2002 Camaro/Firebird BCM install insight/ feedback by Cajun
Started on: 05-19-2015 07:33 AM
Replies: 9 (315 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 05-24-2015 09:52 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to embark on an install of a 2002 Firebird BCM install, I would appreciate any feedback, insight, ah-ha moments from those of you that have done this upgrade.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search is your friend!

I did a Google search, and the VERY FIRST RESULT has has both of your requirements. What someone thought that did it in the first post along with detailed step by step instructions.

Took less than 20 seconds to find it. Took far longer to type of this post

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-19-2015).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have done several searches, including you referenced. I was hoping for addition feedback and or information from individuals who have done this upgrade.

I'm pressing on with the upgrade, in fact as of now I'm about 70% complete with the wiring mods. Taking my sweet time for obvious reasons!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Search is your friend!

John with all due respect... this is a forum not a library. Those "use the search" type responses don't really contribute to the conversation of one human being to another. If he had just used the search, versus an actual post, I wouldn't have known he was working on this. I wouldn't have been reminded that I commented on that post from 2010, and I wouldn't now be thinking about doing it on my car. That's the whole point of a forum...communication between live humans.

Having said all that I don't have anything to contribute either, except I probably have a whole box full of Firebird BCMs and one of these days I will do this mod just for the fun of it. If you get stuck maybe I can help.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-19-2015).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is upgrade is not fot the faint of heart. The is a lot of cutting out. I.e., rear hatch relay, adding a couple relays & fuse block mods! Having said that, the upgrade is not that difficult, just demanding.

I was taking out my dash to correct couple wiring issues from a previous upgrade. (Digital HVAC unit)

In addition, I will be removing the remote mirror controller for one from a Grand Am. My 86 GT did not have remote mirrors, I added them a couple, three, four years ago. During that period of time I was searching for a method to address the original driver mirror control knob. The installation of a Grand Am remote mirror controller will resolve that issue.

I will post BCM upgrade once I complete the install.

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cajun

1554 posts
Member since Dec 2003
This is upgrade is not fot the faint of heart. The is a lot of cutting out. I.e., rear hatch relay, adding a couple relays & fuse block mods! Having said that, the upgrade is not that difficult, just demanding.

I was taking out my dash to correct couple wiring issues from a previous upgrade. (Digital HVAC unit)

In addition, I will be removing the remote mirror controller for one from a Grand Am. My 86 GT did not have remote mirrors, I added them a couple, three, four years ago. During that period of time I was searching for a method to address the original driver mirror control knob. The installation of a Grand Am remote mirror controller will resolve that issue.

I will post BCM upgrade once I complete the install.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

I hear what you are saying... I'm not a wiring guru, but I've pretty much installed all the power options in my coupe from scratch with my own custom built wiring harnesses, so I can pretty much figure out anything. When it comes to wiring, most people expect a plug and play install or else they don't want to even be bothered. If you can read and follow directions and take your time then wiring is not that bad.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
John with all due respect... this is a forum not a library. Those "use the search" type responses don't really contribute to the conversation

With respect as well back at you, If I had just replied to use the search feature, I would in fact agree with you. I HATE when I see posts with just those words.

However in my reply post, I said search is your friend, and then went on to offer a link to someone that had done the modification, which is what the OP asked for. I then explained that in the first post, when following that link, there were step by step instruction on how to do what he was attempting.

Also, if you follow that link in my post, you will see a "guided tour" of how I searched for and found the information. A lot of people are not aware of the "Site:" command in Google. It is FAR superior to the search here on the forum, so in general, a neat bit of bonus information to anyone searching here on the forum for anything.

"Having said all that" How could one surmise that I did not contribute to the conversation?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-20-2015).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

"Having said all that" How could one surmise that I did not contribute to the conversation?

Hi John,

Sorry if I offended.. Yours was more helpful than most. That let me google it for you is kind of cool. No problem...these days any kind of post is refreshing.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Hi John,

Sorry if I offended.. Yours was more helpful than most. That let me google it for you is kind of cool. No problem...these days any kind of post is refreshing.

No offense taken. Here! Here! for the posts being refreshing. I miss the days when I could spend a couple hours catching up on posts, and reading through new stuff. Now it seems I spend more times going to the forum, just to see that there are no new posts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock