Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Plasti-dippers unite! (Need pictures, etc)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Plasti-dippers unite! (Need pictures, etc) by Synthesis
Started on: 04-20-2015 05:56 PM
Replies: 11 (520 views)
Last post by: KaijuSenso on 04-23-2015 06:24 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a phone call today regarding a news story being done on the phenomenon that is Plasti-Dip, and have been asked to interview and show my Fiero as part of it.

If you have plasti-dipped your Fiero or any other vehicles, or have done your wheels, etc and would like to possibly get your image on TV, please post your stuff here or email them to me at my contact email in my profile.

Please include your name when you email me for proper accreditation.

If you are a Fiero guy in the area and have something dipped, get ahold of me. Interview is Wednesday at my place shortly after work. Bring your dipped toy by for some fun and festivities.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 'dipped' c-6 vet was at the last C&C. It had the Flip/Flop dip and looked pretty good. Also a 69 Camaro had a gloss red dip that was done perfectly --- As always, it's in the prep and don't expect more than two years (parked outside) (three years inside) according to the owners.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I havent done my Fieros with plasti dip, but did do my old Sonoma's wheels as well as ghost flames.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2015).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am literally working on this project as we speak. Sadly my project keeps getting held up by needing more materials and the mail is so slow (my quart of thinner arrived completely empty for example)

Too bad I can't make it by tomorrow, the goal now is to have it dipped by the weekend.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I finally finish mine, I'm planing to Dip it... I tried a can of the plain Red on my fender, I kinda like it... I need opinions! Sorry to hijack, but I have a 87 GT with Tan interior. I like the dark cherry dip, especially with a pearl... Any suggestions?

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

BabyEating Dingo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyEating DingoSend a Private Message to BabyEating DingoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did my silver GT rims in matte black base + gold flake, came out fantastic.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BabyEating Dingo:

Did my silver GT rims in matte black base + gold flake, came out fantastic.

Your wheel looks great. Your tire... not so much.

BabyEating Dingo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyEating DingoSend a Private Message to BabyEating DingoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the "tricks" of plastidipping wheels is that you don't need to cover up the tires. Plasti dip doesn't adhere to the rubber, so you can just spray it off with the pressure washer at any car wash.
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck on the interview. Who and what station is doing it and when do they think it will air? Didn't DIYSTU's car get a dip job at Shipman's a few years back? Great before and after pictures as I remember.

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

Good luck on the interview. Who and what station is doing it and when do they think it will air? Didn't DIYSTU's car get a dip job at Shipman's a few years back? Great before and after pictures as I remember.

Indeed it did.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interview went good.

I expected it to be more about the car and less about me, but it ended up being about the people who like the product.

The car was obviously very heavily featured, I just hope it turns out OK.

I had to correct a couple of flaws in the existing dip job from where it sat outside over the winter and they filmed that.

We talked about why I liked it (because you can experiment with it, see what you like, etc), the issues with it (it doesn't cover up blemishes and poor paint) and they even filmed me applying a stripe to the car with my spray gun.
The stripe applied very nicely, but I didn't give it enough coats. I was worried the tape I had laid out would set against the dip and peel it when I pulled the tape so I pulled it early.

Peeling it loose wasn't as easy as a full sheet as I applied it thin.

All in all, it was a good interview and I look forward to it.

It airs on Sunday night on KARE11 in the Minneapolis/St Paul area during the "Land of 10,000 Stories" segment.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 04-23-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully we can get an online copy of the interview.

Originally I was a nay-sayer about plasti-dip on cars but I thought I'd give it a shot to see what the hype is about. Even for a complicated job, and buying all the fancy equipment and products to do it, it's still coming in at well under half the cost of a similar paint job, not including prep work. It's also pretty darn easy to do compared to base/clear paint so I can see why the average person likes it as an option.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock