Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any other Northstar/F23 combos out there?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any other Northstar/F23 combos out there? by 1986 Fiero GT
Started on: 05-01-2015 01:32 AM
Replies: 7 (422 views)
Last post by: Internet-man on 09-28-2015 12:51 AM
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It occurred to me that I might be the first, as I've not seen another. Here's mine. It almost runs. Almost.

You can almost see the F23 wedged in there over to left. Forgive the crappy cell phone pictures.

Here's a slightly better picture of my F23 installed:

...and a closeup of the beefcake-ass mount I put together for the rear of the trans:

\

I don't have a great picture of the front, but I made another double-shear type mount up front on poly which attaches to the bottom front of the trans case.

So, anybody else have this combo? Looking to buy HPTuners at the beginning of next week, so I think I'll have it running soon. Any opinions on this combo?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done it yet, but I was wanting to put an f23 behind there. Your mount looks really well done. I don't even want to post pictures of one of my engine mounts! I'll end up re doing it sooner then later

------------------

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the difference between the F23 and the stock 282? Both are 5 speed Getrags. Also, since you obviously had to have custom adapter plates, mounts, etc anyway, why not go with the F40? I'm not dissing your choice of transmission as I don't know jack about any of them, just curious. (Personally, I think the 5 speeds in my stock 282 is plenty, especially behind the 3800.)
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

What's the difference between the F23 and the stock 282? Both are 5 speed Getrags. Also, since you obviously had to have custom adapter plates, mounts, etc anyway, why not go with the F40? I'm not dissing your choice of transmission as I don't know jack about any of them, just curious. (Personally, I think the 5 speeds in my stock 282 is plenty, especially behind the 3800.)

The F23 is a 3 shaft design, much smoother to shift, MUCH stronger, better ratios, and available with LSD from the factory if you swap the bell with an ecotec F23. The F40 cannot use the same axles, many of them are noisy and the ratios suck. You have one extra gear that is just a wasted shift

You could very well blow the guts out of your 282 if you wanted to with that L36. F23, not gonna happen.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Is the F23 a direct swap for the 282? Is it an expensive swap?

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, 1986 Fiero GT.)
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Thanks. Is the F23 a direct swap for the 282? Is it an expensive swap?

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, 1986 Fiero GT.)

Not at all, that's why we start them!

Slammed nailed it above. Exactly the reasons why I went with the F23 over Getrag 282 or F40. I do own every single one of those transmissions, by the way.

I bought my F23 from a ~75K mile Cavalier. It cost me $250. I actually had an F40, made the mounts and even had it bolted to the motor on the cradle. I ripped it off and sold it so I didn't have to deal with the custom flywheel, axles, clutch, shifter and shifter cables. Both transmissions are available with the 60V6 bolt pattern and as such will bolt up to any motor featuring the same. Northstar included.

All the F23 really requires are custom mounts, a custom cable bracket at the transmission and a custom select cable available from California Push-Pull. The Fiero Getrag 282 axles, flywheels, clutches, shifter and shifter cable work just perfectly with the F23. It's a way easier swap than an F40, and a much better transmission than the Getrag 282. If you're able to fab up the necessary custom parts yourself, you can do it for about $400 depending on how much your transmission costs you.

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 05-04-2015).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's way down near the bottom of my priority list, but it is something I'd like to do eventually.

Nice job...

Bob
Internet-man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I've been looking around and hoping to find a build thread with this combo. I really want to do an F23/shortstar in mine after I get out of school. I guess there isn't one though. It seems that it's too rare.
Hope we get some more pics as things progress.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock