Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  This headliner board doesn't look factory :)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
This headliner board doesn't look factory :) by Monkeyman
Started on: 05-10-2015 02:50 PM
Replies: 17 (629 views)
Last post by: lorennerol on 05-15-2015 09:36 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the headliner out of the parts car figuring I could repair the crumbling fiberboard and recover it in preparation for wiring in Homelink and Gentex mirror. It popped out and the first thing I thought was, "boy, that was easy...I'm sure it just broke". Turns out, it didn't break because it's (I think) an ABS board. Is this the one TFS sells? It still needs to be recovered (the material isn't sticking to the "head holes"). I can just rip the old material off of this, right? Pretty pleased, TBH.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if it's the TFS or not, but definitely not factory.

I found a guy here in Texas that would recover a headliner for $25 including the material. It only takes him a few minutes so I guess he figures he's making money.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I redid one once. I probably had all day in it but I had to brush off the fiberboard powder, coat it with resin and let that dry before I could recover it. This should be a snap.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's interesting, I'd like to know also. Never seen anyone advertising a product like that.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store has an ABS headliner but I have no idea what it looks like. The only pics on the TFS site are covered (and not very good). I'm just pleased I don't have to fix/restore an original fiberboard headliner. Like I said, I restored one once. Once was all it took to realize I didn't want to do it again. Of course, I bought some resin (expensive crap) the other day in preparation for the restoration.
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to buy the ABS, but I am not sure I want one that is covered. I would want it to be done right and the color matched to my visors. Hopefully you can get just the ABS. That Is definitely the way to go.

JJ
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The uncovered ones are $160. Since I now have the resin, I think I'll go buy some fiberglass mat and try my hand at making my own ALDL cover.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the TFS ABS headliner, but mine is for a sunroof car, so it doesn't look exactly like yours. That said, I'd bet that's a TFS headliner. Other than sound deadening, I think ABS makes a lot more sense than fiberboard for this application.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep it's the TFS one.

I had problems getting my headliner material to stay up on the ABS panel. I ended up using a different contact cement type adhesive because the 3m spray just would not work..
BabyEating Dingo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyEating DingoSend a Private Message to BabyEating DingoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Yep it's the TFS one.

I had problems getting my headliner material to stay up on the ABS panel. I ended up using a different contact cement type adhesive because the 3m spray just would not work..

Well don't leave us hanging. What did you find that worked?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I have that same Fierostore non sunroof ABS one.
In my case they were notorious for not staying stuck. I returned two of them that were detaching upon arrival and finally kept the last one. Its beginning to show signs of detaching but not enough for most people to notice. Those head coves must be tough to get something to stick in.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with the 3M "Headliner Adhesive" (part number 38808), rather than the other, more common 3M glues like 77 or 9077 or whatever they're called. But I'm spraying it on the stock fiberboard headliner if that makes any difference. Not plastic.

Not sure why the ABS plastic boards would be so troublesome. Given a choice, I'd rather be working with a plastic one if all things were equal otherwise.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if the ABS heats up more than the fiberglass. Heat is the enemy for getting headliner material to stay stuck it seems.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BabyEating Dingo:

Well don't leave us hanging. What did you find that worked?

Good point haha..

Here's the stuff I ended up using.. Weldwood Landau

http://www.dap.com/product_...randID=50&SubcatID=9

I ended up buying a 5 gallons of it because I had a lot of interior work to do on a new modified RV.. amazing stuff.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Good point haha..

Here's the stuff I ended up using.. Weldwood Landau

http://www.dap.com/product_...randID=50&SubcatID=9

I ended up buying a 5 gallons of it because I had a lot of interior work to do on a new modified RV.. amazing stuff.

I've heard many good things about weldwood. If mine ever comes to redoing i will probably use it.
1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lowe’s Formica counter top adhesive it comes in a quart can one quart is all you will need. Use the small cheap sponge roller kit to roll it on both the abs and onto the back of the headliner material. You will need someone to help lay it onto the base. You will only get one shot at putting it down. Once it sticks you will not be able to get it up to correct. It has been in my car for 12 years still up holding up great. If your car has a sunroof don’t cut the hole out for it until final install back in the car. The hole in the abs base is about 2 inches larger than the sunroof. Cut the hole out after everything is back in place in the car. If you don’t you will not have enough material to pull into the channel for the rubber holding strip to lock in.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:
... You will only get one shot at putting it down. Once it sticks you will not be able to get it up to correct.

This is where I doubt my skills at recovering.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

This is where I doubt my skills at recovering.

+1

I'm going to run that gauntlet with sail panels and 3M VHB tape this weekend.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock