What to Use to Plug Antenna hole by DKcustoms
Started on: 05-11-2015 03:03 PM
Replies: 5 (698 views)
Last post by: cone shark on 05-16-2015 10:18 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed the antenna from my 88, I will be putting a shark fin on the roof.
So now I am stuck with a hole in the fender.

I am debating about getting a rubber gromet or rubber plug and using that to fill the hole, but I want something that will look good or decent until I get good at using body filler.

Any ideas?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the fender.

Rough up the back side edges of the hole with a metal file.

Take a strip of metal tape on the outside (painted side) covering the entire hole tight and smooth.

Now get yourself a stick of VersaChem Magnum - Steel Epoxy Stick

Break off a chunk and knead it together...you will feel it start to warm in your hands.

Now from the backside of the fender...fill the hole while spreading the excess from the center out over the edges of the hole from the backside.

Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then remove the metal tape from the front.

Light sanding from the front and the hole is filled with very little effort and it will last with no issues...done to several Fieros.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-11-2015).]

jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/125...em567067d901&vxp=mtr

And body filler is appropriate for finishing the hole after you've filled it, but not plugging it.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Evercoat MAxim 885

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=179

Sand outside edges of hole down to form a small funnel.
Block back of hole, I used a piece of card board. Mix adhesive onto a sheet then paste into hole, let set for a while then remove backing.
When set file/sand down then prime and paint.

I've filled mine, not got around to the paint bit yet but I slowly painting the whole car so it will get done in the end.
I used the same technique on some holes in the front fender where the front license plate used to be. Just painted that and it you cannot tell the holes were ever there.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't want to sand and do all that, there is a plug you can use to cover the hole. You paint it the color you want , clear coat it, then push it in... Not as perfect as the other methods here though...
They sold it in the auto body place lemme try to find the name of it...it actually was a screw cover or something...

Edit: just google "antenna hole plug".

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 05-12-2015).]

cone shark

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to try this.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-112783.html

The little flush plug is still tight.
Took < 1 second to install.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay