How many people autocross? by Tuna Helper
Started on: 05-10-2015 08:39 AM
Replies: 4 (231 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 05-10-2015 03:22 PM
Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to do a few races this summer and see how I like it, and was wondering what I could do suspension wise to make the car handle better. My car is an '86, 3800sc, 4 speed muncie. I know tires are probably the number one item (a friend has been racing and been changing tires to find the best ones for his car) but what else?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front and rear sway bars, lowering springs or coil overs

------------------

LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Front and rear sway bars, lowering springs or coil overs

I agree. i autocross as well. If you have the extra money I have the Koni Special D adjustable shocks and love them. I have a front and rear sway bar as well. You can also do a polyurethane handling kit. Not suspension related but still handling related is a good set of summer tires.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I autocrossed my '84 duke for four years, and I'm now into my second year of using my '88 Formula.

So far we've mentioned tires (absolutely #1), front and rear sway bars, lowering springs or coil overs. I'll add that using cut springs to lower/stiffen the suspension is fine as well when done properly.

I'll also add that it's best IMO to try and stiffen the front a bit more than the back. To that end I've used poly bushings and Rodney's zero lash end links with the front sway bar. On the back I've retained the use of rubber bushings for the sway bar and end links.

And moving the battery up front also helps the balance and handling of a Fiero.

I like this camera angle of one of my runs last year. This was a more wide open layout than we normally have, which resulted in higher than usual speeds for an autocross event. I was going about 70 MPH when I entered the stop box.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-10-2015).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take off the steering damper when you run.

You are on a smooth surface and you will not get any kick back. The damper removed will lighten the steering response and effort.

Now on the road it dose help for kickback.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock