Question on 3800SC Intercooling by Fiero Vampire
Started on: 05-07-2015 02:53 PM
Replies: 11 (753 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 05-10-2015 11:24 PM
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I purchased ZZP's Stage 2 Intercooler System for my 3800SC swap before I realized that I needed the FrozenBoost 26x7x3.5 (Type 101) Heat Exchanger instead of the ZZPs that came with the kit, Now I'm about to order one but wanted to ask anyone who has done this install what other intercooler related parts I should also order (hose, fitting, tanks ect.) that I'll need and if they can point me to a build thread that may cover installation/routing, parts list, ect. I've searched but haven't found any that really covered what I'm looking for.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats wrong with the ZZP HE? It should work fine.
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Size, it doesn't fit like the frozenboost's, the only thread I could find that used the ZZP heat exchanger cut up and mounted it into the front bumper. If someone is using a ZZP FMHE successfully I'd love to see photos.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most Fiero owners mount their intercooler FMHE's like this.

For hose we just used standard 3/4" heater hose and right angle hose nipples that attached to the FMHE. For a reservoir a stainless steel overflow tank was used. Installed where the CC unit used to sit.

For running the hoses front to back 1" electrical conduit brackets were used, held in place with 1/8" large head pop rivets.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-07-2015).]

Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Dennis, do you know how much hose is needed? With the frozenboost setup I'll need 1/2 NPT to 3/4 elbow barbed adapters correct? What kind of reservoir a stainless steel overflow tank did you use?
Drew-py

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
he is my set up FMHE, I did not cut anything on car to make it fit.

My overflow and burp tank is a modified radiator overflow tank from another make of car. this tank was a free-be from the junk yard because it was broken but it allowed me the ability to test and see if it would work and it did, even came with it own mounting plate/bracket
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to tell from the photo but are those the Intercooler hoses running under the gas tank? How many feet of hose did you end up using?

Also my car is a Formula has anyone installed a Frozenboost FMHE under a formula nose?

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

Thanks for the info Dennis, do you know how much hose is needed? With the frozenboost setup I'll need 1/2 NPT to 3/4 elbow barbed adapters correct? What kind of reservoir a stainless steel overflow tank did you use?

The overflow tank that is now the reservoir is a two quart unit made by Moroso #63769 Its polished aluminum
[img] http://static.summitracing....arge/mor-63769_w.jpg [/img]

Summit Racing Equipment
As for intercooler hose. a 20' roll of 3/4" heater hose should do

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-11-2015).]

Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up 36 ft of blue 3/4 heater hose off eBay cost me any $48 could of gotten 50 ft of black hose for $5 cheaper but I wanted blue hose and if I only need 20ft, 36 ft should be more than enough.

I do like the moroso reserve tank but was looking at Frozenboost Ice Box Reserve Tank would it work instead or would I still need one like the moroso?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vampire (edited 05-10-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

I picked up 36 ft of blue 3/4 heater hose off eBay cost me any $48 could of gotten 50 ft of black hose for $5 cheaper but I wanted blue hose and if I only need 20ft, 36 ft should be more than enough.

I do like the moroso reserve tank but was looking at Frozenboost Ice Box Reserve Tank would it work instead or would I still need one like the moroso?

That Ice Box reserve tank looks good and its practical but I do not know of anywhere in a Fiero where you could mount something that large. Perhaps it can go in the trunk (or in the front compartment) but at a cost of trunk space that is small to begin with or the loss of your spare tire if you go under the hood.

Size, it doesn't fit like the frozenboost's, the only thread I could find that used the ZZP heat exchanger cut up and mounted it into the front bumper. If someone is using a ZZP FMHE successfully I'd love to see photos.

I've seen the ZZ FMHE's mounted in Fieros . The install requires that you sandwich in the FMHE between the radiator and A/C condenser. IMO this does not make for an efficient install. First off the FMHE is not seeing cool ambient air flow as it is between a hot radiator and a hot A/C condenser. Second by putting three elements in tandem air flow is greatly diminished, theoretically making everything run even hotter. I like the FMHE in an unobstructed cool air steam all by itself, I even locate the hoses that go to the IC away from the heater lines below. InterCOOLers need to remove heat to function properly.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was debating about possibly putting the Ice box either up front using a battery relocation kit or putting it where the battery currently is. I don't think I could fit both battery & Ice Box up front unless maybe if I mounted the battery in front of the front passenger wheel or use a very small battery (guess I need to start doing some measuring and see what's possible). Regarding the ZZP FMHE I totally agree it's not idea, which is why I'm going to get the frozenboost one and just sale the ZZP FMHE on e-bay, hopefully with not too much of a loss, hmm Dennis your statement about keeping lines away from the cooling lines, did give me an idea it might be smart to run one of the hoses next to the A/C lines for possible additional cooling, not that I think it would be much or noticeable but it couldn't hurt.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run the ZZP full stack, frozen boost FMHE, "upgraded" bosch cobra pump and a coolant tank from a FWD GM car. I know my ZZP short stack is on the small side for my application but its compact and clean. I may add meth or water injection in the future.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock