn some tricks from some of the real show people. Some others may also be novices and may not have the best info so take advice at your own judgment.

Also if you clean you need to clean unlike you would if you were just doing a weekend clean up. You need to go for every nook and cranny. You need to clean, paint and detail all the little spots as most people to all the easy ones.

Make sure the hood and trunk are open as if you have them close you appear to be hiding something.

Now if people come up and want to talk speak to them as they are the ones that really want to hear about your car and stories. In fact most of them will have their own to tell you. I hang with the car for a bit but I tend to walk away and keep away as I like to looking at the other cars and not answering a bunch of questions at time. Often I go sit with a friend and their car.

Today I only enter a couple show I deem a challenge any more but I just try to just hit cruise ins to just enjoy the evening anymore.

Too often anymore I sit at a show thinking of all the things at home I should be doing LOL!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there is a box for "do not judge/score", click it and enjoy the rest of the show.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If there is a box for "do not judge/score", click it and enjoy the rest of the show.

I stopped entering my cars for judging as it adds too much stress for what is supposed to be a fun event. I prefer the "show-n-shine" format where everyone shows their car just for fun. Other than that make sure you spend your time talking to people and possibly making new friends..
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for entering that is a personal choice.

You can still enter and enjoy the show just keep your perspective. I have won many shows over the years and to me it is a challenge not just to win but just to see if I can keep the car in a condition to be able to win. For me it is a motive to work on the car.

The big thing is winning a show is a lot of work still with a little luck playing in. Also you will win some that you should not have won and other times you will lose some you should have won. It all balances out in the end. Just never go in expecting a win and you will be fine.

Chose your shows for the right reasons like this one for a fund raiser or look for classes that are conducive to Fiero's like a sports car class or Pontiac class. Also pay attention to how the show works and the quality of the judging. And above all learn while you are there. The keys to a winning car is preparation not ego. Many people think they know how to prep a car and fail to look around at what others do and the level of their cars.

Competing is challenging and can be fun just keep it in the right perspective.

One show I have coming up this year is a cancer fund raiser and there are no awards. Now this one the real trick is entry is limited and you can only be invited to participate. The real award is to get the invite to drive out on the country club fairway. This show brings cars of many types from around the country and it will be an honor to display my car. He even told me I would be parked with the Ferraris. It should be fun.

The thing is with the Fiero the right prep can take you a long way. We has the Cleveland Fiero club here and we all competed against each other at national Fiero and Pontiac events. We also showed each other things we did to improve the cars. Because of the constant competition and help we gave each other we all have done well at the big shows and we all have learned how to maintain our cars. We also learned to remain friends and even when we shut the club down we still go to the shows and hang out and have a good time. We even pull for each other at the shows. I know that their cars are top notch and if I win it really means something because I know I competed against some of the best cars. If I lose I know it was also a top quality car that has beaten me.

Just keep winning as a privilege and not a expectation.

It is ok to show and shine but I just don't want you to get the idea to never compete either. Do it in the right way and for the right reasons and it can be rewarding.

By the way I have beaten the trailer queens and cars that their wheels are worth more than my car. Like I said work prep and a little luck are the keys. The only folks who go away disappointed are often those who go in with expectations. If you expect nothing you go home with what you expect or more no matter what happens.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 05-20-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a few cleaning tips:
Clean the heat shields, blower tubes and transmission housing with SOS pads.
Clean the soot out of your exhaust tips.
Clean inside your door hinge area.
Clean and then Armor All (lightly) your inner fender wells.
Clean the front compartment area thoroughly.
Use Semichrome polish on the thermostat cap and dogbone.
I use a cheap, 2 inch roll of masking tape rolled into a circle to pick up and dirt, lint, etc. from the mats, carpet and the trunk liner.
Invest in cheap toothbrushes and paint brushes.
A good hand cleaner and a rag will take care of dirty inner door pulls and on your door panels.
You can use one of those "fuzz busters" (lint ball removers ) on the lower carpeted area of your door panels. This will get rid of the frayed, loose carpet fibers that your shoes are causing.
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 05-21-2015).]

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hooked my headlights up to remote control. I could stay away from the car and when people would walk by it I would hit it. Lights would come up and give a wolf whistle to those walking by.

Took a bit. Remote control for foglights and a timed relay on the wolf whistle horn that took a bit of tinkering to get right timing.

Perfect response I had was the elderly lady i did it to looked at the car then at me and told me. " Boy that car was fresh!" ROFLMAO
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Here is a few cleaning tips:
Clean the heat shields, blower tubes and transmission housing with SOS pads.
Clean the soot out of your exhaust tips.
Clean inside your door hinge area.
Clean and then Armor All (lightly) your inner fender wells.
Clean the front compartment area thoroughly.
Use Semichrome polish on the thermostat cap and dogbone.
I use a cheap, 2 inch roll of masking tape rolled into a circle to pick up and dirt, lint, etc. from the mats, carpet and the trunk liner.
Invest in cheap toothbrushes and paint brushes.
A good hand cleaner and a rag will take care of dirty inner door pulls and on your door panels.
You can use one of those "fuzz busters" (lint ball removers ) on the lower carpeted area of your door panels. This will get rid of the frayed, loose carpet fibers that your shoes are causing.
Kit

On the transaxle I use aluminum wheel cleaner and a stiff brush. It works well. Note I use the milder clear coat as not to damage or stain anything else.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock